The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

marksierra said:

Plenty of words to find in the latest game (Oct 21)

Sure are. I have found 32 so far and I am only at "great."

KarenMarlowe said:

Crazy number of words today, but they flowed.

QB-2 in about 20 minutes, then nada.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Crazy number of words today, but they flowed.

QB-2 in about 20 minutes, then nada.

32 words and one pangram and I've just reached "great." Need to take a break and resume during lunch.

I'm at 43 words and still pretty far short of Genius. Haven't looked yet, but I've got to believe today's QB is going to be around 70 words.

I tremendously overestimated the number of words for today's QB. I'm still 14 short at Genius, but it's not close to 70 words.

50 words and 309 points. Genius, but not QB...

49 words and 311 points.  I'm going to tap out unless I get bored later tonight.

3 short of QB and that's where I'm likely to end up for today.

52 words and 320 — I was pretty happy just to hit genius. But there's nothing like posting here to somehow help me find more words!

zucca said:

52 words and 320 — I was pretty happy just to hit genius. But there's nothing like posting here to somehow help me find more words!

Haha! Keep going! I just got QB. I don't think there is one word that is uncommon, but now I got QB, I can't go back and look... Spent too much time on it, but I feel I accomplished something. LOL!

KarenMarlowe said:

Haha! Keep going! I just got QB. I don't think there is one word that is uncommon, but now I got QB, I can't go back and look... Spent too much time on it, but I feel I accomplished something. LOL!

Nice! I got one more long one since then but still have a long way to go. Good thing it doesn’t keep track of how long we spend on it. At least the crossword was fast today.

KarenMarlowe said: "but now I got QB, I can't go back and look..."

PSA: just recently realized that you can X out of the congratulations pop-up and see your words again.

mjc said:

PSA: just recently realized that you can X out of the congratulations pop-up and see your words again.

Yes, I've discovered that, too.

mjc said:

Ohhh! I see that now. Thank you. Yeah, no words that were unusual. 

Way to go Karen! snake

My last word found was ovine. Only miss was ovoid - shoulda seen it.

I missed all four -ceived words. Argh!

jimmurphy said:

Way to go Karen!
snake

My last word found was ovine. Only miss was ovoid - shoulda seen it.

Thank you! My last two words were civic and vivid. 

KarenMarlowe said:

nice going on yesterday's QB  question  I mssed it by 3, two of which I should have gotten..."vivid" and "vended"...and one which I never would have gotten..."ovoid"....a word totally unfamiliar to me.

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

nice going on yesterday's QB 
question
  I mssed it by 3, two of which I should have gotten..."vivid" and "vended"...and one which I never would have gotten..."ovoid"....a word totally unfamiliar to me.

Thank you. I knew ovoid for some reason. 

I've been so close all week, just couldn't seal the deal. I got to genius today, but I am afraid I am not close to QB. Oh well...

KarenMarlowe said:

I've been so close all week, just couldn't seal the deal. I got to genius today, but I am afraid I am not close to QB. Oh well...

I'm so close today. Two away and feeling blocked. 

Just got the QB! Woot!

And the last two were “duhs.” 

Congrats!  3 short here, and not progressing.

eta: and just for posting here, got 1 more : )

eta: and QB.  Thanks for your help!

I wish I had stuck with it yesterday. I was 5 short and when I checked the solution today, all 5 were common words :-(

How is it that he included “Manhattan” the other day? Isn’t even the beverage called that always spelled with a capital letter?

Missed by 1 yesterday. "Ooze"

vampire

ml1 said:

Missed by 1 yesterday. "Ooze"

vampire

missed QB yesterday by 1 too but my missing word was "bazoo"

I weirdly got QB yesterday despite bazoo. No idea why I guessed that one. 

alha said:

me too.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

me too.

I managed QB.  I think I got "bazoo" throught many many guesses.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.