2024 GQP Presidential Hopefuls - Who's The Trumpiest Of Them All?

It wouldn't surprise me if Don Jr. is the GOP nominee in 2024.  I doubt Sr really wants to run again, and he's probably satisfied to operate his "Office of the Ex-President" from FL, and continue to fleece his cult members.  But while any other Republican candidate will likely follow the Trump formula of white grievance and hostility, the ones with a veneer of respectability like Haley, Kasich or Cotton lack Trump's weird charisma.  And that charisma seems in large part based on his unique ability to cause "liberal tears."  His idiotic rants at his rallies, the tweet storms, the brazen corruption -- who else embodies that?  Junior of course.  

ml1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Don Jr. is the GOP nominee in 2024. ...

First he has to "pop the question" to his inamorata. 

I do believe that the GOP deserve Junior as their candidate.  Though the 2 most powerful were already in the White House - Jared and Junior's sister.  They could always get back their incredibly needed adversarial roles.  Jared could finally solve ME peace.  And Junior can finally announce Donny's Health Care plan (that he was so close to announce).

ml1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Don Jr. is the GOP nominee in 2024.  

Nothing about the GOP will surprise me anymore. 

STANV said:

ml1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Don Jr. is the GOP nominee in 2024.  

Nothing about the GOP will surprise me anymore. 

that's true. Joe Picopo or David Duke or Meat Loaf or Ted Nugent could end up being the nominee and no one would be surprised. 

I understand mtierney supports Marjorie Taylor Greene. With Giuliani as vP 

I mentioned it before I think, but Ben Sasse seems to be trying to set himself up as a sane moderate Republican. He recently stated "politics isn't about the weird worship of one dude." Sounds like he's planting a flag to see who rallies around it.

Given what I've been reading and hearing I think a Trumpist Republican is going to have a high chance of winning the nomination in 2024, especially in a crowded field. It's less likely if he's up against one strong GOP centrist, but the 2016 formula of early pluralistic wins to build a lead and then majorities after a bunch of candidates drop out could be successful again. 

I was wrong about GOP primaries being winner take all. So sorry for that. 

But Trump won the nomination with less than half (14M out of 31M) and he didn't win a majority in any state until New York on April 19th. At that point everyone but Kasich and Cruz had withdrawn and Trump had a solid lead in delegates and all the momentum. Collectively Cruz, Rubio and Kasich had more votes than Trump, so who know what might have happened if only one of those three had been running.

Four years of the Trump presidency has probably altered what would happen in 2024. Some Republicans are probably fully in the Trump spell now who didn't vote for him in 2016. We also have to see what prosecutors can make stick against that family. I know legally you can run for office from prison but the Trump style is big in-person rallies.

In 2020 a number of State Republican Parties cancelled Primaries and just endorsed Trump. I do not think the Laws of most States allow that. For instance I believe that in NJ anyone can file Petitions to run in the Primary, but I think if Trump decided to run he would try to pressure the Party to just nominate him without Primaries and Caucuses.

mrincredible said:

Four years of the Trump presidency has probably altered what would happen in 2024. Some Republicans are probably fully in the Trump spell now who didn't vote for him in 2016. We also have to see what prosecutors can make stick against that family. I know legally you can run for office from prison but the Trump style is big in-person rallies.

So maybe big in-prison rallies.

As I suggested upthread Nikki Haley would probably take a run at it. I think today's Politico piece suggests she is ready to step up. Maybe hoping Republican women are looking for a distraction from their fallen hero.

Cover is reminiscent of a poster of a former President.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2021/magazine-nikki-haleys-choice/

nohero said:

Smedley said:

If the nomination were made today I'd agree with this. But I think it's reasonable to expect Trumpism to fade over the next couple years, and if Trumpism fades, Sasse's a legitimate contender.  

For Trumpism to fade, those who appeal to Trumpism have to fade away.

So Cruz, Hawley, Pompeo, Kristi Noem, Joni Ernst, Tom Cotton, Nikki Haley et al. have to either fade away or find new themes and postures - and do it fairly soon.

