Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news & Bible verses

One irony is that many immigrants are already Christian. I can get how "welcome the stranger" can be a stumbling block, but these are theoretically fellow Christians and not strangers. "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." Guess that answers the question of whether these are Christians or Christianists.

PVW said:

One irony is that many immigrants are already Christian. I can get how "welcome the stranger" can be a stumbling block, but these are theoretically fellow Christians and not strangers. "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." Guess that answers the question of whether these are Christians or Christianists.

Just look at the Catholic Churches in east orange, Jersey city, Newark, in fact all over… mostly Hispanic immigrants keeping those doors open. Yet people like MT don’t want them here legally or illegally. All you hear from these people is , build the wall…open borders…

When this generation of old Catholics die off, I wonder who they think will fill the collection plate…

If I were on a mission to destroy Christianity in America, my vehicle would be Republican politics.

I am getting concerned for you, nohero, everything offends or insults you these days.,

The two links have a common denominator — hate

mtierney said:

I am getting concerned for you, nohero, everything offends or insults you these days.,

A subject you of which have an abundant reservoir. 

mtierney said:

maybe, but don't you see the qualitative difference between the two that makes it offensive to put them together?

One is a massacre. One is short lived, non-violent disruption of a mass.

But in your mind, clearly, protesting at a mass shows hate equivalent to massacring people.

You see, that's kind of a problem.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

maybe, but don't you see the qualitative difference between the two that makes it offensive to put them together?

One is a massacre. One is short lived, non-violent disruption of a mass.

But in your mind, clearly, protesting at a mass shows hate equivalent to massacring people.

You see, that's kind of a problem.

Agree. There is no "common denominator".

One only has to read both articles to realize that.

Especially this excerpt from one of them - "In a July 3 bulletin message, the church’s pastor, Father Lawrence Lisowski, addressed the moment when [it] ended: 'After a few minutes,' he said, 'we were able to regain our composure and continue on with our prayer.' "

I don't have to tell anyone which article that could be from, nobody couldn't guess that.

mtierney said:

Please don't be concerned about me, unless I reach the point where I can't tell the difference between a sectarian massacre and a short political protest.

nohero said:

Please don't be concerned about me, unless I reach the point where I can't tell the difference between a sectarian massacre and a short political protest.

Expressing hate, whether to an extremely devastating degree, or on a smaller scale, is still, undeniably, an expression of hate. 

There is a lot of hate here.

A lot of hate here?

People who protest are usually angry, and there’s a reason for their anger. You think the January 6 protestors were not full of hate? The gallows in front of the capitol and the violence inside were all part of some peaceful “love-in”?

It’s all about what makes someone angry enough to protest. There’s a lot of saints in the Catholic Church….

Jaytee said:

A lot of hate here?

People who protest are usually angry, and there’s a reason for their anger. You think the January 6 protestors were not full of hate? The gallows in front of the capitol and the violence inside were all part of some peaceful “love-in”?

It’s all about what makes someone angry enough to protest. There’s a lot of saints in the Catholic Church….

I think that when she said “here” she meant her house. If so, she would be correct. 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Expressing hate, whether to an extremely devastating degree, or on a smaller scale, is still, undeniably, an expression of hate. 

Protesting isn't "hate." Did you think Rosa Parks or the people sitting in at lunch counters, causing a scene and being arrested were full of hate?

ml1 said:

Protesting isn't "hate." Did you think Rosa Parks or the people sitting in at lunch counters, causing a scene and being arrested were full of hate?

I actually think she does. In fact she sees all black protests as hateful and violent. That’s one thing she’s consistent with. She really can not see these issues through any other lenses. That’s why their idea of making America great again is going back to the times when protests were met with police brutality to quell the “natives” uprisings…they don’t ever see non white peoples as their equal. She’s terrified that Kamala is just a heartbeat away from the presidency. To these hypocrites, all lives matter is just a slogan they use to deflect the fact that they are innately racist. 

The NYT as an article today,  above the fold, questioning the president’s ability to serve out his term, much less speak of running in 2024.

Why I am focused on the veep, a heartbeat away from the Oval Office, should be  obvious, and a concern for Democrats.

How do you explain the former prosecutor and senator’s inability to speak coherently?

