The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

yahooyahoo said:

mjc said:

one short yesterday, and they wouldn't take hoyden.  instead, it was hoodoo.  oh well.

Same for me.  Hoodoo was my downfall.

you need to listen to more Creedence

I never would have gotten it if not for that song. 

Agreed. I got it that day too, even though there were a lot of dumb words. Missed it by two words yesterday, and relieved to get to genius today.

ml1
said:

today is a good day to go for it.

zucca said:

Agreed. I got it that day too, even though there were a lot of dumb words. Missed it by two words yesterday, and relieved to get to genius today.

ml1
said:

today is a good day to go for it.

yesterday I didn't get the pangram, which was pretty easy ("occupant"). I think I just stopped looking for it after I got to genius. It felt like one of those days I wasn't ever going to get to QB.  And it was, I probably never would have "coact" and "octant."

Got to QB for the first time in weeks today! Stewed for quite a while and when it came to me it was a “duh”

Only miss yesterday was Pampa.

jimmurphy said:

Got to QB for the first time in weeks today! Stewed for quite a while and when it came to me it 

was a “duh”

Only miss yesterday was Pampa.

Congrats! 

My roll continues grin 

Got QB today. Fourth time in the past 2 weeks. 

ml1 said:

Congrats! 

My roll continues  

Got QB today. Fourth time in the past 2 weeks. 

It’s been close but no cigar too many times to count.

Well done!

Congrats to all the Queen Bee-ers recently, especially ml1--you're on a hot streak! Got QB today for the first time in a few months. Woo hoo!

KarenMarlowe said:

Congrats to all the Queen Bee-ers recently, especially ml1--you're on a hot streak! Got QB today for the first time in a few months. Woo hoo!

congrats from me too  question  I also got QB today for the first time in months...those QBs come few and far between for me...this is only my third one of the year.

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

congrats from me too 
question
  I also got QB today for the first time in months...those QBs come few and far between for me...this is only my third one of the year.

Hooray! Good job! 

Got QB with hints today. Was 2 short. 

So with hints I'm at 6 QBs in the past 2 weeks grin

today is a tough one. I've got 50 words and I'm still 5 short. Not sure if I can manage to get the last few.

ml1 said:

today is a tough one. I've got 50 words and I'm still 5 short. Not sure if I can manage to get the last few.

12 words short. Happy with genius. 

KarenMarlowe said:

12 words short. Happy with genius. 

7 words short and quite happy with Genius. Looks like more of the same today...made it to Genius but still 5 short of QB

alha said:

7 words short and quite happy with Genius. Looks like more of the same today...made it to Genius but still 5 short of QB

No genius today. Might revisit but very tough.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

No genius today. Might revisit but very tough.

got genius yesterday and came up 5 short. If I kept at it I might have got 2 or 3 more. But "nucleon" was not in my vocabulary, so QB was not going to happen.

Today has me stalled just short of genius right now. But I'll plug away. QB seems like it's not happening today for sure.

got to Genius. But WAY short of QB, so I doubt it's happening today.

ml1 said:

got to Genius. But WAY short of QB, so I doubt it's happening today.

I doubt QB is happening today for me either....even though I made it to Genius and am only 3 words short of QB,. I simply can't figure them out. I'm throwing in the towel.

alha said:

I doubt QB is happening today for me either....even though I made it to QB and am only 3 words short. I simply can't figure them out. I'm throwing in the towel.

4 short of QB here too.

one short (with hints, as usual), looks like it's 4 letters, and i'm just not seeing it.

must.not.spend.more.time, right?

13 short today, but at genius. I'm gonna take it. 

BTW, I got "nucleon." I was just fiddling with letters and it came up. Imagine my surprise!

"BTW, I got "nucleon." I was just fiddling with letters and it came up. Imagine my surprise!"

Ditto. : )

(yesterday, my missing word was "dace," apparently a fish. seems as though a fish name tripped me up before?  maybe i should get out more.)

Missed QB by one word yesterday. Ironically, it was "gimme."

I gave up with 5 words to go. I should have got 4 of them. But I was never going to get "tittle."  Had never heard that word before.  And for some reason, I almost always miss "melee." Must have a block on that one.

ml1 said:

I gave up with 5 words to go. I should have got 4 of them. But I was never going to get "tittle."  Had never heard that word before.  And for some reason, I almost always miss "melee." Must have a block on that one.

I always get tittle because I always try for tittie. LOL! Must be the ten year old boy in me.

I missed gelee and melee. Just not good on those -ee words. And today I have about 40 points to go.

Yesterday was the hardest puzzle ever. I was not ever going to get about a half dozen of those words. 

ml1 said:

Yesterday was the hardest puzzle ever. I was not ever going to get about a half dozen of those words. 

Very hard. Never heard of "phablet." Only got to amazing. Oh well...

Agreed.  I was never ever going to get phablet (totally new to me), heeltap, or heptathlete.  (and in fact the spell check here on MOL does not recognize any of them, either, so there).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.