Ohio is scaring me. Who scares you? NJ edition.

jfinnegan said:

Good luck in Ohil! My nephew is pitching at Kenyon so I figure I'll be taking a road trip out there at some point.

thanks!

to offset the weird pizza, they do have fry pies out here. As artery clogging as they may be.

db, I am curious, how did you resolve the shipping of your vinyl record collection?

mtierney said:

db, I am curious, how did you resolve the shipping of your vinyl record collection?

I sold them to Scotti's record store in Summit.

drummerboy said:

I sold them to Scotti's record store in Summit.

Thanks.

I saw gas for under $3 today.

I have reached the promised land.

In order to reach the promised land, one must overcome his fears of guns and cold pizza…

drummerboy said:

oh. I'm not so sure about this.

https://pizzaneed.com/ohio-valley-style-pizza/

WHAT IS OHIO VALLEY-STYLE PIZZA?

Ohio Valley-style pizza is a rarity in the culinary world. It is a dish that gets served partially cold.

You’ll find this unique approach to making pizza in a string of towns along the Ohio River Valley. Steubenville is the center of this exciting take on a classic dish, but several small towns have at least one restaurant or pizzeria that serves it.

An authentic Ohio Valley-style pizza comes out of the often with a baked crust, tomato sauce, and a thin layer of melted cheese. Then a thicker mound of mozzarella gets piled on top of it so that you experience a hot and cold bite simultaneously.

You must devour this style of pizza to maximize the flavor profile. The cold cheese begins to melt almost immediately as the dish gets served, so it can turn into a congealed mess when it sits for a while. That’s why you’ll see most orders are for individual servings for this regional offering.

Delivery options are also available, with fresh slices experiencing a bit more melting than a pizza served fresh in the pizzeria

Steubenville was a depressing place. I hope it has improved since I traveled there for work in the early 2000s.

yahooyahoo said:

Steubenville was a depressing place. I hope it has improved since I traveled there for work in the early 2000s.

It had some issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sports/high-school-football-rape-case-unfolds-online-and-divides-steubenville-ohio.html

I and my fellow "coastal elites" look forward to future reports from "Real America".

Excerpt from lyrics for Bruce Springsteen's Youngstown as first part of reports from "Real America":

"Now the yards just scrap and rubble
He said, 'Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do'
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country's wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we're wondering what they were dyin for."

Link to YT video of Youngstown:  

To whom do you think Bruce Springsteen is referring to in the lyrics to Youngstown:  "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do"

IOW, who are "Them big boys"?

RealityForAll said:

To whom do you think Bruce Springsteen is referring to in the lyrics to Youngstown:  "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do"

They destroyed our families’ factories and they took our homes
They left our bodies on the plains, the vultures picked our bones

So listen up, my sonny boy, be ready for when they come
For they’ll be returning sure as the rising sun
Now get yourself a song to sing and sing it ’til you’re done
Yeah, sing it hard and sing it well
Send the robber barons straight to hell
The greedy thieves who came around
And ate the flesh of everything they found
Whose crimes have gone unpunished now
Who walk the streets as free men now

Ah, they brought death to our hometown, boys

RealityForAll said:

who do you think?

ml1 said:

RealityForAll said:

who do you think?

I asked the question.  Please elucidate us.  

Then we can compare answers.

RealityForAll said:

As you can see above, I went to the source for an answer. 

RealityForAll said:

it's art. It's left intentionally vague so it can mean whomever you think it means. 

RealityForAll said:

Please elucidate us.  

When I want to be made clear, I’ll try doing it myself.

Who are "Them big boys"?

My top four in pic attached.

RealityForAll said:

Who are "Them big boys"?

That would be a bad guess if we're talking about idled industrial sites.

Springsteen's lyrics exactly describe the vein of grievance that Republicans are exploiting.

When NAFTA was signed, it was a death sentence for Democrats in the industrial Midwest.

RealityForAll said:

Who are "Them big boys"?

The song is obviously describing the decline of industrialization in the 70s, and Mark Zuckerberg was born in 1984. Even if you consider the song contemporary, he was 9 when it was written. And finally, for all its faults, Facebook is a website, and I don't think you can blame it for the death of middle America.

ridski said:

The song is obviously describing the decline of industrialization in the 70s, and Mark Zuckerberg was born in 1984. Even if you consider the song contemporary, he was 9 when it was written. And finally, for all its faults, Facebook is a website, and I don't think you can blame it for the death of middle America.

You don't think it was the tale of a hapless senior citizen who thought Windows XP would be her forever OS?

I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time so I was a bit behind.  It was worth it though for mtierney's classic posts about how white people invented jazz.  

It's like reading an unintentional Onion.

With regards to pizza, about a month ago, my daughter came home with a "Spicy Pierogi Pizza" from Boston Pizza, a Canadian chain that was started here in Edmonton by people from Greece.

I think it is an experience common to immigrants around the world.  You move to a new country and you think you will be able to raise your children with a respect for the traditions of your homeland.  Then, one day, they come home with something so shockingly foreign that you realize a gulf has opened between you.

Like a Spicy Pierogi Pizza.  That's sour cream on the top.

RealityForAll said:

Who are "Them big boys"?

As Ridski pointed out, that's a strange grouping you chose. But if you're going for Silicon Valley ultra-rich people, I think you forgot  J.D. Vance bankroller Peter Thiel.

Apparently they’ve been making these in Pittsburgh for well over 12 years….leading some Googlers to ask if pierogi are Italian!

GoSlugs said:

With regards to pizza, about a month ago, my daughter came home with a "Spicy Pierogi Pizza" from Boston Pizza, a Canadian chain that was started here in Edmonton by people from Greece.

I think it is an experience common to immigrants around the world.  You move to a new country and you think you will be able to raise your children with a respect for the traditions of your homeland.  Then, one day, they come home with something so shockingly foreign that you realize a gulf has opened between you.

Like a Spicy Pierogi Pizza.  That's sour cream on the top.

Edited for spelling. 

PVW said:

RealityForAll said:

Who are "Them big boys"?

As Ridski pointed out, that's a strange grouping you chose. But if you're going for Silicon Valley ultra-rich people, I think you forgot  J.D. Vance bankroller Peter Thiel.

None of those guys effed America more than Carl Icahn did.

RealityForAll said:

Who are "Them big boys"?

given the song is written from the POV of a person who worked in the mills, it would probably be some combination of corporate executives, politicians and union leaders. I'm figuring your list of four might be your idea of a joke. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.