patient experience sought

A couple of hrs ago dr. Gave me news that I need hip replacement.   I’m mostly OK with that idea.  I,m currently seeking other patients’ experience.  I,d like to sit down F2F for discussion with folks who have been, done that…good and bad.


Thanks for and ALL comments.


I've had a knee and hip replacement. Hip was Dec 2020.

I have no complaints. Had the operation at Morristown because my surgeon, who I will recommend if you want, preferred the Morristown facilities over Barnabas. (he did my knee at Barnabas) Don't know if his preference has changed since then.

Recovery was easier (less painful) for the hip than for the knee, though recovery time was probably longer for the hip (before I felt 100%). I'd estimate about 7-8 months before I felt 100%, whereas for the knee I was playing racquetball after about 4-5 months. Unfortunately, due to pandemic and other issues, I haven't been able to test the hip at racquetball yet.

Was in the hospital for 1 or 2 nights.  I forget exactly.

Anyway, it was pretty easy and I've got nothing bad to say about it.

Go for it! It's great to be without pain.


Apollo_T said:

A couple of hrs ago dr. Gave me news that I need hip replacement.   I’m mostly OK with that idea.  I,m currently seeking other patients’ experience.  I,d like to sit down F2F for discussion with folks who have been, done that…good and bad.


Thanks for and ALL comments.

Had a hip replaced in May 2017. It was done at the Hospital for Special Surgery and the experience  was excellent. Minimal pain, return to driving in three weeks, and walking comfortably surprisingly soon though the exact timeline escapes me. I am not at all athletic but had enjoyed water aerobics and walked for exercise, so was in reasonably good shape for an almost seventy year old. I am no longer as active I was a few years ago but that is largely a product of the pandemic and related issues.


My  surgeon is no longer at HSS but if I do get the other hip done I would probably get it done there. (Amazing views of the East River from the rooms and a fairly upbeat atmosphere because  people are mostly not sick, just being repaired.) If someone told me about a really good surgeon at Morristown or Overlook I would give that some consideration given that my original surgeon is not in the area anymore.

Physical therapy was low key but started within days—I think that’s important. Day after surgery at hospital, a few days at home, then two or three days a week at a PT facility that was part of a loosely linked HSS network.


@drummerboy  @Bluehouse1,

Thanks so much for your time.  I left this here for a while to see what others might have to say.  Some years at least 1 older lady had success with first hip replacement that she had the other one done too.  Never came off the cane second time.  I think same happened with the lady next door.

Really appreciate your comments on timeline and pain.  At first blush seems like this would be a big deal.  After all they will be removing and replacing something the size of your fist!  That’s something that would have me concerned.  I don’t want to be a ‘sick’ boy for any real long time.

Sounds like a week later should be able to walk around the block.  I really like walking and idly “browsing’; like spending a couple of hours at the depot.  Strange thought- 2 weeks able to kneel, crawl?  Did either of you get second opinion?

Thanks again for me and maybe for some one that’s lurking


Apollo_T said:

@drummerboy  @Bluehouse1,

Thanks so much for your time.  I left this here for a while to see what others might have to say.  Some years at least 1 older lady had success with first hip replacement that she had the other one done too.  Never came off the cane second time.  I think same happened with the lady next door.

Really appreciate your comments on timeline and pain.  At first blush seems like this would be a big deal.  After all they will be removing and replacing something the size of your fist!  That’s something that would have me concerned.  I don’t want to be a ‘sick’ boy for any real long time.

Sounds like a week later should be able to walk around the block.  I really like walking and idly “browsing’; like spending a couple of hours at the depot.  Strange thought- 2 weeks able to kneel, crawl?  Did either of you get second opinion?

Thanks again for me and maybe for some one that’s lurking

Yes; I did get a second opinion, from the surgeon at HSS. Initial recommendation had been by an orthopedist in the Hudson Valley, where I lived then. You should be able to walk around the block carefully with an assistive device a week later. I don't remember about kneeling and crawling but do recall that getting to ground level (knowing I guess) was challenging for longer than walking was. Stairs can take a while too, to get back to going up and down the "big kid" way rather than one foot at a time.


not my personal experience, but my cousin had both hips replaced last year (consecutively). He's in his late 50s and otherwise fit. Both were outpatient surgeries, and they had him up and walking (with support) before they sent him home the same day(s). No driving for a few weeks (longer for the right hip, of course). But he was able to manage pretty well at home almost immediately, using a walker, and was very diligent about physical therapy. It's been about 6 months since the second hip was done, and he's back riding a bike and normal activity. 
He says a lot depends on your level of fitness beforehand, and most importantly how they need to actually do the replacement--anterior, lateral, posterior (anterior the least complicated and the easier recovery, I believe)

added: he's completely happy with the outcome, and very glad he had it done (while he's "young enough to enjoy it"). He's not in NJ, so can't recommend a local surgeon.


