The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jamie said:

Bimbo is not a word?

It's not a polite word.

I'm upset that timolol isn't included. It's an often used ophthalmic beta blocker used for some cases of glaucoma. Grrrr.

jamie said:

Bimbo is not a word?

Yeah, I wondered about that. 

marylago said:

jamie said:

Bimbo is not a word?

As @drummerboy noted (a couple of posts above) ... it's not a polite word.

Meanwhile, 'moil'?

There must be other impolite words they count. (I, too, was miffed about “bimbo.” I bet if the right letters were there, they’d accept “floosie” or “harlot”!)

Heynj said:

There must be other impolite words they count. (I, too, was miffed about “bimbo.” I bet if the right letters were there, they’d accept “floosie” or “harlot”!)

well, he's nothing if not inconsistent.

drummerboy said:

It's not a polite word.

Dildo was a word the day before.

Fun fact: I called my brother a dildo at the dinner table as a teenager, having no idea what it was. Just thought it was kinda like doophus. 

My Mom told me it was “not a nice word.”

marksierra said:

marylago said:

jamie said:

Bimbo is not a word?

As @drummerboy noted (a couple of posts above) ... it's not a polite word.

Meanwhile, 'moil'?

Yeah, I thought it was mohel, but tried it anyway and got it. Must mean something else?

Only word I missed yesterday was motto, which I got the day before and many other days.

Oy.

jamie said:

Bimbo is not a word?

I had the same question.

Heynj said:

well, bimbo has a sexist connotation. I'm sure that's why it was left out. I'd bet he'd omit floosie, but maybe leave harlot. I guess it depends on his mood.

and moil is not an alternative spelling of mohel. moil is a pretty obscure word.

MILT however, is not obscure! grrr

jimmurphy said:

drummerboy said:

It's not a polite word.

Dildo was a word the day before.

Fun fact: I called my brother a dildo at the dinner table as a teenager, having no idea what it was. Just thought it was kinda like doophus. 

My Mom told me it was “not a nice word.”

A long, long time ago, when I hadn't even reached my teenage years, I called my mother a series of unprintable names.  They were words I'd heard the senior students use in the school yard.

She calmly told me not to use language like that until I knew what the words meant.

and milo (re: 7/10)

Am I hallucinating that “pride GOETH before” a fall is an actual thing? Apparently. I have gone in and out of today’s letters often enough, I imagine I am delirious. I got to Genius, second time ever, but at great cost to my brain!

Made Genius for the third time ever, which is both good news and bad news, because now I’m going to be that much more ticked at myself when I can only get like 24 points. However, without spoiling anything for anyone, my recommendation for today’s puzzle is: think past tense. 

Heynj said:

Made Genius for the third time ever, which is both good news and bad news, because now I’m going to be that much more ticked at myself when I can only get like 24 points. However, without spoiling anything for anyone, my recommendation for today’s puzzle is: think past tense. 

I'm at Amazing and only two points from Genius today. It's driving me crazy. I'm sure I missed something obvious.

I’m waiting for the day when there are the letters to spell M-O-R-O-N…and I don’t see it. Because it’s gonna happen. 

My miss, plus it’s past tense, yesterday (never heard of it):

Endue:

transitive verb

1: PROVIDE, ENDOWendued with the rights of a citizen2: IMBUE, TRANSFUSEa mummy again endued with animation— Mary W. Shelley3[Middle English induen; influenced by Latin induere to put on] : PUT ON, DON

jimmurphy said:

Endue:

transitive verb

1: PROVIDE, ENDOWendued with the rights of a citizen2: IMBUE, TRANSFUSEa mummy again endued with animation— Mary W. Shelley3[Middle English induen; influenced by Latin induere to put on] : PUT ON, DON

Yeah - "imbue" I know, but "endue" I would have thought meant something like "my keyboad cannot endue my typing and is weaing out."

PVW said:

jimmurphy said:

Endue:

transitive verb

Yeah - "imbue" I know, but "endue" I would have thought meant something like "my keyboad cannot endue my typing and is weaing out."

I guessed at it and got it right. 

One vowel? Today is gonna take a while.

jimmurphy said:

Easier than you think. Took 10 minutes to hit genius.

drummerboy said:

jimmurphy said:

Yeah, I was going to say, at least the one vowel was "e." Took me longer than that, though...

I actually like it when they're constrained like that as it's easier to guess plausible combinations.

drummerboy said:

I stepped away for a bit and then came back and saw it all. Helpful when there are many forms of the same words.

Long time lurker, first time poster on this thread  

Why is there no timer like there is on the daily puzzle?

I think it took me about 15 mins. this morning. I typically hit Genius (the OCD in me - I’ll put it down and go back to it later in the day) but occasionally I can’t do it.  

Does anyone else save a list of words and hyperlinks to definitions that they’re going to email to buzzwords@nytimes.com?

Victorian sensibilities  Maybe dildos have been around that long.

I tend to be overly curious, but I can’t bring myself to look up the history of the dildo. I truly don’t want to know  

drummerboy said:

well, he's nothing if not inconsistent.

yahooyahoo said:

Heynj said:

I'm at Amazing and only two points from Genius today. It's driving me crazy. I'm sure I missed something obvious.

All of us have been there, my brother!

drummerboy said:

jimmurphy said:

Not as bad as it looks.  I got up to genius.

BaseballMom said:

I think it took me about 15 mins. this morning. I typically hit Genius (the OCD in me - I’ll put it down and go back to it later in the day) but occasionally I can’t do it.  

Does anyone else save a list of words and hyperlinks to definitions that they’re going to email to buzzwords@nytimes.com?

I've emailed them a couple of times about missing words.  I got a response once.

yahooyahoo said:

BaseballMom said:

I've emailed them a couple of times about missing words.  I got a response once.

I emailed once. The response was unsatisfying. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!