The Mosquito Thread

We've been using fans set to 'high' when we've eaten on the deck. Kids have gotten bitten when playing in the yard, but I haven't gotten bitten so far while eating on the deck with the fan blowing. So, for that small area, fans seems to be working.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gear/

Here’s what the NYT says.  

Mosquito lawns services kill pollinators, according to the NWF. And they don’t work.  

https://blog.nwf.org/2020/09/what-you-need-to-know-before-spraying-for-mosquitoes/

Slight segue, but sill insect-related: is the wide white adhesive I see around tree trunks there to attract lantern flies?

Heynj said:

Slight segue, but sill insect-related: is the wide white adhesive I see around tree trunks there to attract lantern flies?

Ostensibly, yes, but they shouldn't be used if the glue side faces outwards - anything can get stuck on it from bees to birds. If you use one, best to add some mesh to go over it.

ridski said:

Heynj said:

Ostensibly, yes, but they shouldn't be used if the glue side faces outwards - anything can get stuck on it from bees to birds. If you use one, best to add some mesh to go over it.

How does mesh protect the good critters but not the lantern flies?  That doesn't make sense to me.

sprout said:

We've been using fans set to 'high' when we've eaten on the deck. Kids have gotten bitten when playing in the yard, but I haven't gotten bitten so far while eating on the deck with the fan blowing. So, for that small area, fans seems to be working.

We do this also when spending time on our deck.  I don't see how the chemical sprays can help much and they certainly do harm to the pollinators.

sac said:

ridski said:

Heynj said:

How does mesh protect the good critters but not the lantern flies?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Lanternflies are climbers, not fliers. They can fly, but they climb trees instead of flying up them. Good critters that fly will hit the mesh first, and not get stuck on the glue trap.

Any plans?  I've seen a few neighbors using Mosquito Shield.  Has anyone had any success with anything last season?  I also have another friend who used a mosquito service and said it didn't do too much good.

I’ve had the most success removing/draining sources of standing water and keeping lawn debris in check.  Works best if neighbors do the same.  I have seen others recommend attracting bats to the property since they feed on mosquitoes.  

Jaytee said:

I’m ordering one right now. Will update as soon as I use it. $24:99 nit bad if it works. Thanks for posting.

I was pleased with it. I got an extra order of cartridges also. $25 on Amazon.

jamie said:

Any plans?  I've seen a few neighbors using Mosquito Shield.  Has anyone had any success with anything last season?  I also have another friend who used a mosquito service and said it didn't do too much good.

If you work with one of mosquito services, ask very specific questions about what chemicals they are using.  As for the EPA registration information.  If anyone tells you what they are using only kills mosquitos, they are lying.  Any pesticide that is registered with the EPA is going to kill a lot more than mosquitos.

jamie said:

They don't work. They're dangerous to other insects and critters.  They kill bees/pollinators.  They harm fish.  You don't need to know anything else.  Avoid them.

From the World Wildlife Foundation:

https://blog.nwf.org/2020/09/what-you-need-to-know-before-spraying-for-mosquitoes/

So far this year, I've successfully used "flower pots of doom" in the backyard. Take a good-sized pot or even a 5-gallon bucket and fill it halfway with water. Then put in grass clippings that will eventually rot, which will attract mosquitos. You also put in a mosquito dunk and it keeps any eggs from hatching. Keep the bucket's water level about the same and put it out of the way somewhere when you want to be out in the yard. Put in another dunk when the old one has disappeared.

There hasn't been a bunch of adults hanging around to get me even though the dunks only kill the eggs. Females can live several weeks so I'm not sure why but I haven't had problems.

There was an interesting Wirecutter (NY Times) article last week about how bug zappers and citronella do not work. You probably need to be a subscriber to see it but it's worth searching for. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

There was an interesting Wirecutter (NY Times) article last week about how bug zappers and citronella do not work. You probably need to be a subscriber to see it but it's worth searching for. 

Here's that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/citronella-candles-mosquito-repellents-dont-work/

It's interesting about citronella.

