Movie Talk

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638360/

“There has never been such bickering at the 4077 ... even Hawkeye and BJ snipe at one another! Father Mulcahy obtains Colonel Potter's favorite 1946 John Ford classic western, ‘My Darling Clementine’ for 4077 movie night. Everyone, from Private to Major, has gone ‘plumb loco’ from all of the hard work, and Col. Potter is ecstatic to be able to screen this movie for his crew.”

I'm spending the evening with George Bailey

and remember, "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."

Morganna said:

I'm spending the evening with George Bailey

and remember, "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."

I'm watching it too.

"you're not paid to be a canary!"

=============================================

Has anyone seen a movie in the XD theater format? Thinking of seeing West Side Story.

Some newly discovered trivia, Sam (Hee Haw) Wainwright mentioned investing in soybeans on his phone call to George Bailey. 

Smart guy that Wainwright.

Wes Anderson's new flick is kind of an homage to The New Yorker magazine: The French Dispatch of the Liberty Kansas Evening Sun.   It's three short stories put together in kind of the manner the Coen Brothers produced The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but with less success.  Only the first story with Benicio del Toro playing an insane artist stays with me.  Bill Murray, the anchor of any Anderson production, is the "Harold Ross" editor, who appears in small snippets throughout the movie and the rest of the cast is Anderson's largest ensemble of Oscar-winning Hollywood names.  It's almost as if Anderson promises actors spots in his next movie (and the list keeps growing), then has to create a way to make a cohesive story. With so many, he had to go with a "magazine" format.  Another difficulty with some of the stories is that the language is in French with too small subtitles. Maybe we need a tv > 40"? Not happening.  I'll have to give French Dispatch a second viewing sometime, as I usually miss things with his movies on the first, but for now it's a 3/5 on the W. Anderson scale.  He's still my second favorite director named Anderson.

Speaking of Anderson (the other one) - can't wait to see Licorice Pizza.

DaveSchmidt said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638360/

“There has never been such bickering at the 4077 ... even Hawkeye and BJ snipe at one another! Father Mulcahy obtains Colonel Potter's favorite 1946 John Ford classic western, ‘My Darling Clementine’ for 4077 movie night. Everyone, from Private to Major, has gone ‘plumb loco’ from all of the hard work, and Col. Potter is ecstatic to be able to screen this movie for his crew.”

As a proud M*A*S*H complete series owner, I will tune into this episode this evening. Good catch!

drummerboy said:

Speaking of Anderson (the other one) - can't wait to see Licorice Pizza.

Speaking of Paul Thomas Anderson - there's a director I simply don't get. Boogie Nights was okay, I was meh over Magnolia, and I really liked Punch Drunk Love as a character study of Adam Sandler's other movies but didn't understand the colorful interludes. Anyway, I simply wasn't compelled to see any more of his movies. 

Wes Anderson, on the other hand, for all his schtick, I just love what he does. 

Paul W.S. Anderson, on the third hand, out of 18 films has made 2 great ones and 2 watchable ones and the rest are wallpaper.

I'm kind of the opposite re PTA and Wes. I just love Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

(You haven't seen There Will Be Blood? That might be worth your time.) I didn't quite get Phantom Thread though, and I think I need to rewatch The Master. Haven't seen Inherent Vice.

OTOH, I think Wes's films are just ok, for the most part. I guess our sensibilities just don't quite mesh, though I find his films entertaining - but rarely worth a rewatch.

I had to look up Anderson the 3rd - not my thing.

TRIVIA: To bring this full-circle. PT Anderson's first movie, Hard Eight, has a character and movie reference to Ford's My Darling Clementine.  What is it?

drummerboy said:

I'm kind of the opposite re PTA and Wes. I just love Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

(You haven't seen There Will Be Blood? That might be worth your time.) I didn't quite get Phantom Thread though, and I think I need to rewatch The Master. Haven't seen Inherent Vice.

OTOH, I think Wes's films are just ok, for the most part. I guess our sensibilities just don't quite mesh, though I find his films entertaining - but rarely worth a rewatch.

If you get a chance, see Shopping. Jude Law’s first movie. Straight up London gangster movie.

Started my morning off with another Christopher Guest film and it certainly set a giggly tone. For Your Consideration explores the production of Home for Purim. No matter how many times I see A Mighty Wind, Best in Show and For Your Consideration I crack up.

