The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

PVW said:

My parents came with papers. But that doesn't stop people from assuming my mom didn't.

Middle class, professional people, and still they get that sh*, because at the end of the day racism and prejudice doesn't care.

People like mtierney claim they're worried about illegal immigration. Bull. It's all just hatred and fear.

It would be a cold day in hell for you to try to claim to know what I believe, feel, or think. You make up assumptions and expect applause? Neat how you made sure to note your ancestors were middle class and professional, not “immigrants”. 

mtierney said:

PVW said:

My parents came with papers. But that doesn't stop people from assuming my mom didn't.

Middle class, professional people, and still they get that sh*, because at the end of the day racism and prejudice doesn't care.

People like mtierney claim they're worried about illegal immigration. Bull. It's all just hatred and fear.

It would be a cold day in hell for you to try to claim to know what I believe, feel, or think. You make up assumptions and expect applause? Neat how you made sure to note your ancestors were middle class and professional, not “immigrants”. 

Quite right.  On MOL, people are judged by what they post and write.  Your posts reek of ignorance and fear.  Maybe that is not a fair representation of who you are, but it's all we have to go on.

mtierney said:

Neat how you made sure to note your ancestors were middle class and professional, not “immigrants”. 

Yup. The point being that at the end of the day nativists don't care about legal status or the supposed burdens on our social services. You can be a model immigrant, but it doesn't matter because they nativists will hate and fear you all the same. The fact that some of these nativists are themselves descended from immigrants and ought to know better just makes it worse.

Somebody said: "The 19th century meaning for a gay person being completely different by the latter 20th Century."

Well into the 20th century for sure.  Sometimes, i'm still at a loss for a substitute word for a particular kind of good cheer or bright, exuberant (thanks, google) appearance.

mjc said:

Somebody said: "The 19th century meaning for a gay person being completely different by the latter 20th Century."

Well into the 20th century for sure.  Sometimes, i'm still at a loss for a substitute word for a particular kind of good cheer or bright, exuberant (thanks, google) appearance.

If countries with English as their primary language hadn't outlawed homosexuality, there would have been no need to adopt other words as euphemisms.

ridski said:

If countries with English as their primary language hadn't outlawed homosexuality, there would have been no need to adopt other words as euphemisms.

Using that thought, why did you suppose heterosexual unions were given euphemisms as alternative references? Seems there are, quite a few. I don’t think the law had much to do about the flexibility of English to embrace diversity.

There are quite a few substitute names for stuff in English — that is why English is the dominant language in so many parts of the world in business, science, etc. 

What I might object to is the exclusivity demanded for the new definition. 

Mtierney, your theory for why English is so widely spoken doesn’t hold up. 
Here’s the list of top 10 languages:

https://www.berlitz.com/blog/most-spoken-languages-world  Note that English is first, Mandarin is second,  Hindi is third. 
English is so widely spoken due to legacy of imperialism and subsequent classist education & politics.   That’s all. 

In terms of ‘who’ owns the adjective gay  it’s true that heterosexual s*x first claimed it from its blander use for ‘joyful’ centuries ago - prostitutes were labelled gay, meaning immoral, loose and abandoned. 
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/how-gay-came-to-mean-homosexual/    The article fails to mention Nöel Coward’s  and Cole Porter’s pointed use of  ‘gay’ in various popular songs, which could change the meaning of the songs and plays completely. 

mtierney said:

It would be a cold day in hell for you to try to claim to know what I believe, feel, or think. You make up assumptions and expect applause?. 

I mean, this is what I have been saying all along, that you are a troll, that your posts are solely designed to stir the #### and in no way reflective of your beliefs, feeling or thoughts. 

Frankly, I have always hoped this was the case as the alternative, that you actually believe the horrible things you post here, is ever so depressing.

In any case, I find your new honesty refreshing if somewhat surprising. 

PVW said:

snake snakesnake snakesnake snakesnake snake

cheese

Here's basically everything mtierney has been saying since Biden took office.

ridski said:

Here's basically everything mtierney has been saying since Biden took office.

Also, this is the Oval Office today -

nohero said:

I would like to see the OO  today, when the President’s son gets indicted on charges long held back to protect political backlash for the Big Guy. Of course all that smoke might obscure things.

joanne said:

Mtierney, your theory for why English is so widely spoken doesn’t hold up. 
Here’s the list of top 10 languages:

https://www.berlitz.com/blog/most-spoken-languages-world  Note that English is first, Mandarin is second,  Hindi is third. 
English is so widely spoken due to legacy of imperialism and subsequent classist education & politics.   That’s all. 