The Dr. I’m currently with is very highly thought so a second opinion will be frosting on the ‘decision cake’.  But I do strongly believe in second opinions. 

@ril thanks for taking the time to reply.  Your comment re: surgical approach is some thing I haven’t come across- important question for next consult.  THANKS.  I’m still in the early stages of prep. 

@Bluehouse1  I have been looking for a good comparison for sick v mechanical medical problems. Your idea of sick v ‘broken’ hits that nail on the head.

From all of the foregoing I think my time table should rather soon with most recovery while it’s warm rather postpone recovery happens between snows.


I thought the patient was the one who should tell the doctor when it was time to have hip replacement.

That’s what my friends who have had hip replacement tell me. That’s what their doctors told them.


I’ve heard the same thing about cataract surgery. 


dickf3 said:

I thought the patient was the one who should tell the doctor when it was time to have hip replacement.

That’s what my friends who have had hip replacement tell me. That’s what their doctors told them.

yeah, that's what I did. doc asked me if I wanted to try PT first and I said no, let's just do it.


With regard to hip replacement timing, I was mostly fine until a couple of months ago.  I don’t recall having any problems at Xmas celebration.  This even though first problems this time around caused us to buy a new bed.  The hip prob kept getting worse so made appt.  This where current situation arose.

Since it sort of came to a head rather quickly I don’t have a ref to how severe the pain is.  It’s affecting mobility, but a part of me nags, “Is it really that bad?  Am I  whoosing out?”  Ultimately I don’t see a reason for procrastination given my idea(above) about recupe timing. I just need to get the second opinion.

Which brings me to part 2 of this reply.  Cataract surgery and second opinions.  Our reg guy started in a bout cataracts some years ago.  I didn’t(still don’t) feel a need for it.  So a friend got me in quickly for a second opinion that basically said I could wait at least 4 yrs.

A bit later on I had an emergency which had me in another Dr’s office.  She said she didn’t see any particular need for cataract surgery.   That’s why I want a second opinion even though I pretty sure it will just confirm the first one.

A final note- new changes in our current insurance coming into effect April 1.  May affect my siuation.


no hip experience but back experience.  I waited way to ling for my back surgery and was in (unnecessary ) pain doing the I'm going to tough it out thing.  This time, I will be getting the surgery before I am debilitated and can't move.  I will heal quicker and have more muscle tone. The Dr said it was up to me, and I was a fool to wait


My mother has had seven hip replacements, five of which were at HSS in New York and one at HSS in Connecticut. Happy to tell you her experiences with HSS surgeons, as she's seen quite a few there now!


@MsSumida,  I understand.  The way this hit and progressed had me on the phone and in the office in record time.  As I said I need the confirmation of a second opinion and I’m good to go.  I certainly hope you’re not in that posittion again.  Thanks for reply.

@zucca— 7? That has me concerned.  Please explain.



Apollo_T said:

...

@zucca— 7? That has me concerned.  Please explain.

er, yeah.

I've heard of getting a hip redone, but multiple times seems worrisome.


Apollo_T said:

@MsSumida,  I understand.  The way this hit and progressed had me on the phone and in the office in record time.  As I said I need the confirmation of a second opinion and I’m good to go.  I certainly hope you’re not in that posittion again.  Thanks for reply.

@zucca— 7? That has me concerned.  Please explain.

She had the first one done at a very young age, after bone loss due to radiation treatment. It was early days for the surgery then, and the parts lasted longer than expected but eventually gave out; most people don't get the surgery young enough for that to be an issue. She is a complicated case, but there was at least one problem hip replacement with a top HSS doctor that never seemed right and ended up dislocating completely and having to be redone with a more constrained socket. 

She went to Mass General for the first hip replacement and to HSS for all the others, with a lot of care taken when choosing surgeons, so it's not like she didn't have top surgeons each time. 

That said, it is generally a much easier surgery than other joint surgeries, such as knee and shoulder. As others have said, you are up and about more or less right away, and the recovery is comparatively easier.


BTW @drummerboy,

I sent a PM request for your rec.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertise here!

Sponsored Business

Find Business