MOL updates - please report issues here.

You found your Utilities folder inside your Safari app? Apps go in folders, not the other way round. And either way, I can’t imagine why it would affect your MOL sign in. There must be some kind of cookie setting that preventing you from being remembered when you come back here.

Not sure if this is the cause for some of the slowness lately - but got this from our server provider:

I apologize for the inconvenience as your server is operational however there are ongoing issues affecting network connectivity in our datacenters due to a DDoS attack.

What is a DDoS attack?  Is it something for us to worry about?

we don't need to worry about it - they're fairly common - but most don't have a significant impact - here's a basic explanation: 

DDoS stands for distributed denial-of-service attack. DDoS attacks occur when servers and networks are flooded with an excessive amount of traffic. The goal is to overwhelm the website or server with so many requests that the system becomes inoperable and ceases to function. 

Just in the past few hours my server has blocked close to 100 ip addresses - most were trying to get SSH access - which is like root control over the server.  Most of the blocks come from IP addresses in China nad Russia.

jamie said:

we don't need to worry about it - they're fairly common - but most don't have a significant impact - here's a basic explanation: 

DDoS stands for distributed denial-of-service attack. DDoS attacks occur when servers and networks are flooded with an excessive amount of traffic. The goal is to overwhelm the website or server with so many requests that the system becomes inoperable and ceases to function. 

Just in the past few hours my server has blocked close to 100 ip addresses - most were trying to get SSH access - which is like root control over the server.  Most of the blocks come from IP addresses in China nad Russia.

Jamie, my issues pale in comparison! Not to worry about it. LOL

Everytime I edit text, as in the two comments above and the Bring Out Your Dead thread, it vanishes.

ok, I was able to recreate - thanks for the heads up!

DaveSchmidt said:

Everytime I edit text, as in the two comments above and the Bring Out Your Dead thread, it vanishes.

It's tough being an editor...

Jamie, have just noticed that when I finish reading a thread and return to the Table of Contents screen (either General Discussions or Politics sub-forum) that thread now looks completely unread ie white. However my reading position seems to be held - first noticed in Rose Garden thread, then noticed in User Name to Real Name thread. 

(I’m still using Safari on my iPad Air 2)

ETA: issue didn’t occur in this thread. 

joanne said:

Jamie, have just noticed that when I finish reading a thread and return to the Table of Contents screen (either General Discussions or Politics sub-forum) that thread now looks completely unread ie white. However my reading position seems to be held - first noticed in Rose Garden thread, then noticed in User Name to Real Name thread. 

It's been like that for me for months (years?)  It doesn't seem to refresh when you return.

joanne said:

It's been like that for me for months (years?)  It doesn't seem to refresh when you return.

joanne said:

Sorry for the duplicate post. I had the same issue as metaphysician. Didn't post and then it posted twice (three times!).

sac said:

joanne said:

I haven't noticed it before, but it's happening on the "User Name to Real Name" thread. Chrome on HP laptop running Win 10.

KarenMarlowe said:

sac said:

joanne said:

I haven't noticed it before, but it's happening on the "User Name to Real Name" thread. Chrome on HP laptop running Win 10.

Now, here...

KarenMarlowe said:

Now, here...

This is in every forum, BTW. 

So, jamie, when you reply to something, after hitting the reply button, the screen goes white instead of taking us to our post, so we hit the back button, see the post hasn't gone through, and hit reply again. That's why we're getting multiple posts right now.

Reporting I'm seeing this too. Just posted in the Virtual Cafe > https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/the-garden-state-change-the-name-to thread. Saw it go blank; didn't reload but just waited, then closed the tab. Opened up MOL in a new tab and see I'm the latest post in that thread, though it doesn't have it color coded as a thread I've visited.

System:
  Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)
  OSX Catalina (10.15.7)
"Take me to this comment after submit." is checked.

Yes - the current bug is happening when you quote someone.

The unread bug it occurring I believe after I remove a few comments within a thread.  Hopefully we have a fix overnight.

jamie said:

The unread bug it occurring I believe after I remove a few comments within a thread.  Hopefully we have a fix overnight.

When you get a fix, can you delete the duplicate posts?  (Or is there a way that the poster can delete their own?)

sac said:

jamie said:

When you get a fix, can you delete the duplicate posts?  (Or is there a way that the poster can delete their own?)

Hahahaha!

Jamie, it’s happening even when I just read a thread. (Well, not the multiple replies, obviously)

Another thing I’ve noticed, especially in the Rose Garden, is that the last half-dozen posters aren’t acknowledged on the return. On my iPad mtierney’s Federalist post is the last indexed post. 

I'm unable to reply to anything if it quotes someone else.

I think it's working now!  

jamie said:

I think it's working now!  

Afghanistan thread is still showing up as white (unread) for me, and I'm still listed as the last commenter despite there being a comment after mine.

ridski said:

Afghanistan thread is still showing up as white (unread) for me, and I'm still listed as the last commenter despite there being a comment after mine.

How about now?  This type of bug should go away when a new comment is posted - after 8/2 at 11:30pm..

jamie said:

ridski said:

How about now?  This type of bug should go away when a new comment is posted - after 8/2 at 11:30pm..

Looks good now. Thanks!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.