I guess you understood trumpenstein when he was speaking…it’s ok… we got ya

If someone says they understood Trump but can’t understand Harris, they are telling us something about themselves, not anything about Harris or Trump. 

@mtierney.

Question for you.

In the years immediately before and after the Roe v. Wade decision, the number of abortions performed in the United States was largely unchanged.  What did change?

GoSlugs said:

If someone says they understood Trump but can’t understand Harris, they are telling us something about themselves, not anything about Harris or Trump. 

And the Deflection Award, yet again, goes to (drum roll) the mollusk amongst us!

mtierney said:

GoSlugs said:

And the Deflection Award, yet again, goes to (drum roll) the mollusk amongst us!

The only attempted deflection here was by you, to unsuccessfully avoid a direct hit.

tjohn said:

@mtierney.

Question for you.

In the years immediately before and after the Roe v. Wade decision, the number of abortions performed in the United States was largely unchanged.  What did change?

@mtierney

Please answer this question.  It will help you understand the consequences of superficial righteousness.

I suppose the "righteous" blaze the trail to Hell.

nohero said:

Equating these two situations is extraordinarily offensive.

mtierney said:

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/251743/pro-abortion-protesters-disrupted-mass-at-catholic-church-in-chicago

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/251726/nigeria-catholic-bishop-genocide-pentecost-church-attack

Religious hatred both here and abroad….

mtierney said:

You read the articles.  Killing people because they're in a place of worship is "an expression of hate".

A political protest in a place of worship is something else.  Personally, I don't think that kind of protest should take place, for a number of reasons.  One big reason is that the protesters are really just picking a random symbol for their protest, not directing the protest at the acual decision-makers or responsible parties. In the article, they were not protesting the actual religious event, they were protesting political positions by a hierarchy for which the church in question was a substitute for them. 

If you wanted to see a protest that was directed specifically at a religious event, and at the people attending that event, you could have come to Maplewood last month. Pictured below are out-of-town protesters who came to the parish I belong to, St. Joseph in Maplewood, to protest a Mass there.

As you can see, they're blocking the way into the church.  Those protesters also stood on the front walkway right up to the doors of the church, until the pastor and a couple of others of us shooed them back to the public sidewalk.  They were disrupting the event, and stayed there through it.

nohero said:

You read the articles.  Killing people because they're in a place of worship is "an expression of hate".

A political protest in a place of worship is something else.  Personally, I don't think that kind of protest should take place, for a number of reasons.  One big reason is that the protesters are really just picking a random symbol for their protest, not directing the protest at the acual decision-makers or responsible parties. In the article, they were not protesting the actual religious event, they were protesting political positions by a hierarchy for which the church in question was a substitute for them. 

If you wanted to see a protest that was directed specifically at a religious event, and at the people attending that event, you could have come to Maplewood last month. Pictured below are out-of-town protesters who came to the parish I belong to, St. Joseph in Maplewood, to protest a Mass there.

As you can see, they're blocking the way into the church.  Those protesters also stood on the front walkway right up to the doors of the church, until the pastor and a couple of others of us shooed them back to the public sidewalk.  They were disrupting the event, and stayed there through it.

just curious, what exactly were they protesting? 

Jaytee said:

just curious, what exactly were they protesting? 

They come to protest anything involving the LGBTQ community.  They came in 2020 to protest a talk by Fr. Jim Martin on his book, "Building a Bridge:".  They came this year to protest a "Pride and Joy" jazz Mass (and later in the month a vespers service).

[Edited to add] I provided this example because, while they annoyed me at the time (and still do), I'm not crass enough to claim that our gathering was treated the same as the people massacred in church in Nigeria.

tjohn said:

@mtierney.

Question for you.

@mtierney,

Do you care to answer this question?

mtierney said:

You got me stumped!

Women stopped dying from back-alley abortions.

Here's a good example of @mtierney's "Christian" compassion.  A 10 year girl is raped and Mtierney would apparently be fine with forcing her to carry the child to the end knowing full well that 10 year-olds having babies never ends well. Fortunately, she was able to obtain an abortion out of state.

You, Mtierney, are a monster hiding behind your righteousness.  Shame on you.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/us/ohio-10-year-old-girl-columbus-man-charged-indiana-abortion/index.html

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.