The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

QB yesterday.  My last word was zinnia.

congrats to all recent QB achievers  question and especially to Jim for his back-to-backer. The only back-to-back  I could reasonably aspire to would be a back-to-back monthly QB...sigh

Ummm.

QB times three!

On a roll…

Whoa. Missed yesterday by thou and tutee. Tutee is one I miss on the regular. Deadline day today, so gonna stop at Genius, most likely.

zucca said:

Whoa. Missed yesterday by thou and tutee. Tutee is one I miss on the regular. Deadline day today, so gonna stop at Genius, most likely.

Tutee was last word. I miss it all the time too.

jimmurphy said:

zucca said:

Tutee was last word. I miss it all the time too.

I'm at genius with fifty words. I think I will call it there...

Am I hallucinating, or is a “fatted” calf not a thing?!

Heynj said:

Am I hallucinating, or is a “fatted” calf not a thing?!

there are 3 or 4 words that don't count today that I'm pretty sure are real words, and not particularly obscure. 

The QB streak ends today. 

QB-3 since early this morning no matter how many times I go back to glance at it.

To continue the napa/panama topic to yesterday:  has anyone seen "delft" used without a capital D?

jimmurphy said:

The QB streak ends today. 

QB-3 since early this morning no matter how many times I go back to glance at it.

I'm also 3 short of QB today...and honored to be in such distinguished company  cheese

I have 11-12 points to go, so I guess I'm in about the same boat.

Further out than that. Wondering if just can’t see them or I’ll learn something.

I've got 95 points. I'm genius! I'll take it...

mjc said:

To continue the napa/panama topic to yesterday:  has anyone seen "delft" used without a capital D?

I let that one tick me off, too. 

One legitimate word not included yesterday that also would have been pangram:
defeatable

yahooyahoo said:

One legitimate word not included yesterday that also would have been pangram:
defeatable

yup.

also "flatted" is a real word in music as in "flatted fifth" that wasn't in that puzzle. Yesterday did not include "animatic" which is a fairly common term in film and TV. 

cody said:

Croft IS a word. Seems as if the editors of this game allow lots of slang/on-line usage, but don't allow words that anyone who is a gardener or who has ever done crossword puzzles would know in a heartbeat. I love the game, but...

I s’pose you’re pleased today.

Catmint?  New one on me.

Other misses were maintain (duh) and minyan.

jimmurphy said:

cody said:

Croft IS a word. Seems as if the editors of this game allow lots of slang/on-line usage, but don't allow words that anyone who is a gardener or who has ever done crossword puzzles would know in a heartbeat. I love the game, but...

Catmint?  New one on me.

Catmint was a new one for me also.

yahooyahoo said:

jimmurphy said:

cody said:

Catmint?  New one on me.

Catmint was a new one for me also.

Yes, I missed catmint as well.

I got catmint but missed minyan and tatami, two I usually get. Argh.

Missed 4 yesterday:

minyan, ok, learned something

caiman, got cayman, so totally wasn't looking for this

maintain and tatami, no excuse!

I was five short yesterday and I should have got four of them. But "catmint"? Not in a million years. Never heard of the word. And today's puzzle has the word I told jimmurphy I'll never miss again grin

ml1 said:

I was five short yesterday and I should have got four of them. But "catmint"? Not in a million years. Never heard of the word. And today's puzzle has the word I told jimmurphy I'll never miss again

I think I remember. Will confirm tomorrow.

QB-2 today. 

My hope is that all of us posting that we missed catmint will jog the collective memory next time.

Kinda like nonillion. 

I got “educe” and “educed” the other day that way.

One short today (with hints, as usual).  Really curious what it is.  Ran (sort of) down to the computer with what i thought was the answer, but "bad letter."  Definitely time to quit.

I'm 3 short today and blocked. I could use the hints but I'm watching baseball instead. 

I should have definitely got "paella" yesterday, but "appellee" and "palapa" weren't going to happen. "Allele" is the one I've pledged to never miss again. It's one of those words that has only 3 different letters so it comes up a lot. Like:

• alfalfa
  • llama
  • calla
  • canna
  • halal
  • melee

If I ever miss one of those, I'm kicking myself when I see the solution.

Plenty of words to find in the latest game (Oct 21)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.