The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

No bubula?
grin

Go a bit older...

marksierra said:

Go a bit older...

My Yiddish is limited. ;-)

Just figured it out. I had that word, but had no idea that it was the older form as opposed to a different use here in the US.

jimmurphy said:

marksierra said:

Go a bit older...

My Yiddish is limited. ;-)

Just figured it out. I had that word, but had no idea that it was the older form as opposed to a different use here in the US.

I have no idea what some of the words used in the US are.  I'm very surprised when I look up the answers the next day ... 'You call that a word???"

(My Yiddish is limited, too, despite many years of Yiddish school on a Sunday morning.  My grandfather, one of the founders of the Yiddish school in my home town, would have been very disappointed in me.)

I am stuck at 32/175. I am gonna give it up (I think). At least I got to genius (barely).

marylago said:

I am stuck at 32/175. I am gonna give it up (I think). At least I got to genius (barely).

I'm with you. Just waiting for the next morning's anguished embarrassment...

bikefixed said:

marylago said:

I'm with you. Just waiting for the next morning's anguished embarrassment...

I'm much the same ...  sitting on 34 / 193 (For central letter V <- adding this bit so we know what we were writing about when/if we look back at this thread.)

Time to brag. Reached genius rank for the first time today.

24 words / 132 points.

Same! Me, too. I only got it because of so much use of “ing,” but it was a day when I kind of needed the mental boost. So I’ll take it!!

yahooyahoo said:

Time to brag. Reached genius rank for the first time today.

24 words / 132 points.

woohoo...congrats to you  snake

Heynj said:

Same! Me, too. I only got it because of so much use of “ing,” but it was a day when I kind of needed the mental boost. So I’ll take it!!

I should have gotten it too with all those -ing words but missed it anyway. Oh well, at least two of us regulars made it to QB yesterday, and that's no small achievement any day.

Thought I’d bring up a strange phenomena.

Just now a relatively uncommon word popped into my head that works for today’s “D” puzzle, even though I was not consciously thinking about the puzzle.

Happens a few times a week. Like there’s some “program” running in the background working on the Bee.

Does this happen for anyone else here?

Not exactly. But in a way, it’s a twist on looking at the letters for the first time for two seconds and immediately seeing the pangram. Our brains are wild things working in wild ways. 

Heynj said:

Not exactly. But in a way, it’s a twist on looking at the letters for the first time for two seconds and immediately seeing the pangram. Our brains are wild things working in wild ways. 

Yeah, strange how sometimes that just happens and sometimes it doesn't.

Yes, not usually just like that, but if i go back to the puzzle in the course of the day, there are often a few more words "just waiting there" that i didn't see before.

jimmurphy said:

Just now a relatively uncommon word popped into my head that works for today’s “D” puzzle, even though I was not consciously thinking about the puzzle.

Happens a few times a week. Like there’s some “program” running in the background working on the Bee.

Yes, it happens to me too...out of the blue, a word will suddenly pop into my head for the puzzle of the day even though I'm not thinking about the puzzle at the moment. Strange but true for me too, even if not as often as a few times a week.

mjc said:

Yes, not usually just like that, but if i go back to the puzzle in the course of the day, there are often a few more words "just waiting there" that i didn't see before.

...definitely happens to me too!

alha said:

mjc said:

...definitely happens to me too!

Me too!

Although, I think sometimes, I just "get" it. Yesterday, I rolled through the puzzle. Today, I've been working on it all day and am just at amazing. Brains work in interesting ways...

And just what the hell is "tilth"?

condition of the soil

bikefixed said:

And just what the hell is "tilth"?

That and “hilling” got me too.

Much more common words are overlooked, but “tilth” makes it. I guess it is supposed to be instructional, in some way?

jimmurphy said:

The word yesterday was "codicil." One I have never spoken out loud.  

Today went pretty quick for me.

jimmurphy said:

jimmurphy said:

The word yesterday was "codicil." One I have never spoken out loud.  

Today went pretty quick for me.

And today? I am struggling... Go figure.

marylago said:

And today? I am struggling... Go figure.

me too

I got genius yesterday finally at 12:15am!

Today's puzzle, with its limited number of possible words, is the kind of puzzle which gives me a shot at QB. Í'm at 25 words/105 points...only 9 points away from QB...but I'm drawing a blank as to what that missing word(s) could be. 

alha said:

Today's puzzle, with its limited number of possible words, is the kind of puzzle which gives me a shot at QB. Í'm at 25 words/105 points...only 9 points away from QB...but I'm drawing a blank as to what that missing word(s) could be. 

25/108 here - same boat.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

25/108 here - same boat.

24/95. Calling it. Didn't even get to genius yesterday. 

Sorry, but MILT is definitely and unquestionably a word.

Bimbo is not a word?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!