And, per Ms. Morganna's post above, Nikki is strategizing about how to move beyond Trump but still staying in the good graces of the Trumpists.

Here was Haley, someone with a reputation for speaking candidly to Trump, someone who had the courage as governor to remove the Confederate flag from her state capitol, admitting that she hadn’t bothered to challenge him—even in private—on a deception that threatened the stability of American life. Why not?

“I understand the president. I understand that genuinely, to his core, he believes he was wronged,” Haley told me. “This is not him making it up.”

But at the same time -

“I think he’s going to find himself further and further isolated,” Haley said. “I think his business is suffering at this point. I think he’s lost any sort of political viability he was going to have. I think he’s lost his social media, which meant the world to him. I mean, I think he’s lost the things that really could have kept him moving.”
“He’s not going to run for federal office again,” Haley said.
“I don’t think he’s going to be in the picture,” she said, matter-of-factly. “I don’t think he can. He’s fallen so far.”
“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

Haley has an advantage over her Senate rivals - she doesn't have to cast a vote in the impeachment trial.  That helps her with both pro- and anti-Trump people.

nohero said:

Haley has an advantage over her Senate rivals - she doesn't have to cast a vote in the impeachment trial.  That helps her with both pro- and anti-Trump people.

Just mentioned to a friend that unlike Cheney they can't sanction her. Rubio is probably kicking himself. He had picked her as his running mate.

She was not a fan of Trump but after being appointed to her position in the U.N. she played the game while occasionally speaking out.

Well her portrait is in purple with a red background. Let's see if she gets invited to a few talk shows. If enough Republican women start leaving the party, they might gamble that Nikki Haley might appeal to suburban women and like Kamala Harris she is a woman of color as well as a child of immigrants from India. I think she is someone to watch. 

A comment I read earlier today -

If Nikki Haley were any more calculating, she'd be an abacus.

nohero said:

A comment I read earlier today

Not too crazy about that line of critique. All politicians are trying to be at least somewhat strategic about the future, and the "calculating" criticism is often gendered.

PVW said:

nohero said:

Not too crazy about that line of critique. All politicians are trying to be at least somewhat strategic about the future, and the "calculating" criticism is often gendered.

You say "all" politicians, but can you name a major Democratic politician that has reversed themselves like your typical Trumpian Republican?

I think the critique is fine. She sucks.

Haley is a committed Republican.  Full stop.

She's more a committed Haley-ite if you ask me.

drummerboy said:

She's more a committed Haley-ite if you ask me.

yes, she's all about herself. But she's not going to buck thr Trumpists in the base. 

If Nikki Haley moves the Republican Party a little more to the center I'll look at it as a good thing. And if the party nominates a female candidate it gives 50% if the population, representation. I'm happy with that.

She was raised in a religion that is typically vegetarian so maybe she will move people around her to see things in a different way. It is not her current faith but it is part of her background.

I'm hoping that women will apreciate the acknowledgement. I ask the same of Republican women when I cheer for VP Kamala Harris. And I'm happy when men cheer as well.

PVW said:

nohero said:

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between being "strategic" (as in, how do I best present my positions) and "calculating" (how do I shape my positions to help me the most).  Haley is definitely the latter, imho, and I think that's a "gender neutral" observation.  Trump was just as calculating, but also relied on bombast and his "white male" advantages.

Morganna said:

If Nikki Haley moves the Republican Party a little more to the center I'll look at it as a good thing. And if the party nominates a female candidate it gives 50% if the population, representation. I'm happy with that.

She was raised in a religion that is typically vegetarian so maybe she will move people around her to see things in a different way. It is not her current faith but it is part of her background.

I'm hoping that women will apreciate the acknowledgement. I ask the same of Republican women when I cheer for VP Kamala Harris. And I'm happy when men cheer as well.

The only movement that Haley will work for is to move the GQP in a "pro-Haley" direction.  

nohero said:

PVW said:

nohero said:

Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between being "strategic" (as in, how do I best present my positions) and "calculating" (how do I shape my positions to help me the most).  Haley is definitely the latter, imho, and I think that's a "gender neutral" observation.  Trump was just as calculating, but also relied on bombast and his "white male" advantages.

