The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

KarenMarlowe said:

And what about iodide? That should be included, dammit!

I’ve made peace with words not being on the list.

I did get doxed and doxxed by guessing on doxed,  but still think the algorithm should reduce the word count by one and give you credit for either word.

Two spellings of the same word should not be a goal.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I did get doxed and doxxed by guessing on doxed,  but still think the algorithm should reduce the word count by one and give you credit for either word.

last week I missed a QB by two words. One was "nunchuk" and I had already found "nunchuck".

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

last week I missed a QB by two words. One was "nunchuk" and I had already found "nunchuck".

Yeah, me too.

I should also add that I got the Wordle in two steps today.  So all in all, a very good puzzle-solving day grin

Me three.

KarenMarlowe said:

Yeah, me too..

I wouldn't have got QB yesterday because I didn't know the word "eidetic". But I also missed "deice" and "deiced", which I've always considered hyphenated words. To the extent that when I saw the solution this morning I stared at that word for a minute trying to figure out what meant -- thinking it was a one syllable word pronounced "dace." After a minute or so the light bulb went on - "oh! de-ice!"  vampire

ml1 said:

I wouldn't have got QB yesterday because I didn't know the word "eidetic". But I also missed "deice" and "deiced", which I've always considered hyphenated words. To the extent that when I saw the solution this morning I stared at that word for a minute trying to figure out what meant -- thinking it was a one syllable word pronounced "dace." After a minute or so the light bulb went on - "oh! de-ice!" 
vampire

Got QB yesterday.  Eidetic was my last word, which I had earlier spelled "idetic" numerous times.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

I wouldn't have got QB yesterday because I didn't know the word "eidetic". But I also missed "deice" and "deiced", which I've always considered hyphenated words. To the extent that when I saw the solution this morning I stared at that word for a minute trying to figure out what meant -- thinking it was a one syllable word pronounced "dace." After a minute or so the light bulb went on - "oh! de-ice!" 
vampire

Got QB yesterday.  Eidetic was my last word, which I had earlier spelled "idetic" numerous times.

I got eidetic, but I didn't have time for QB. Today, I did. Queen Beeeeeeeeee! LOL!

ETA: Congratulations! Yesterday's was a bear!

One word shy of QB yesterday. Missed “blackball.” Just couldn’t see it. I’ve said before, those compound words always get me. 

I missed "babka" and "balalaika."
I had never heard of a balalaika.

missed only one yesterday -- "balalaika."  And I know what it is. From the first time I heard "Back in the USSR."

missed "balalaika" too...never heard of it before... and missed 4 others I should have gotten, 

I got balalaika because of "Back in the USSR." 

Balalaika was my only miss too. Didn’t know it.

One away today as well. 9-letter word…

ETA: Word was Octillion.  I finally have Nonillion in there and they add another -illion. Grr. 

jimmurphy said:

ETA: Word was Octillion.  I finally have Nonillion in there and they add another -illion. Grr. 

I doubt I'll miss "octillion" again. There are a few words that stick with me after missing them grin

jimmurphy said:

and you knew it was a 9-letter word. Does that mean you used the hints? grin

Balalaika was my only miss the other day, too.  I know the word, but would never never have thought of it.  Yesterday, though, one of my 3 misses was onion, AGAIN.  What can i say.  Today is tough for me, what will it turn out i am missing??

ml1 said:

and you knew it was a 9-letter word. Does that mean you used the hints?
grin

Yes, I've taken up your habit to check the first line to see how many more words to decide whether or not to go for it. 

mjc said:

Balalaika was my only miss the other day, too.  I know the word, but would never never have thought of it.  Yesterday, though, one of my 3 misses was onion, AGAIN.  What can i say.  Today is tough for me, what will it turn out i am missing??

Same thing happened to me with "onion."  I must remember "onion" whenever "nonillion" comes up, assuming the center letter is not L.

Just got QB!  Last two were stabs.

I was very close yesterday. Would have come within one if I kept at it a little longer. Would not have got "felid," which is kind of funny, given my avatar.  Was that one of your guesses?

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

I was very close yesterday. Would have come within one if I kept at it a little longer. Would not have got "felid," which is kind of funny, given my avatar.  Was that one of your guesses?

jimmurphy said:

Felid and fobbed, in that order.

missed "felid" too...but also missed "biff" and "biffed"

jimmurphy said:

Felid and fobbed, in that order.

"Fobbed" is used in the Traveling Wilburys' song "Handle With Care," which I've sung grin

Missed QB by one word yesterday: "mandala." Grrrr!

KarenMarlowe said:

Adman and naan for me.  I always get naan, but adman...

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I missed a handful, but I would have never gotten "farad."

yahooyahoo said:

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I missed a handful, but I would have never gotten "farad."

I thought I remembered it from HS physics, but I definitely know it from somewhere. I often miss naan, only got adman because I got madman. LOL!

KarenMarlowe said:

I thought I remembered it from HS physics, but I definitely know it from somewhere. I often miss naan, only got adman because I got madman. LOL!

"farad" and "mandala" were the two that kept me from QB yesterday.

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

"farad" and "mandala" were the two that kept me from QB yesterday.

Bummer. I will admit I had to spell farad a few ways, including with an "n." I knew it was a word; just couldn't remember how to spell it. It's named after Faraday(?). If so, that should be an easy mnemonic. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!