Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

RFA, over here in federal elections, we have a multiplicity of parties and Independents are also allowed to stand for election to Parliament (Upper and Lower Houses, but it would be difficult to become Prime Minister as an Independent). 
We tally by whittling the ballots down to electorate preferences between most popular candidates, usually top two to three. Considering the thousands of ballots per polling place we handle it really doesn’t take long for front runners to emerge, we’ll know within a half-hour to 45 mins which candidates we’re sorting for within each electorate. (Yes, tallying is done by hand, scrutineered at each polling place by candidates’ representatives; checked & double-checked then sealed and transported to the Electoral Commission’s Office where everything is rechecked again. ) (Ive worked in this tallying role for several elections over 20 yrs)

My point is there’s no need for a system of only two parties, neither is ‘ranked’/proportional voting difficult or awkward or unfair. In practice, with sufficient voters in your electorates you finish up with the effect of ‘two-party preferred’ style voting, minimal confusion & maximised voter choice.
The USA’s major election day difficulty is voter apathy (partly because it’s mid-week); we overcome that with weekend voting, and compulsory adult appearance at a polling place (via mail, early voting etc). (Remember, all we have to do is have our names crossed off the voting roll)

Something new has to be tried after the 2020 debacle — perhaps there is a better way to go, we won’t know unless we work together.

mtierney said:

Something new has to be tried after the 2020 debacle

I am curious.  When you say "debacle" what do you mean?  From where I am sitting, the 2020 election went about the way elections are supposed to go.  The only problem came when the candidate who clearly lost tried to create an insurrection.

If there is a different point of view to be appreciated here (yours) I would love to appreciate it.  I only ask that you leave out any unproductive links to the National Review.

mtierney said:

Something new has to be tried after the 2020 debacle — perhaps there is a better way to go, we won’t know unless we work together.

the only "debacle" was created by Trump and the MAGAs to sow chaos and confusion over a very well-run and fair election.

that is the debacle you're referring to correct? I'd hate to think you're one of those brainwashed right wingers who thinks the election was not fair and honest.

mtierney said:

There was no “2020 debacle”. You shouldn’t spread MAGA lies on the Pope Francis thread. 

nohero said:

There was no “2020 debacle”. You shouldn’t spread MAGA lies on the Pope Francis thread. 

it’s not a very good Christian thing to do….

nohero said:

I don't know. Has anyone ever looked into the details of the Pope's election? I mean, where there's smoke there's fire, right?

ridski said:

RealityForAll said:

PS John McCain was captured by the North Vietnamese after being shot down near Hanoi.

Yes, we know. I don’t think Dave meant it as a 100% analogy.

Yes, I was off by a war. This is how we all know I'm not a ChatGPT account. Thanks to RFA for the correction and ridski for the perspective.

mtierney said:

A step in the right direction?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/05/us/oklahoma-first-religious-charter-school-in-the-us.html

Give to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and give to God the things that are God's” is Jesus saying no to your question.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Any Make America Great Again slogan references of yours belong here since it was decreed that Politics and Religion belonged in the All Politics Category by TPTB, not me

mtierney said:

Good news…

I thought this was going to be about Pat Robertson.

That is good news about the Pope.  My thoughts have been with him over the past few days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/10/pope-advised-not-to-give-sunday-blessing-from-hospital-balcony
who would expect anyone, let alone someone in their mid-80s, who’s recovering from major surgery just a few days ago to stand at a window and visibly, ceremoniously bless the world???  
Goodness!  we all should return his previous graciousness, and thank Gd (if you believe) and the surgeons/medical staff for his return to health. 

They could Zoom his brief blessing from bed if he’s up to it; doesn’t need more. What would they have done 100 years ago??

I don't believe in Hell but, surely, this crime deserves more than a single year in prison. The 5 year old was just one of many children this priest assaulted over a long career.

Priest Sentenced to One Year in Prison for Raping 5 Year Old at Funeral

Shuddering too much to open link. At a funeral?.  gulp shock question

Inmates don't take to child rapists, so I think this is a life sentence. 

I can post up daily news reports of pastors who have been convicted of child sexual abuse. It’s not just catholic priests. They should all be put away from society. 

mtierney said:

Wow!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254627/400-year-old-church-emerges-from-the-waters-in-mexico

Wow is pretty weak here, considering Texas' water infrastructure is aging and people are losing drinking water through burst pipes and lack of power to pump it. Maybe a "yikes!" a "garshk!" or a "holy ****!" should be good. 

https://www.kens5.com/video/news/local/heat-dome-continues-over-texas-through-next-week/273-3f08f5ca-5221-43e6-bae8-62e4a8dc89d8

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/08/texas-odessa-aging-water-infrastructure/

Fascinating glimpse into history, although if the upper portions of the building have been visible for years the town is hardly ‘disappeared’.  cheese

(We have a famous similar town in Victoria, that was moved before the former & historic buildings were flooded in the creation of Hume Weir)

I wonder if Mexico will allow archaeologists to work in these ruins while they’re above water?

Maybe it is a miracle! Maybe God caused the drought so the Church would reappear.

joanne said:

(We have a famous similar town in Victoria, that was moved before the former & historic buildings were flooded in the creation of Hume Weir)

We have an Egyptian temple to the goddess Iisis in NYC that was moved under similar circumstances.

ridski said:

Wow is pretty weak here, considering Texas' water infrastructure is aging and people are losing drinking water through burst pipes and lack of power to pump it. 

A bit of a hike from Texas to Chiapas.

Which reminds me - are you guys still smothered in smoke haze?

joanne said:

Which reminds me - are you guys still smothered in smoke haze?

No, it’s been much better since last week.

GoSlugs said:

joanne said:

We have an Egyptian temple to the goddess Iisis in NYC that was moved under similar circumstances.

The only time a docent chastised me was in this hall. "Please do not touch Thutmose III."  Too late, I had already touched the guy who brought the Egyptian empire to the zenith of its power. Indiana Jones had nothing on me.

GoSlugs said:

ridski said:

Wow is pretty weak here, considering Texas' water infrastructure is aging and people are losing drinking water through burst pipes and lack of power to pump it. 

A bit of a hike from Texas to Chiapas.

Same heat dome.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.