Here's an earlier one where they reviewed:

If you want to keep mosquitoes away from your deck or patio without having to slather your skin in bug repellent, get the Thermacell E90 Rechargeable Mosquito Repellent.
After spending 65 hours researching a category full of marketing hype and debunked methods (including popular options like citronella candles), we found that the E90 stands out by actually being effective. Its rechargeable nine-hour battery lasts long enough to odorlessly keep a bedroom-size area mosquito-free for an entire evening—as long as there’s no breeze.

jamie said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Here's that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/citronella-candles-mosquito-repellents-dont-work/

It's interesting about citronella.

Here's an earlier one where they reviewed:

If you want to keep mosquitoes away from your deck or patio without having to slather your skin in bug repellent, get the Thermacell E90 Rechargeable Mosquito Repellent.
After spending 65 hours researching a category full of marketing hype and debunked methods (including popular options like citronella candles), we found that the E90 stands out by actually being effective. Its rechargeable nine-hour battery lasts long enough to odorlessly keep a bedroom-size area mosquito-free for an entire evening—as long as there’s no breeze.

As I live in the valley where it's pretty much windy all the time, I'll stick with bug spray.

ridski said:

As I live in the valley where it's pretty much windy all the time, I'll stick with bug spray.

Can you go with an outdoor fan to make it more windy to keep the mosquitoes away? I've been using a fan to blow on us while eating on the deck, and I'm not sure if it's working or if we don't have many mosquitoes here yet. 

Jaytee said:

Jaytee said:

I’m ordering one right now. Will update as soon as I use it. $24:99 nit bad if it works. Thanks for posting.

I was pleased with it. I got an extra order of cartridges also. $25 on Amazon.

I swear by these! I have been using them for at least 14 years. My late husband was a deer hunter and that's how I found them (he never used them hunting), but if I have to be outside in the summer, they are my go-to. Don't put them too close to your person so you don't get the fumes, but otherwise, a great product.

sprout said:

ridski said:

Can you go with an outdoor fan to make it more windy to keep the mosquitoes away? I've been using a fan to blow on us while eating on the deck, and I'm not sure if it's working or if we don't have many mosquitoes here yet. 

That's what I do and it usually works well.

sac said:

sprout said:

ridski said:

That's what I do and it usually works well.

Yes. Combined with bug spray, because sometimes you have to leave the deck.

We have natural mosquito control in Hong Kong.

Haven’t been bitten by a mosquito in years. 

If I ever figure out my ‘secret’ I’ll post it…

Scully said:

Haven’t been bitten by a mosquito in years. 

If I ever figure out my ‘secret’ I’ll post it…

Would be interesting to know what your blood sugar levels are. 
The mosquitoes are everywhere now. They’re actually living in my lawn.

Jaytee said:

Would be interesting to know what your blood sugar levels are. 
The mosquitoes are everywhere now. They’re actually living in my lawn.

Well I’m diabetic but tightly controlled - didn’t know there might be a connection 

Will ask at my checkup 

I volunteer in the Great Swamp Watershed Association property. Fridays, from 9 to 1. The property is a swamp, loaded with mosquitos. 

Based on NYT, I ordered Ranger Ready picardin Scent zero. Spray on a paper towel and wipe on face, neck and arms. two of the four of us applied it for two mornings. Not one bite. This includes walking through two swarms, two weeks ago. 

We have upper torso nets that we haven't worn since we used the RR. 

In our yard, we just use the battery powered fan.

Scully said:

Well I’m diabetic but tightly controlled - didn’t know there might be a connection 

Will ask at my checkup 

My mother was diabetic also, she would be watching us slap mosquitoes outside while trying to enjoy the summers. I never knew why they wouldn’t sting her, could be the insulin ? Maybe it is because we had too much sugar in our blood? Who knows.

Well I’m on Metformin not insulin, will ask at my next checkup (end of August) and report back

It’s not just mosquitoes btw but generally no bug bites

You bring up an interesting point 

Mosquitoes were bad in May - then DiVencenzo announced a spray effort and they seemed better for some time.  But they seem to be bad again.  I did get the Theracell rechargeable.  But I'm usually in my screened in tent and when I'm not - I'm usually walking around too much for it to be effective.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.