Oh, I don't trust Haley at all -- she did agree to work in the Trump admin, after all -- but perhaps precisely for that matter I'm wary of the "calculating" critique. It raised my hackles when I heard Clinton, Gillibrand, or Harris labeled that way, so to let it pass when applied to a politician I don't like, well, seems a danger I'm letting my political biases obscure my ability to recognize other biases.

Morganna said:

she won't move the party one millimeter.  She will adapt herself to whatever she thinks will get her elected.  I voted for Hillary Clinton, so I think a woman presidential candidate would be a great thing.  But only on the Democratic side.  Just being a woman isn't going to make a Republican any better than a man would be.

nohero said: "Fair enough, but I think there's a difference between being "strategic" (as in, how do I best present my positions) and "calculating" (how do I shape my positions to help me the most)."

Exactly! and thanks for the formulation.  I don't know enough about Haley to apply it to her, but there's an overwhelming and dismaying amount of it around.

ml1 said:

she won't move the party one millimeter.  She will adapt herself to whatever she thinks will get her elected.  I voted for Hillary Clinton, so I think a woman presidential candidate would be a great thing.  But only on the Democratic side.  Just being a woman isn't going to make a Republican any better than a man would be.

I think if a woman is nominated or considered, it will empower other women to step up. I am happy that the Dems won but disappointed that out of so many qualified women the Dems couldn't find one to support for their nominee, despite our support on MOL. The field became cluttered as more men kept throwing their hats in the ring long after these women announced. We have a female VP because of Biden not because of the voters across the land.  

For my issues the Dems are a better party than the Republicans but I have my complaints as do most of us on this board.

The power in this country flips back and forth every few years so whether I like the ideology or not, the other side will win again and if they have someone who is better than the last crazed individual I'l breathe a little easier.

And since the thread was who do we think has a chance, I thought she might gain traction. Do we really want to see the last guy run again? I always hope for the best Republican to come forward because like it or not in this country they often have a 50/50 chance. I don't see the best male candidate yet, but I thought Kasich was the best one of the last round. I just don't know if he'll take a run at it.

I didn't click on it - but I saw on CNN that Lindsay says that Lara Trump is the future of the GOP.

jamie said:

I didn't click on it - but I saw on CNN that Lindsay says that Lara Trump is the future of the GOP.

Lara is Eric Trump's wife. So Lindsay is saying that the future of the GQP is like being shackled to a downward-spiraling, soon-to-be-bankrupt loser and his loathsome family.

Morganna said:

ml1 said:

I think if a woman is nominated or considered, it will empower other women to step up. I am happy that the Dems won but disappointed that out of so many qualified women the Dems couldn't find one to support for their nominee, despite our support on MOL. The field became cluttered as more men kept throwing their hats in the ring long after these women announced. We have a female VP because of Biden not because of the voters across the land.  

For my issues the Dems are a better party than the Republicans but I have my complaints as do most of us on this board.

The power in this country flips back and forth every few years so whether I like the ideology or not, the other side will win again and if they have someone who is better than the last crazed individual I'l breathe a little easier.

And since the thread was who do we think has a chance, I thought she might gain traction. Do we really want to see the last guy run again? I always hope for the best Republican to come forward because like it or not in this country they often have a 50/50 chance. I don't see the best male candidate yet, but I thought Kasich was the best one of the last round. I just don't know if he'll take a run at it.

the issue with the GOP is their base primary voters.  It doesn't matter who runs, male or female, in order to get the votes of the base the candidates will have to make a sprint to Crazytown.  Even if Trump isn't running, Trumpism will be on the ballot.  

jamie said:

He’s just trying to keep the Trump brand in the news. She first might try  to get to the senate, but that means moving out of New York. 
I just wish we would stop mentioning the Trump name indefinitely. If her father in law couldn’t beat a democrat what makes anyone think she can be president? This whole idea is just to keep the liberals talking about these people. I think they should all be prosecuted for tax evasion. That would shut up Lindsay and the other cretins.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.