And Duck Soup

But that’s irrelephant.

DaveSchmidt said:

Anatomy of a Murder

Paths of Glory

To Kill a Mockingbird

Breaker Morant

The Verdict

Ooo 3 of my favorites! I don't remember Paths of Glory or Breaker Morant.

If I wasn't budgeting within an inch of my heating bill, I would spring for tickets for To Kill A Mockingbird.

Anatomy of a Murder, crazy about the entire cast but Lee Remick wow. I was helping my mother at an antique show and we met her. She was dazzling.

The Verdict, incredible Paul Newman.

I'd love to have all of them on DVD.

For a lighter touch, Adam's Rib.

For a truly lighter touch... Legal Eagles.

I know, I know.

What about Lorenzo’s Oil?

ridski said:

I know, I know.

Lorenzo's Oil was about dying kids, right? That's why I never saw it. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

I know, I know.

Lorenzo's Oil was about dying kids, right? That's why I never saw it. 

I think it had a happy ending. I could never get past Nick Nolte with an Italian accent though.

ridski said:

I know, I know.

I recall liking Legal Eagles well enough when I saw it in the theater. But I’m the guy who also enjoyed Ishtar around that same time.

I could just say you had all the best legal movies, but you’re just jealous I reminded you of the best ones ever, homeslices.

annielou said:

My cousin vinny 

A top ten comedy of all time.

Saw a lovely small indie film over the weekend at the Angelika, called SAINT FRANCES. Don't know if it will ever find wider release but look for it. - maybe streaming at some point.

Here's the brief review from the NYT.

Vaginal bleeding plays a potent supporting role in Alex Thompson’s “Saint Frances,” unsurprising in a movie this deeply invested in the everyday joys and agonies of being a woman.
Covering one difficult, transformative summer in the life of a dissatisfied waitress named Bridget (played by the film’s writer, Kelly O’Sullivan), the movie gently queries our assumptions about what constitutes female success. At 34, Bridget worries that time is running out on finding a career, landing a life partner and, especially, having children. She’s not sure she wants these things, she just knows she’s expected to want them. Her parents hint darkly about her aging uterus, and her younger, more relaxed lover (Max Lipchitz) wonders why she refuses to define their connection as a relationship.

Then, almost simultaneously, she makes a momentous life decision and is hired by a mixed-race lesbian couple (Charin Alvarez and Lily Mojekwu) as a nanny to Frances (Ramona Edith-Williams), their precocious six-year-old. Initially a rather inept caregiver, Bridget gradually warms to her lively charge and her stressed-out employers. More important, she begins to make peace with herself.
With a warm heart and a nonjudgmental mind, “Saint Frances” weaves abortion, same-sex parenting and postpartum depression into a narrative bursting with positivity and acceptance. Some scenes can feel forced and even a little hectoring (as when a breastfeeding mother is verbally attacked in a public park). Others, though, are so modestly insightful — and the performers so appealingly natural — that we forgive the occasional heavy hand. Bridget’s bond with the family feels organic and restorative, the movie making the argument that family is wherever you find it. And if Bridget still lacks direction, it could be because she no longer needs one.

I bet that's the first time "vaginal bleeding" has ever led a movie review.

drummerboy said:

I bet that's the first time "vaginal bleeding" has ever led a movie review.

I see a lot of movies and read a lot of movie reviews and I think you're right.

The best seque that I can come up with is Agnes of God.. Strange and not sure if I can say I liked the film but it was an eerily fascinating story and somehow I think the above reference works with the plot.

In honor of the times in which we now live, I will be watching Twelve Monkeys tonight.

What's on your pandemic watch list?

slipping in a book recommendation.  The early chapters of the all around terrific historical novel "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Shutter Island) offers an extremely evocative and chilling account of the Spanish Flu pandemic, mostly in Boston.

bub said:

slipping in a book recommendation.  The early chapters of the all around terrific historical novel "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Shutter Island) offers an extremely evocative and chilling account of the Spanish Flu pandemic, mostly in Boston.

Hmm, I loved both of those films. Just really caught all of Shutter Island, a film you can't catch in the middle and figure out what is going on. Hard enough when you do start from the beginning.

Just watched Big Night, one of my favorite movies and one of the great food movies.

This last scene always kills me.

Just watched American History X again.  Edward Norton draws me in every time.

Another Edward Norton film that I love, probably not very well known is The Painted Veil. Watched it every time it ran.

2 very different roles for him. Something changes in his face, his expressions. Hard to believe it is the same actor.

Love to know if anyone else liked those films.

Morganna said:

Just watched American History X again.  Edward Norton draws me in every time.

Another Edward Norton film that I love, probably not very well known is The Painted Veil. Watched it every time it ran.

2 very different roles for him. Something changes in his face, his expressions. Hard to believe it is the same actor.

Love to know if anyone else liked those films.

I never saw Painted Veil but I'm a big Edward Norton fan. Loved American History X as repellent as it was.

I thought Motherless Brooklyn was awesome. But my favorite Edward Norton film is probably an early one: Primal Fear. He was so great in that. And a fantastic twist at the end.  

yeah, big Edward Norton fan here. I don't know The Painted Veil though, will have to look into that. Been meaning to watch Motherless Brooklyn too. I think Fight Club is my favorite Norton film, though Am History X ranks up there too.

anyway, the reason I came to post is that I just came across what looks like a great free movie site called kanopy.com. You need a local library card to use it, but they've got a great selection of movies - stuff that I think would normally be hard to find on the other streaming services. You can watch up to 10 movies a month.

Grab your library card and check it out.

oops. I think I saw The Painted Veil when it came out 14 years ago.  confused

wow. been browsing through kanopy.com

what a selection!

highly recommended.

(the only streaming service I have is Amazon Prime, so maybe other services are like this too. I dunno. But I'm impressed.)

Not sure all libraries have Kanopy, but I know I have access to it through the East Orange library.

Besides better and more movies to choose from than I get on my XFinity account.

Plus, they offier online classes in lots of different subject areas.  Not things you can get credit for, I don't think.  But put created by University level professors.

It's a great service I get for FREE!

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I never saw Painted Veil but I'm a big Edward Norton fan. Loved American History X as repellent as it was.

I thought Motherless Brooklyn was awesome. But my favorite Edward Norton film is probably an early one: Primal Fear. He was so great in that. And a fantastic twist at the end.  

Wow I forgot about Primal Fear! Great film!

Check out Painted Veil. If you are a Norton fan you will find this one hauntingly beautiful.

drummerboy said:

oops. I think I saw The Painted Veil when it came out 14 years ago. 
confused

What did you think? I fell in love with his character.

well, it was 14 years ago, and I don't remember much.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!