The Mosquito Thread

We've been using fans set to 'high' when we've eaten on the deck. Kids have gotten bitten when playing in the yard, but I haven't gotten bitten so far while eating on the deck with the fan blowing. So, for that small area, fans seems to be working.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gear/

Here’s what the NYT says.  

Mosquito lawns services kill pollinators, according to the NWF. And they don’t work.  

https://blog.nwf.org/2020/09/what-you-need-to-know-before-spraying-for-mosquitoes/

Slight segue, but sill insect-related: is the wide white adhesive I see around tree trunks there to attract lantern flies?

Heynj said:

Slight segue, but sill insect-related: is the wide white adhesive I see around tree trunks there to attract lantern flies?

Ostensibly, yes, but they shouldn't be used if the glue side faces outwards - anything can get stuck on it from bees to birds. If you use one, best to add some mesh to go over it.

ridski said:

Heynj said:

Ostensibly, yes, but they shouldn't be used if the glue side faces outwards - anything can get stuck on it from bees to birds. If you use one, best to add some mesh to go over it.

How does mesh protect the good critters but not the lantern flies?  That doesn't make sense to me.

sprout said:

We've been using fans set to 'high' when we've eaten on the deck. Kids have gotten bitten when playing in the yard, but I haven't gotten bitten so far while eating on the deck with the fan blowing. So, for that small area, fans seems to be working.

We do this also when spending time on our deck.  I don't see how the chemical sprays can help much and they certainly do harm to the pollinators.

sac said:

ridski said:

Heynj said:

How does mesh protect the good critters but not the lantern flies?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Lanternflies are climbers, not fliers. They can fly, but they climb trees instead of flying up them. Good critters that fly will hit the mesh first, and not get stuck on the glue trap.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.