Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

tjohn said:

You, Mtierney, are a monster hiding behind your righteousness.  Shame on you.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/ohio-10-year-old-girl-columbus-man-charged-indiana-abortion/index.html

Time for you to put your self-righteousness on hold…knee-jerk reactions usually prove incorrect.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/ohio-10-year-old-girl-columbus-man-charged-indiana-abortion/index.html

Time for you to put your self-righteousness on hold…knee-jerk reactions usually prove incorrect.

Explain the knee jerk reaction and how it is incorrect.  Is it or is it not the case that Ohio abortion restrictions allow exceptions for rape and incest?

Do you support exceptions for rape, incest and severe medical danger to the mother?

And I'll make it easy.  If you don't you are a monster hiding behind some veil of unexamined beliefs.

Catch up with the rest of the story and get back to me.

mtierney said:

Catch up with the rest of the story and get back to me.

I have.  Can you explain to me what I missed.  A 10 year-old girl was raped.  She became pregnant.  She was unable to get an abortion under Ohio laws.  She had to travel out of state to get an abortion.

Am I missing something?

And if I am correct and you think abortion laws with no exceptions for rape, incest or medical danger to the pregnant woman, then you are truly cold-hearted.

tjohn said:

I have.  Can you explain to me what I missed.  A 10 year-old girl was raped.  She became pregnant.  She was unable to get an abortion under Ohio laws.  She had to travel out of state to get an abortion.

Am I missing something?

And if I am correct and you think abortion laws with no exceptions for rape, incest or medical danger to the pregnant woman, then you are truly cold-hearted.

yes you have — believing only what you wanted to….

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/illegal-immigrant-arrested-for-allegedly-raping-ten-year-old-ohio-girl-at-center-of-viral-abortion-story/

From the link….

“Ohio attorney general Dave Yost said Ohio’s abortion law, which bans the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy, has a “medical-emergency exception broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl, if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her . . . she did not have to leave Ohio” to receive an abortion.”

This story is tragic for a little girl — investigators say she was raped twice by the same man — first time she was nine years old; second time was after she turned ten.

How did he have access to this child twice? There is much yet to be learned.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Am I missing something?

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/illegal-immigrant-arrested-for-allegedly-raping-ten-year-old-ohio-girl-at-center-of-viral-abortion-story/

what did he miss? that the alleged assailant was undocumented?

so what? who cares about that? it's the least significant thing about this horrible situation.

mtierney said:

From the link….

“Ohio attorney general Dave Yost said Ohio’s abortion law, which bans the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy, has a “medical-emergency exception broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl, if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her . . . she did not have to leave Ohio” to receive an abortion.”

This story is tragic for a little girl — investigators say she was raped twice by the same man — first time she was nine years old; second time was after she turned ten.

Conservatives will focus on irrelevant details in order to derail discussion of what the law on abortion is in Ohio.

Ohio AG - "If she exists". There are probably still people who believe the "It was a fake story" lie.

How it happened is also irrelevant.

mtierney said:

From the link….

How he was able to rape the child once or twice or any numbers of times is irrelevant as is his immigration status.  A young girl was raped and found herself pregnant.

According to:   https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/state-facts-about-abortion-ohio# she would not be allowed to have an abortion after 6 weeks unless her life was in danger.  Seems like a foregone conclusion that it would be, but I can't speak to the mindset of people who feel good about themselves after forcing desperate women to resort to desperate measures to end unwanted pregnancies.

• Abortion is banned at six weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of life endangerment or severely compromised physical health.

And @mtierney, you didn't answer a simple question which will help us understand just how cruel you are.

Do you believe abortion should be permitted in cases of rape, incest, medical emergency or birth defects?

tjohn said:

And @mtierney, you didn't answer a simple question which will help us understand just how cruel you are.

Do you believe abortion should be permitted in cases of rape, incest, medical emergency or birth defects?

Next she’s gonna start accusing you of gaslighting…. Or …. Sealioning 

The rapist obviously had easy access to the child’s home. Maybe he’s a family friend, it happens quite often. He’s in jail. So for some idiot to say “if she exists” is just another example of how these people on the extreme right think. Deplorable.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Am I missing something?

what did he miss? that the alleged assailant was undocumented?

so what? who cares about that? it's the least significant thing about this horrible situation.

No, DB, he missed/overlooked the fact that the expectant child could have gotten an abortion in Ohio 

tjohn said:

Reading comprehension issues….(from my link)

Ohio attorney general Dave Yost said Ohio’s abortion law, which bans the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy, has a “medical-emergency exception broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl, if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her . . . she did not have to leave Ohio” to receive an abortion.”

tjohn said:

This. 

