Poldark on PBS 2015

Poldark returns to Masterpiece

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/poldark-returns-masterpiece/?elq=0a781ad6d36046a8a9784e5e2acccde4&elqCampaignId=920

I must tell D!!! He'll be really excited to check it out, got really sucked into the drama of the original storyline!
oh oh

OMG thank you for letting me know.

I loved it in the 1970s. I'll watch the new version, although I don't see how the new guy could be any sexier than Robin Ellis.

But see - Robin Ellis is the new Reverend Halse, so it'll still 'sizzle'... ;-)

oh, look who's the new Demelza
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/poldark-star-robin-ellis-appear-3401846

article on Ellis
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/469559/Robin-Ellis-My-return-to-Poldark-the-remake

Oh my! I was just looking at Poldark on Netflix the other day. Loved it, loved the books. I hope the new one will be as good.

I remember the old series outdoor scenes in Cornwall. Spectacular setting.

I looked at pbs website. Poldark will begin in June.

Incredible. I am so looking forward to this!

All the stories ignore the 1996 version. Probably wise.

So this is the new version? They won't show the old first??

How many episodes were there in the original? And is it available online?

The article Joanne posted said the original had 29 episodes. Don't know if they are available. It also mentioned that Robin Ellis lives in France and writes cookbooks. He is supposed to have a cameo part in the new version.

Peggy, I could see if D can do a version for your TV from our copies, if you like. I know he had to search for quite a while to find them.

They had the old ones on Netflix a few years back.Not sure if they still do. Was quite fun watching them.

Netflix has (some?) on DVD. Amazon seems to have (some?) for streaming, as does Acorn? Anyhow, there are lots of listings from Google search for "streaming Poldark," no clue which are useful or legit.

Yes, Netflix has it on dvd. There were two seasons and then it ended.

No need, Joanne, but thank you for offering D's services. wink I was wondering only because I doubt they will do a marathon of the old ones before the new one starts, when there were that many episodes.

Broadcast quality is quite poor, as I think was mentioned above. Then there's the conversion factor for TV system, which may further lessen what you land up with. It's so much easier now so much of it digital to begin with.

I loved Poldark! But Aidan Turner... he played a dwarf in The Hobbit, right?!

deborahg said:

I loved Poldark! But Aidan Turner... he played a dwarf in The Hobbit, right?!

Yep this one.

The hot dead dwarf. Hm.

I think the new Poldark series premiers on June 21st.

Yes, I noticed that last night before Wolf Hall. Great season for Anglophiles!

deborahg said:

The hot dead dwarf. Hm.

Dead? So I guess that means he dies in the last movie, the Five Armies one? I haven't seen it yet.

Wolf Hall was great. For anyone who is interested in Tudor history, it was a wonderful insight into the personalities (or possible personalities, because who really knows?) of the men surrounding Henry VIII who wielded the power, for a time.

I thought that Thomas Cromwell was a bit cheeky when he talked with (the powerful and scary) King Henry and seemed unafraid to do so. Henry seemed to take in Cromwell's remarks quite calmly.

He was. I suspect we are meant to think that impressed Henry favorably.

It has always astonished me that Cromwell showed great loyalty to Cardinal Wolsey, even after Wolsey failed to secure the divorce so Henry could marry Anne Boleyn and Henry (and Anne) began to hate him (eventually executing him) yet Cromwell managed to turn it around and become extremely powerful at court. He really knew how to read the prevailing winds and behave in accordance. In that time period, if you came to public attention, you really had to know how to work the system and fool people if you wanted to keep your head or avoid being burned alive. Crazy times.

Sadly for Cromwell, he had his own major failure when he recommended that Henry marry Anne of Cleves. Anne was Protestant, and Cromwell wanted to try to sway England back in that direction (Henry always skewed Catholic in terms of ritual and matters of faith, but Cromwell was a Reformer) so he pushed for that marriage. Unfortunately for him, Henry hated Anne on sight, and so Cromwell lost his head over one of Henry's marriages, just as his master Wolsey had before him.

deborahg said:

Yes, I noticed that last night before Wolf Hall. Great season for Anglophiles!

When it comes to PBS...when isn,t it a great seaon for anglophiles?
How many US made programs (series) are there on PBS?

Wolsey died of natural causes before Henry could send him to Tower Green (as he surely would have done).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.