So we are in agreement, English is first among your list! 

Your adding imperialism, classist education, and politics as root causes just doesn’t change the reality. 

mtierney said:

So we are in agreement, English is first among your list! 

Your adding imperialism, classist education, and politics as root causes just doesn’t change the reality. 

Your contention was that English is dominant because it has lots of synonyms. It’s not. It’s dominant because English people invaded places, took them over and forced everyone there to speak English. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

I would like to see the OO  today, when the President’s son gets indicted on charges long held back to protect political backlash for the Big Guy. Of course all that smoke might obscure things.

Lack of self-awareness on the part of the MAGAs never disappoints.

mtierney said:

Well, it's the day after and no indictment. And let's say he is indicted today? He goes to trial and if found guilty he serves out his sentence, which is how it's supposed to work.

ridski said:

mtierney said:

Well, it's the day after and no indictment. And let's say he is indicted today? He goes to trial and if found guilty he serves out his sentence, which is how it's supposed to work.

The possible charges are pretty lacking in political content - false statement on gun application and tax evasion.  I don't see the backlash.  Biden is hardly the first president to have clowns in his family.

In this WAPO  article, it says the investigation started in 2018, which was well before the whole laptop hysteria started. Didn't know that.

Also, this leak is another example of the strong pro-Trump faction in the FBI. This is clearly an October Surprise attempt. Interesting how FBI leaks in October always seems to hurt the Dems.

mtierney said:

Using that thought, why did you suppose heterosexual unions were given euphemisms as alternative references? Seems there are, quite a few. I don’t think the law had much to do about the flexibility of English to embrace diversity.

There are quite a few substitute names for stuff in English — that is why English is the dominant language in so many parts of the world in business, science, etc. 

What I might object to is the exclusivity demanded for the new definition. 

I object to the fact that the word "literally" now means "figuratively", but there's not much I can do about it.

And sheesh, I'd think you might have understood that the Irish language didn't nearly become extinct because the natives of the island thought English was a so much cooler language.

nohero said:

Lack of self-awareness on the part of the MAGAs never disappoints.

I think it’s Dems who lack “self-awareness”, but I wouldn’t say it “disappoints.”

Affirmation comes to mind, however!  

mtierney said:

I think it’s Dems who lack “self-awareness”, but I wouldn’t say it “disappoints.”

the old "I know you are..." defense 

mtierney said:

Of course you think that, because you have no self-awareness.

Hold the phone, Ridski. I should never be still up at this hour, or posting, but I had a dream in which I solved a big immigration issue!

Let’s pull a Putin — but legally — and annex Mexican territories at our southern border! It would require a referendum by voters and would make English a prerequisite before allowing a free flow of traffic across our new border territories. The United States immigration service would provide services to those wishing to continue their journeys north. There would be incentives to encourage people to settle in the new state.

I have no idea what Mexico would think about the acquisition, however.

We eliminate illegal immigration, provide new territory for business ventures, encourage assimilation and diminish discrimination. The reuniting families would be the ultimate goal.

What say you? (Mt haters need not reply, readers here already  know the  knee-jerk responses by heart.)

Why would you make English a prerequisite for immigration? The US doesn’t have an official language. 

Also, the US already annexed 55% of Mexico in the Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo. You want more of it?

mtierney said:

I have no idea what Mexico would think about the acquisition, however.

I'll bet you do. 

And, yet, they still come…

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/07/world/americas/venezuelan-migrants-us-border.html

We have been told immigration is under control by our president, our immigration czar, CNN,  etc etc. Do these photos lie? What other SA country might join the exodus north? 

Meanwhile, Russia’s despot is threatening to use nuclear weapons to destroy Europe. Should Americans be worried? How could we not?

mtierney said:

And, yet, they still come…

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/07/world/americas/venezuelan-migrants-us-border.html

We have been told immigration is under control by our president, our immigration czar, CNN,  etc etc. Do these photos lie? What other SA country might join the exodus north? 

Meanwhile, Russia’s despot is threatening to use nuclear weapons to destroy Europe. Should Americans be worried? How could we not?

hard to believe anyone with any bit of humanity would read that article and come to that conclusion.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.