The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. Got to genius today, but no way I am getting to QB again. Many points short. We can't all be queen everyday.
grin

Long may you reign. ;-)

QB minus 3, yet again. 

On mobile, I’m at 131 points. Many points shy of QB, but genius level. We can’t be QB every day. 

I got the QB with a hint today on the last word.  Was not familiar with the word so never would have gotten it without the hint. 

ml1 said:

I got the QB with a hint today on the last word.  Was not familiar with the word so never would have gotten it without the hint. 

I got genius, but missed about eight to ten words... 

KarenMarlowe said:

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. 
grin

Aroar

QB today. My first in a couple of weeks.

zucca said:

Aroar

Frequent crossword answer.

I didn't know that "auroral" is a word. And I don't understand how "amour" is acceptable but "viva" is not. 

And "aroar" was not in the puzzle yesterday 

ml1 said:

my point is that I feel that aroar is as much a word as some of the other allowed a- words, such as afoul. 

is it really a legit  QB if you look at hints? Not being a wisenheimer, just truly wondering lol.

Starsong said:

is it really a legit  QB if you look at hints? Not being a wisenheimer, just truly wondering lol.

I try not to use them. But to me it's legit if the hints are provided, it's all part of the game. 

I don't typically use the hints because it makes it too easy. With the hints I was getting 4 or 5 QBs a week. 

zucca said:

ml1 said:

my point is that I feel that aroar is as much a word as some of the other allowed a- words, such as afoul. 

I keep trying aroar...

KarenMarlowe said:

I keep trying aroar...

Me too. Dopey.

Got QB on the train home!

Another one of those words ml1 complains about (understandably) was my last.

Two other words I repeatedly try are facia and dado. Construction/woodworking terms.

fascia? but they might not take that either.  And no, they won't take dado, however many times i try...

mjc said:

fascia? but they might not take that either.  And no, they won't take dado, however many times i try...

Ha! That’s it on fascia!

Doh!

Thanks! Maybe that will make me stop trying. Probably no hope on dado or aroar. 

ETA: Did I mention I got QB today, despite apparently being spelling-challenged? ;-)

a short list off the top of my head of words that are NOT accepted in the Bee:

• viva
  • nonna
  • dada
  • dobro
  • napa

there are others.  We can all add to the list.

So I have to ask why the editors of the Bee believe that a panama is a hat, but don't accept that a napa is a cabbage?

Got the QB again today!

(No hints except total words and total score)

jimmurphy said:

Got the QB again today!

(No hints except total words and total score)

Way to go! Got bogged down. QB is not in the cards today.

Struggling today to get Genius.  It's interesting how some letter combinations are just easier than others.

yahooyahoo said:

Struggling today to get Genius.  It's interesting how some letter combinations are just easier than others.

Agreed. I and O without A or E are always difficult for me. 

yahooyahoo said:

I was stuck one point from Genius and had struggled to get to that point. Then got a flurry of long words. Had been picking off the less common ones.

A couple of the final words were ones that popped into my head when I wasn’t consciously thinking about it.  Love when that happens!

Yesterday, "unilingual" was a word (I missed it), but "lingual" was not. Makes no sense.

KarenMarlowe said:

Yesterday, "unilingual" was a word (I missed it), but "lingual" was not. Makes no sense.

I def tried lingual but not uni-.

jimmurphy said:

Got the QB today!

Wow! I am not even at genius. Congrats! 

jimmurphy said:

Got the QB today!

I'm one short right now 

Just got the QB a minute after my last post grin

Croft IS a word. Seems as if the editors of this game allow lots of slang/on-line usage, but don't allow words that anyone who is a gardener or who has ever done crossword puzzles would know in a heartbeat. I love the game, but...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!