The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Well done. I was referring to a word that you mentioned as a nemesis of sorts, when I brought up nonillion. Maybe I’m misremembering…

Definitely. One of the four is that word. I will not miss it again grin

Also I did NOT miss my friend's last name this time grin 

4 pangrams today. I don't recall ever seeing that many on a single day.

Just got QB!  

One word was a complete guess by stringing letters together - not in my vocabulary, until now!

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB!  

One word was a complete guess by stringing letters together - not in my vocabulary, until now!

I had the same experience yesterday. At the end, I could have sworn I was looking for one five-letter word, but it ended up being five 4-letter words.

zucca said:

I had the same experience yesterday. At the end, I could have sworn I was looking for one five-letter word, but it ended up being five 4-letter words.

Waul was my guess.

jimmurphy said:

Waul was my guess.

I had bizarrely gotten that earlier but that was also my son’s last word. 
And yesterday I was happy just to get to genius. Today is going better but with 15/16 to go for QB, I’m not sure I’ll get there. 

zucca said:

I had bizarrely gotten that earlier but that was also my son’s last word. 
And yesterday I was happy just to get to genius. Today is going better but with 15/16 to go for QB, I’m not sure I’ll get there. 

Got stuck at 37/142 today.

1 of 2 spellings of nunchuck (nunchuk)  kept me from QB yesterday. 

Don’t think I’ll ever adjust to that.

Annoying

jimmurphy said:

Annoying

I only missed 2.  If I kept at it I probably would have got "minim".  But there's no way I would have realized there was another spelling for nunchuk.  

jimmurphy said:

Annoying

Very annoying, I agree. I missed one of the spellings and "minim."

I missed nunchuk and unkink. I actually got minim before minimum. Oh well...

My 15 missing points were the two nunchu(c)ks.

I'm going to come up one word short today. I'm stumped. And I'm sure when I see the answers tomorrow I'll be missing a really common word. 

missed by "fora" yesterday. Feel like I should have got it, but it's one of those words that even though I know what it means, is so uncommonly used, it's not exactly a no-brainer.

ml1 said:

missed by "fora" yesterday. Feel like I should have got it, but it's one of those words that even though I know what it means, is so uncommonly used, it's not exactly a no-brainer.

Got fora, missed falloff.

Queen Bee for the first time in a long while. I won't post it now because it gives word count and points, but maybe tomorrow.

KarenMarlowe said:

Queen Bee for the first time in a long while. I won't post it now because it gives word count and points, but maybe tomorrow.

Great job! I bogged down far away at 19/77.

jimmurphy said:

congrats on your QB  question I missed it by two yesterday:  eightieth (which I should have gotten) and twee (which I never would have gotten)

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

congrats on your QB 
question
I missed it by two yesterday:  eightieth (which I should have gotten) and twee (which I never would have gotten)

I remember seeing twee before, that's the only reason I got it. My last word was "whew" which is how I felt after I got it! grin

Fuggetabout QB today. Struggling to Genius.

jimmurphy said:

I'm just struggling to get to Amazing... You can't win them all. Ha!

jimmurphy said:

Definitely no QB in sight for me either. I struggled to get to Genius, and even managed to squeeze out another 20 points past that, but that's probably it for me for today.

eta: I spoke too soon...just found another word and am now at 26 points over.

alha said:

Definitely no QB in sight for me either. I struggled to get to Genius, and even managed to squeeze out another 20 points past that, but that's probably it for me for today.

eta: I spoke too soon...just found another word and am now at 26 points over.

today is going to be tough. I was too busy yesterday to spend much time so I didn't even make genius. If I had the time to give it a little more effort I think I would have gotten QB. No words that were unfamiliar. 

Kept it in the background and got to 65/336, but I’m done.

jimmurphy said:

Kept it in the background and got to 65/336, but I’m done.

Too many words! I quit at amazing...

got QB today. I figured playing regularly would eventually pay off. A couple of words that I probably wouldn't have got, except that they were in a puzzle fairly recently.  Today is a good day to go for it. Not many unfamiliar words.

I got "doxxed" but not "doxed."  Annoying.
Also, how is "dioxin" not included?

ml1 said:

got QB today. I figured playing regularly would eventually pay off. A couple of words that I probably wouldn't have got, except that they were in a puzzle fairly recently.  Today is a good day to go for it. Not many unfamiliar words.

just got it too. Thanks for the encouragement to keep going!

yahooyahoo said:

I got "doxxed" but not "doxed."  Annoying.
Also, how is "dioxin" not included?

And what about iodide? That should be included, dammit!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!