The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

alha said:

I missed it by three yesterday...two which I thought I had in my list and one which I never would have gotten anyway  (amyl)

if you had had one point left like I did, you’d have worked it till you got amyl. And maybe would have hated yourself for the time spent. 

zucca said:

if you had had one point left like I did, you’d have worked it till you got amyl. And maybe would have hated yourself for the time spent. 

well, probably not since I've never heard of "amyl" but thanks for the encouragement anyway

Loblolly.

That's a new one for me.

yahooyahoo said:

Loblolly.

That's a new one for me.

I grew up in east Texas and we had a lot of Loblolly pine trees there.

yahooyahoo said:

Loblolly.

That's a new one for me.

The inconsistency is somewhat annoying. 

Panama, a type of hat, is accepted, as is loblolly here, a type of pine; but today anjou, a type of pear, is not.

jimmurphy said:

The inconsistency is somewhat annoying. 

Panama, a type of hat, is accepted, as is loblolly here, a type of pine; but today anjou, a type of pear, is not.

So, I believe that in the Merriam-Webster dictionary that is generally accepted as a source for many publications, panama and loblolly are listed as lowercase nouns, while Anjou is not. I will not say that there is always a method to this kind of madness, but at least there is a chance that such a source is being consulted.

Did anyone else notice that attaint did not count as a word the other day? I feel that it used to be an accepted Spelling Bee word.

I got to Queen Bee yesterday without hints; not sure I'll get to my goal of Genius today!

zucca said:

So, I believe that in the Merriam-Webster dictionary that is generally accepted as a source for many publications, panama and loblolly are listed as lowercase nouns, while Anjou is not. I will not say that there is always a method to this kind of madness, but at least there is a chance that such a source is being consulted.

Did anyone else notice that attaint did not count as a word the other day? I feel that it used to be an accepted Spelling Bee word.

I got to Queen Bee yesterday without hints; not sure I'll get to my goal of Genius today!

Thanks for that. But what is the difference? Is it that nobody would refer to it as an Anjou rather than an Anjou pear?

Well done yesterday!

jimmurphy said:

Thanks for that. But what is the difference? Is it that nobody would refer to it as an Anjou rather than an Anjou pear?

I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit. One response, from the Chicago Manual of Style (not sure if this is current or not, because I found it on the Googles), which may or may not pertain, is this: “personal, national, or geographical names, and words derived from such names, are often lowercased when used with a nonliteral meaning. For example, ‘an excellent Swiss gruyère’ refers to a cheese made in Switzerland, whereas ‘swiss cheese’ is an American cheese with holes in it.”

zucca said:

nicely done yesterday  question were it not for "eyecup" I would have been there with you. Today it was a struggle to get to Genius but somehow managed to get there and am now eight short of QB. which is more likely than not where I'll end up.

alha said:

Today it was a struggle to get to Genius but somehow managed to get there and am now eight short of QB. which is more likely than not where I'll end up.

Nice! I made it to Genius but not far beyond.

zucca said:

Five shy here but I’ve hit a a wall.

zucca said:

alha said:

Today it was a struggle to get to Genius but somehow managed to get there and am now eight short of QB. which is more likely than not where I'll end up.

Struggling still for genius. It's almost as if I can see the words, but they are eluding me.

glad I didn't waste my time going for QB yesterday. At least 4-5 words I was completely unfamiliar with. Made it to Genius today, but not sure I have the patience to go all the way to QB. A lot of words still left to go.

Today seems especially difficult for me, even with my beloved I and N and G. 

Heynj said:

Today seems especially difficult for me, even with my beloved I and N and G. 

Made genius but QB is definitely not happening for me.

QB today! First time in quite a while! Won't post a screenshot since it might give too much away (words, points).

KarenMarlowe said:

QB today! First time in quite a while! Won't post a screenshot since it might give too much away (words, points).

Great work! 

I've bogged down at QB minus 3.

jimmurphy said:

Great work! 

I've bogged down at QB minus 3.

and I'm bogged down at QB minus 4

KarenMarlowe said:

very nicely done  question no way I'm joining you today though

I have 5 words to go.  Need to get back to it after work.

Honestly, my last word was one I don't think I have ever heard. I just kept trying combinations until it worked, crazily enough.

KarenMarlowe said:

Nice! And thank you for not posting the screenshot. I am 12 points away but kind of stymied. And I already have a word that I didn't realize was a word, so hmmmm. 

My last word was “chitin.” AFAIK, I’ve never seen it in writing. 

KarenMarlowe said:

When I saw the list this morning, I figured that was it. Never heard of it.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

When I saw the list this morning, I figured that was it. Never heard of it.

This is what makes me crazy about the Bee. They say they don't use words that are too technical or require a special knowledge, and then they throw in "chitin." 

and they are pretty arbitrary for what words with foreign origins they include and exclude.  They don't accept "viva" or "nonna" but there's one in today's puzzle that I guessed and figured it wouldn't be accepted because it's really a word from another language. But of course it was accepted. Go figure.

Only 2 away, and it seems like a day where there won't be any strange words. So it's a day to give it some more effort for me.

My yesterday misses were "ninth" and "within." Definitely gettable. 

Today's has one of those words that I'm baffled don't count.

zucca said:

Today's has one of those words that I'm baffled don't count.

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. Got to genius today, but no way I am getting to QB again. Many points short. We can't all be queen everyday. grin

KarenMarlowe said:

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. Got to genius today, but no way I am getting to QB again. Many points short. We can't all be queen everyday.
grin

Long may you reign. ;-)

QB minus 3, yet again.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.