Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

GoSlugs said:

"So Thomas, called Didymus"

T-Diddy to his friends.

I doubt that.

That’s an interesting passage, Mtierney. In Tahara (the rites to prepare a body for burial), we don’t tie or bind hands or feet. There may be a small cloth placed over the face, the size of a lady’ handkerchief, but it would fall off if the person moved at all. 
Tahara hasn’t really changed since at least the early Middle Ages, when the man who wrote the current manual had it printed for the first time. (Before then it was carefully handwritten, and passed on orally)

How interesting that this archaeological discovery is being reported just before Passover, and Easter. 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-27/ancient-egypt-excavation-uncovers-2-000-mummified-ram-heads/102150534

Given the team are from New York, I’m fairly sure it’s being covered in your media too. (Is the plural of mongoose ‘mongooses’?) The emphasis on rams’ heads leaps out to the reader, among all the other exotic fauna, all aligned in such stately ceremonial precision… a bit like the Chinese statue army.

One of my favorite photos!

nohero said:

GoSlugs said:

"So Thomas, called Didymus"

T-Diddy to his friends.

I doubt that.

Well played.

oh oh

mtierney said:

"Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her."

Mary has entered the chat.

mtierney said:

the Catholic Church is the only Church existing today which goes back to the time of Christ.

All respect to Mr Sheen but the Eastern Orthodox  and Coptic communities beg to differ.

Putting man and nature in perspective…Lawrence of Arabia, Wadi Rum, Valley of the Moon

Oops! Almost forgot this …

Mtierney, it’s not trolling. Catholic Church comes from Paul. Greek Orthodox Church comes from James, Jesus’ brother. Same age, same instruction from Jesus, different history. 
Would help if modern monastic study remembered what their forebears wrote just a couple of hundred years ago. 

joanne said:

Mtierney, it’s not trolling. Catholic Church comes from Paul. Greek Orthodox Church comes from James, Jesus’ brother. Same age, same instruction from Jesus, different history. 
Would help if modern monastic study remembered what their forebears wrote just a couple of hundred years ago. 

when a comment comes from our resident troll, it is trolling!

Isn’t this the season for forgiveness? I thought that was the central message in most of the gospel readings leading the Easter? 
Not every post from any usually difficult quarter needs to be perceived as ‘yet more poking & stirring’. Mum and Dad taught me to see history from many angles, and to appreciate different views. They said it’s most important ‘when you’re feeling irritated or misunderstood. You’ll see’.  cheese wink

Oh, Mtierney - I thought of you today when having coffee with my friend H, at our local mall. It’s next to a river, and we were on the deck. All of a sudden, a graceful black swan sailed elegantly past and nodded to us!  H is 95years, and this made her day! Swan continued upstream a bit then stepped onto a bit of beach to groom her feathers, walked a bit then swam away.  blank stare

joanne said:

Isn’t this the season for forgiveness? I thought that was the central message in most of the gospel readings leading the Easter? 
Not every post from any usually difficult quarter needs to be perceived as ‘yet more poking & stirring’. Mum and Dad taught me to see history from many angles, and to appreciate different views. They said it’s most important ‘when you’re feeling irritated or misunderstood. You’ll see’. 

I think these posts are more of a warning about the trolling mtierney is about to engage in than anything anyone else may have posted.

mtierney said:

when a comment comes from our resident troll, it is trolling!

A convenient way to avoid inconvenient facts.

Again, the Catholic Church is simply not the only Church that goes back to the time of Christ.  To say so is to engage in falsehood, perhaps unknowingly on your part but certainly purposefully in the case of Mr. Sheen. cheese

GoSlugs said:

A convenient way to avoid inconvenient facts.

Again, the Catholic Church is simply not the only Church that goes back to the time of Christ.  To say so is to engage in falsehood, perhaps unknowingly on your part but certainly purposefully in the case of Mr. Sheen.
cheese

You’re making a funny with the picture of Charlie Sheen, but as it happens his father, Martin Sheen, was born Ramón Estevez and to come up with his stage name used (no kidding) the last name of the TV bishop.

nohero said:

You’re making a funny with the picture of Charlie Sheen, but as it happens his father, Martin Sheen, was born Ramón Estevez and to come up with his stage name used (no kidding) the last name of the TV bishop.

Indeed, I was aware of that.  It's a sad story,  Ramon Estevez, like many Americans with Hispanic surnames,  was forced to take a "white" name to get ahead in an intolerant US.  Ironically, though, that makes Charlie something like Fulton's spiritual wayward grandson.  I am sure Fulton would be thrilled.

From a cinematic point of view, I have always preferred Emilio Estevez.

The whole thing is strange.  Martin Sheen, who's father was born in Spain, was starting out at the same time that other guys with southern European surnames like Pacino and DeNiro were taking opportunities under their own names.  I suspect that a Spanish last name still carried the taint of association with Mexico, while Italian names were emerging from he shadow of oppression.

Now days, we have almost the opposite phenomenon with white anglo saxons like Alec Baldwin's wife falsely claiming Spanish heritage.

How do you say in English---- the cucumber?

GoSlugs said:

How do you say in English---- the cucumber?

In Jersey, cucumber is frequently known as CHA-DROOL [phonetic].  Apparently, derived from the Italian word centriolo.

edited to avoid confusions of 

You obviously aren't using the KJV of the Bible.  What version are you taking these excerpts taken from?

GoSlugs said:

You obviously aren't using the KJV of the Bible.  What version are you taking these excerpts taken from?

Whichever version she's using, it gave her the same gospel to post today as it did yesterday.

ridski said:

Whichever version she's using, it gave her the same gospel to post today as it did yesterday.

Glad someone is actually reading this post. I had a feeling I might trip up — none of us is perfect!

Right, but my point was that other Churches make exactly the same claim with equal credibility.

The Eastern Orthodox Church has always viewed the Bishop of Rome as a schismatic.

mtierney said:

Wikipedia says it, so it's gospel.

GoSlugs said:

Right, but my point was that other Churches make exactly the same claim with equal credibility.

The Eastern Orthodox Church has always viewed the Bishop of Rome as a schismatic.

Conclusion of the II Vatican Council: Joint Catholic-Orthodox declaration, approved by Pope Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople (7 December 1965) | Paul VI

"Following is the text of the joint Catholic-Orthodox declaration, approved by Pope Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople, read simultaneously (Dec. 7) at a public meeting of the ecumenical council in Rome and at a special ceremony in Istanbul. The declaration concerns the Catholic-Orthodox exchange of excommunications in 1054."

"Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I with his synod, in common agreement, declare that:

"A. They regret the offensive words, the reproaches without foundation, and the reprehensible gestures which, on both sides, have marked or accompanied the sad events of this period.

"B. They likewise regret and remove both from memory and from the midst of the Church the sentences of excommunication which followed these events, the memory of which has influenced actions up to our day and has hindered closer relations in charity; and they commit these excommunications to oblivion."

nohero said:

Wikipedia says it, so it's gospel.

Wikipedia says that the Catholic Church "claims" it was founded by Jesus.

It doesn't weigh in on whether this is a valid or invalid claim. 

The following grab is also from Wikipedia.

If the Eastern Orthodox Church is, as it claims, "the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church established by Jesus Christ in his Great Commission, and that its bishops are the successors of Christ's apostles" then where does that leave the Catholic Church?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.