The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

there must be a THIRD puzzle today.  At Genius with only 12/45.

yeah, I’m at Amazing with 16/39, although I do have a lot of 4-letter words. 

ETA just got to Genius at 17/45.

A third has not popped up for me.

maybe the one I see now is the first one you were seeing?  

ml1 said:

I cant get back to the first one anymore.  Genius was about 145, I think. QB was 209 with 43 words.  Couldn't quite get there.

Not quite sure which puzzle is the first, second or third today for today. I woke up this morning to an old puzzle that was already solved and then checked back later to find a new puzzle for today...center letter O.

Got QB on Puzzle 2, (center letter “O”)

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

I cant get back to the first one anymore.  Genius was about 145, I think. QB was 209 with 43 words.  Couldn't quite get there.

the first puzzle I started had QB at 49 words.  I was at Genius, but still quite away from QB.  So it seems like they replaced the first two puzzles of the day with a third one.  It has fewer words, and at least one English word that is as common IMHO as recent words like "raita" is not included.  It's the name of a musical instrument that is in current use in the U.S., so it's not like it's super obscure, so not sure why it's not in today's list.  

jimmurphy said:

Got QB on Puzzle 2, (center letter “O”)

wow!  question I'm impressed by how often you make it to QB...about as often as I miss it by one word...which is likely to happen once more today.  I'm stuck at 19/61 and am about to give up.

alha said:

I'm impressed by how often you make it to QB...about as often as I miss it by one word...which is likely to happen once more today.  I'm stuck at 19/61 and am about to give up.

Thanks! Lots of returning and shuffling throughout the day. Some memorization. Have no idea what “attar” means, for example…

ETA - a fragrant essential oil, apparently.

Just got the puzzle with center letter "o". We will see how far I can get.

KarenMarlowe said:

So weird right?

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

So weird right?

Yup! Got to genius pretty quickly, but got to three words short. Oh well... 

I've also had that strange effect!  I got distracted and left the game before I got to any substantial score yesterday (my time - 13 hours ahead of NJ), but when I looked in today it seems as though I've missed the entire centre letter 'O' game.

Next game has 'B' as the centre letter.

I should have hung in there yesterday.  Missed three words, all of which were in a puzzle a few days ago.

ml1 said:

I should have hung in there yesterday.  Missed three words, all of which were in a puzzle a few days ago.

Yeah, I missed three easy words. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

KarenMarlowe said:

and my one missing word yesterday was "ouzo"...a word I thought I had included in my list but alas not.

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

and my one missing word yesterday was "ouzo"...a word I thought I had included in my list but alas not.

I hate when that happens. Often, I am sure I guessed a word only to find it not included the next day. Did I spell it wrong or just forget? I'll never know. 

Sometimes i think those "missing" words come from exiting the game in some "wrong" way.  There are times when i know my word count was higher than it shows when i come back.  Sometimes i can remember the missing words, sometimes not.  Good thing it's just a game : )

Queen Bee yesterday.  It felt like one of the least difficult days since I started playing.

Did anyone get the puzzle with “lavatory” as the Pangram yesterday?

jimmurphy said:

Yes, until 6pm when I got the new puzzle. Along with all my solved words.

jimmurphy said:

yes. I made it to Genius, and was still about 10 words short when it went away

KarenMarlowe said:

Yes, until 6pm when I got the new puzzle. Along with all my solved words.

ml1 said:

yes. I made it to Genius, and was still about 10 words short when it went away

I was two words away and knew I wasn’t getting them, but it’s frustrating to not know what they were.

I did that one yesterday, got lavatory as the pangram, got to Genius, and was curious to know what I had left out. But when I went to Spelling Bee this morning that wasn’t the puzzle that popped up with yesterday’s answers. Instead there was a short one I had never seen. And today’s puzzle with « b ». in the middle seems very familiar—dare I say stale.?

QB today!

(Edited to delete image of total, for those who prefer not to know)

Yes! It's a great day to go for Queen! 

(But I'm glad I got there before looking here, because it's more fun for me when I don't know the number of words or which of two totals I'm aiming for.)

The only "hint" I check is the number of words (mostly to know if I should call it a day when I'm still far short).  Got the QB today, and it's a great day to go for it.  There wasn't a single word that wasn't in my vocabulary grin

Congrats to yesterday's QBs. I should have been there with you were it not for "unpin" and "unpinning"...both of which I should have gotten. 

alha said:

Congrats to yesterday's QBs. I should have been there with you were it not for "unpin" and "unpinning"...both of which I should have gotten. 

I got them because they were words I missed in a puzzle from just a few days ago. 

ml1 said:

I got them because they were words I missed in a puzzle from just a few days ago. 

Hoping you got your other word today.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Hoping you got your other word today.

I didn't get the QB, and I think I'm done  trying. But I got about 4 words I learned specifically from playing Spelling Bee grin

ml1 said:

I didn't get the QB, and I think I'm done  trying. But I got about 4 words I learned specifically from playing Spelling Bee
grin

Well done. I was referring to a word that you mentioned as a nemesis of sorts, when I brought up nonillion. Maybe I’m misremembering…

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!