The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

It's been awhile since I've visited this thread - jimmurphy I would say is crushing it with all of the QBs.

I still don't think I've achieved one yet.

Today has an I in the middle.  I don't know why I have an issue with I words.  I really hate them in scrabble tiles as well.

I'm finding today challenging - and I hate that they don't accept so many medical words. A week or so ago they didn't accept urticaria and there are two perfectly good medical words today that they don't recognize. As Groucho Marx used to say "it's a common word ...."

I got the QB yesterday. Admit that I used the hints for my last word which was "wigwagging." I didn't even know "wigwag" is a word. I just guessed it. But after I did I shouldn't have needed a hint to get wigwagging. 

QB-3 yesterday.I thought of wigwag when I wasn’t in front of the puzzle, but never put it in. Don’t think I would have gotten wigwagging. Did not get awing and never would have.

jimmurphy said:

QB-3 yesterday.I thought of wigwag when I wasn’t in front of the puzzle, but never put it in. Don’t think I would have gotten wigwagging. Did not get awing and never would have.

Yeah, I missed wigwag, wigwagging and wanna. Oh well!

I don't have the patience to get QB today. Lot of words, and it's too nice outside to be spending it looking at the Spelling Bee screen grin

KarenMarlowe said:

Yeah, I missed wigwag, wigwagging and wanna. Oh well!

those were the three I missed too.

ml1 said:

I don't have the patience to get QB today. Lot of words, and it's too nice outside to be spending it looking at the Spelling Bee screen
grin

I'm struggling to make it to QB today and may have to settle for Amazing.

eta: just went back, took another look, saw another word, and just like that, made it to Genius after all.

alha said:

ml1 said:

I don't have the patience to get QB today. Lot of words, and it's too nice outside to be spending it looking at the Spelling Bee screen
grin

I'm struggling to make it to QB today and may have to settle for Amazing.

eta: just went back, took another look, saw another word, and just like that, made it to Genius after all.

I got to genius, but unlikely to get to QB. 

QB-1 today (5/30). Just couldn’t see it.

Looking forward to seeing if I learn something or just missed it…

ETA: Bootee.   Have never seen it spelled with anything other than ie. The vexing alternate spelling strikes again. Grrr..

Got it today. One strange epiphany word. Must have been in a prior puzzle.

I got Queen Bee as well. I'll post tomorrow because my screenshot has number of words and points. I was just playing around with letters for the last word and was shocked. I had no idea it was a word...

KarenMarlowe said:

I got Queen Bee as well. I'll post tomorrow because my screenshot has number of words and points. I was just playing around with letters for the last word and was shocked. I had no idea it was a word...

bet I know the word

jimmurphy said:

bet I know the word

same

Yeah, it was “gavage,” which spellcheck doesn’t even recognize on my phone. Changed it to garage three times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

KarenMarlowe said:

Yeah, it was “gavage,” which spellcheck doesn’t even recognize on my phone. Changed it to garage three times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

missed QB yesterday by one word....and of course that word was "gavage"...today, again, I'm one word short of QB.  smirk

Yay Jim!  I'm one short again today, and gotta stop spending time on it, look at the time! : )

mjc said:

Yay Jim!  I'm one short again today, and gotta stop spending time on it, look at the time! : )

Thanks mjc!

Got to genius. Unlikely to get to QB today... grin Congrats, jimmurphy!

Thanks KarenMarlowe. Call me Jim. grin

jimmurphy said:

Thanks KarenMarlowe. Call me Jim.
grin

Karen is good. grin

I should have tried harder yesterday. Four words short and every one of them was a common word. 

jimmurphy said:

On a roll…

on a roll is putting it mildly...you practically have the QB market cornered  grin congrats once again, and again, and again  question

mjc said:

you and me both....my one missing word was "tycoon" no less, a word I should have gotten.

Missed five words yesterday, and one was "tycoon." SMH.

Tycoon was my last word that day.

Long one today. At 34/244 and only Great.

ETA: OK 35/249 is Amazing, so QB approaches 500! Not happenin’ today…

jimmurphy said:

Tycoon was my last word that day.

Long one today. At 34/244 and only Great.

ETA: OK 35/249 is Amazing, so QB approaches 500! Not happenin’ today…

I just started and have 30/167. Not going to get to QB today. 

My hat is off to anyone that got QB yesterday (6/5).

Yesterday was Sunday and gorgeous and when I saw I needed about 7 million points to finish, I barely began! They should have saved that one for the dead of winter. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!