Biden's wins

mtierney said:

My guess is the Afghanistan debacle just won’t be forgotten

it won't be "forgotten." But few aside from yourself are still harping on it. 


ml1 said:

mtierney said:

My guess is the Afghanistan debacle just won’t be forgotten

it won't be "forgotten." But few aside from yourself are still harping on it. 

The political post-mortem on Afghanistan will do everything except to come up with lessons learned.

I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a single instance where we have performed successful nation-building. And don't say Japan and Germany.  Those nations were already fully-formed and given a choice between aligning with the U.S. or the USSR...well, there wasn't really a choice.

Although, if the whole experience makes us think again about foreign wars for a time, that will be good.


tjohn said:

The political post-mortem on Afghanistan will do everything except to come up with lessons learned.

I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a single instance where we have performed successful nation-building. And don't say Japan and Germany.  Those nations were already fully-formed and given a choice between aligning with the U.S. or the USSR...well, there wasn't really a choice.

Although, if the whole experience makes us think again about foreign wars for a time, that will be good.

Former confederacy, 1865 - 1877? Of course, when it got too hard we just kind of gave up and tossed much the progress away, and now "patriots" storm the U.S. Capitol with the treason flag and get lauded by major media and political figures.


PVW said:

tjohn said:

The political post-mortem on Afghanistan will do everything except to come up with lessons learned.

I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a single instance where we have performed successful nation-building. And don't say Japan and Germany.  Those nations were already fully-formed and given a choice between aligning with the U.S. or the USSR...well, there wasn't really a choice.

Although, if the whole experience makes us think again about foreign wars for a time, that will be good.

Former confederacy, 1865 - 1877? Of course, when it got too hard we just kind of gave up and tossed much the progress away, and now "patriots" storm the U.S. Capitol with the treason flag and get lauded by major media and political figures.

I recently read "The Nation That Never Was: Reconstructing America’s Story", by Kermit Roosevelt III, which includes a discussion of Reconstruction. It sounds very much like another failed attempt at "nation building", where in the end the original oppressors resume their roles over the rest of the population.

It started out as promising as any other "nation building": "Reconstruction accomplished amazing things – by military force. At the point of a bayonet, the Constitution was transformed by the Reconstruction Amendments. Former Confederate states wrote new constitutions that affirmed equality. Black men – former slaves – were elected to state and federal office." (p. 95) But that didn't last once the occupying forces left, as he writes on the next page -

"With the Compromise of 1877, the federal government abandons, or at best largely scales back, the use of federal military power to support state governments. The integrated governments that were set up are overthrown by force, and southern whites take back control. Like Lincoln’s unpopularity in the South, the extremism of this shift in power is hard to overstate."

"Most Americans don’t know that military coups swept over half the country, with the acquiescence of the federal government. But that’s what happened. The legitimate governments of southern states and cities were overthrown by force, by white supremacist paramilitary organizations. Black people and Republicans were disenfranchised and massacred. They call it the Redemption of the South, and what it means is we turn away from the idea of equality. We restore racial hierarchy. Redeemer governments write new constitutions; they put up monuments to Confederates and terrorists."

All very Taliban-like.


Biden win (although the GOP thinks it can spin it their way, they sound pathetic). 


nohero said:

Biden win (although the GOP thinks it can spin it their way, they sound pathetic). 

there are probably 100X more potential terrorists in the Fox News audience than the number screened at the border.  Maybe 1000X.


Start doing more of this, one more for the win column:

Each quote tweet simply listed the member of Congress' name and how much in PPP loans they had forgiven: The White House says …

Buchanan had the most of the cohort with $2.3 million in forgiven loans, 

followed by Mullin ($1.4 million), 

Hern ($1 million), 

Kelly ($987,237),

Gaetz ($482,321) and 

M.T Greene ($183,504).


https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2022/08/25/white-house-slams-republicans-who-criticized-student-debt-relief-but-used-ppp-loans/



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.