Disgusting!

mtierney said:

From the link….

that NR article is pretty awful. In 2022 referring to a doctor as an "abortionist?" Really?

mtierney said:

Ohio attorney general Dave Yost said Ohio’s abortion law, which bans the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy, has a “medical-emergency exception broader than just the life of the mother. This young girl, if she exists and if this horrible thing actually happened to her . . . she did not have to leave Ohio” to receive an abortion.”

While that may technically be the case, did this girl's family really need or want to stay in Ohio and work to make the case that her life was endangered? Their law is draconian. 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

While that may technically be the case, did this girl's family really need or want to stay in Ohio and work to make the case that her life was endangered? Their law is draconian. 

Yost, being a Republican is reprehensible and a liar.

Someone explain this to me:

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/ohio/yost-releases-further-guidance-exemptions-ohios-heartbeat-law/530-af2a79da-228b-40fe-8983-85f5e5fdb39e

The first two have been reported before: If a physician determines there is no fetal heartbeat or if a physician determines the pregnant woman faces "serious risk of the substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function."

The third exception is an ectopic pregnancy. Yost said in the guidance that these exceptions are not labeled as such in the law. You can read more about the guidelines here.

Hmm, they're not actually labeled in the law? How does one determine whether they exist or not? Did they actually exist in Ohio law before Yost issued his "guidance".

drummerboy said:

Hmm, they're not actually labeled in the law? How does one determine whether they exist or not? Did they actually exist in Ohio law before Yost issued his "guidance".

Yost couldn’t even tell us if the girl exists.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Yost couldn’t even tell us if the girl exists.

he was arguing she didn't. what a slime.

mtierney said:

Interesting look at what’s happening in our American pulpits….

https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/the-most-important-religious-divide?utm_medium=email

Could you summarize "what's happening in our American pulpits" that's discussed in that article?

The Pope's message to the upcoming conference of the World Catholic Association for Communication (called "SIGNIS"). It includes 

"At the same time, the use of digital media, especially social media, has raised a number of serious ethical issues that call for wise and discerning judgment on the part of communicators and all those concerned with the authenticity and quality of human relationships. Sometimes and in some places, media sites have become places of toxicity, hate speech and fake news. In meeting this challenge, SIGNIS can play an important role through media education, networking Catholic media and countering lies and misinformation. I encourage you to persevere in these efforts, paying particular attention to the need to assist people, especially young people, to develop a sound critical sense, learning to distinguish truth from falsehood, right from wrong, good from evil, and to appreciate the importance of working for justice, social concord, and respect for our common home."

Message of the Holy Father to the Participants in the SIGNIS World Congress [Seoul, 15-18 August 2022] (15 July 2022) | Francis (vatican.va)

People here in Edmonton are gearing up for the Pope's visit.  Very exciting!

GoSlugs said:

People here in Edmonton are gearing up for the Pope's visit.  Very exciting!

Any good souvenirs you can snag for us?

nohero said:

Any good souvenirs you can snag for us?

Its kind of a somber visit focussing on the abuses in the residential schools but I will keep an eye out.

@mtierney, you didn't answer a simple question which will help us understand just how cruel you are.

And, for what it is worth, I suspect that if it involved somebody you cared about, you would be all about choice.

tjohn said:

@mtierney, you didn't answer a simple question which will help us understand just how cruel you are.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2022/06/in-vitro-fertilization-after-roe-v-wade-dismantling/

“IVF is a critical tool to preserve fertility and importantly to treat infertility, a disease that affects at least one in eight couples,” said Dr. Kara Goldman, associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology in reproductive endocrinology and fertility at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and medical director of Fertility Preservation at Northwestern Medicine.

“IVF did not exist before Roe v. Wade, so we are entering uncharted waters. The impact of overturning Roe v. Wade may have implications and unintended consequences far beyond the reach of abortion. In states where bills are being introduced defining a fetus as a person, or defining life as beginning at fertilization, this could dramatically change the way in vitro fertilization is practiced.

“Physicians like myself who practice reproductive medicine are afraid for our patients.

“What does this mean for a patient's frozen embryos? When a patient has completed their family, embryos are either donated to research or destroyed. If embryo destruction is outlawed, this will have tremendous ramifications for not only the tens of thousands of embryos — and the families who have created those embryos through careful decision-making between the physician and patient — but importantly will have ramifications for the future practice of IVF and the hundreds of thousands of Americans who rely on this technology to build their families.”

So, Mtierney, may we conclude that you don't mind that a lot of women are going to suffer under these new laws?

tjohn said:

So, Mtierney, may we conclude that you don't mind that a lot of women are going to suffer under these new laws?

Don't worry, if there's some way she can blame it on Democrats then she'll care. Until then, no, why would she?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!