HBO has been running them but doesn't offer them On Demand.

Now if they would resurrect Spinal Tap......

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

If you get a chance, see Shopping. Jude Law’s first movie. Straight up London gangster movie.

Just viewed Shopping.   A gripping and gritty indictment of the class system.  Jonathan Pryce was great in it, as was Sean Bean as a heavy.  Wonder if the smash and grabs influenced those taking place in SF.

dave said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Just viewed Shopping.   A gripping and gritty indictment of the class system.  Jonathan Pryce was great in it, as was Sean Bean as a heavy.  Wonder if the smash and grabs influenced those taking place in SF.

I doubt it. That particular type of robbery - we used to call it "ram raiding" - was the moral panic of the late 80s/early 90s, and inspired the film. But hey, kids today are really into the 90s now, so who knows?

The Tender Bar on Prime is really good - with Ben Affleck:

Directed by George Clooney.

jamie said:

The Tender Bar on Prime is really good - with Ben Affleck:

Directed by George Clooney.

I liked it, too. 

I saw The Tragedy of Macbeth last week. Ugh. Not really a Shakespeare fan, and I was hoping that the dialogue would be more "Americanized". Alas, twas not.

It's hard enough for me to understand Shakespeare while reading it, but the entire cast seemed to have a case of the mumbles, which made it damn near impossible.

It was pretty interesting visually though. Shakespeare fans could love it. Me, not so much.

Meanwhile, Born Yesterday is on TCM. One of my faves - Judy Holiday is just genius.

Saw Licorice Pizza last night. I’m confused what it was supposed to be. I’m not a fan of whimsy in cinema and this had plenty of that. But what did any scene have to do with the next? The Gary character didn't have a believable 15 year old’s life at all. No consequences of any actions at all. Where did the money come from?  The acting was very good at times and I’m always happy to see Tom Waits make an appearance on screen but this was too ditzy and silly. If it was merely a love story, then I’m disappointed. These two had little chemistry and no re a son to be attracted to each other.  Bah, humbug. 

Friends raved about Belfast. 

drummerboy said:

I saw The Tragedy of Macbeth last week. Ugh. Not really a Shakespeare fan, and I was hoping that the dialogue would be more "Americanized". Alas, twas not.

It's hard enough for me to understand Shakespeare while reading it, but the entire cast seemed to have a case of the mumbles, which made it damn near impossible.

It was pretty interesting visually though. Shakespeare fans could love it. Me, not so much.

Meanwhile, Born Yesterday is on TCM. One of my faves - Judy Holiday is just genius.

Love Judy Holiday in Born Yesterday.  She died young and is not appreciated as much as she might have been.

bub said:

She died young and is not appreciated as much as she might have been.

Likewise Jean Hagen. (Also young. Also throat cancer. Also in Adam’s Rib. Also a J.H. who was far different in real life from her most famous character.)

I really liked Nobody with Odenkirk - on HBO now.  I know some thought it was a bit violent.  But it was well put together - really nice flow to it,

The Tinder Swindler is really good on Netflix.  

Oscar nominations: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/entertainment/oscar-nominations-list-2022/index.html

I see Jessica Chastain is up for, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" - not sure if we mentioned it here - but that's a pretty good movie!  On HBO.

You know, the original Planet of the Apes is pretty good. It definitely has its moments.

Watching it on TCM right now.

drummerboy said:

You know, the original Planet of the Apes is pretty good. It definitely has its moments.

Watching it on TCM right now.

The second one, with the creepy underground human mutants, ain't bad either.    The franchise goes total low budget crapola after that.

jamie said:

Oscar nominations: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/entertainment/oscar-nominations-list-2022/index.html

I see Jessica Chastain is up for, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" - not sure if we mentioned it here - but that's a pretty good movie!  On HBO.

I just watched it. I'm a big fan of Jessica Chastain but had a tough time watching her play Tammy Faye. I guess since that woman was such a caricature it was hard to feel that the acting was serious. Then again I've only seen a picture of Tammy Faye so it could have been a spot on portrayal. Hard to sit through but I did.

Green Book may be simplistic and manipulative, but I still love it.

Watching it again on FX. Great performances by the two leads.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.