Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Just watched Joey Lucchesi's lengthy post game interview. Check it out if you have a chance. Wow, what a super likable guy, I just wanna root for.

Train_of_Thought said:

Just watched Joey Lucchesi's lengthy post game interview. Check it out if you have a chance. Wow, what a super likable guy, I just wanna root for.

Incredible outing. Incredible story. I love baseball. 

Train_of_Thought said:

I liked the shout out for Alvarez.  Support for a struggling teammate.

A good place to share this and I know some of you knew Jerry. Fun Mets memory. Six years ago. 

This was the day Jerry Ryan and I got scolded by a security guard at Citi Field. We had climbed up on the picnic tables next to the bullpen to get a better view. Truthfully, the security guard, who was about our age, was more bemused than upset by these two old guys who were misbehaving.

Jerry was a great Mets fan and an even better friend. Ride easy, Big Dog. 

Say what you will about the ESPN announcers, but I thought Cone’s demo of the rosin and sticky finger issue was well done.

Vogelbach is (the late) Chris Farley.

Baty seems ready.

Alvarez does not, to me.

Why not keep going?

Nice drive by McNeil, but that was quite a hack job by the RFer.

Will take it!

I did not think they would come back.  It's good to see Baty getting comfortable, and I think Alvarez is slowly improving.  In a week or two they may be ready to add a third rookie if the trend keeps up.

jimmurphy said:

Vogelbach is (the late) Chris Farley.

Baty seems ready.

Alvarez does not, to me.

Alvarez wasn't supposed to be ready. He's 21 and ought to be in Triple-A. But, unless you tell me Jerry Grote is available, he's our best option. Just ride it out until Narvaez returns. The kid will learn a lot and figure things out. 

I'll take Alvarez. There's the potential he might hit something hard and his defense is improving. We already know what Nido is capable of. 

I would like to see Mauricio up and put McNeil in left. 

Soul_29 said:

Alvarez wasn't supposed to be ready. He's 21 and ought to be in Triple-A. But, unless you tell me Jerry Grote is available, he's our best option. Just ride it out until Narvaez returns. The kid will learn a lot and figure things out. 

I hear both of you and agree. Just seems that when Narvaez gets back, Alvarez should go back down for more seasoning. 

On this date in 2015 - “The best argument for having no DH is not the fact that Madison Bumgarner sometimes gets hits, it’s the fact that we can all see Bartolo Colon go to the plate and try to hit a baseball. THAT is why the DH should never exist in the National League.” - Pablo S. Torre

jimmurphy said:

Soul_29 said:

I hear both of you and agree. Just seems that when Narvaez gets back, Alvarez should go back down for more seasoning. 

I agree he needs to go back to Syracuse when Narvaez gets back. Unless he suddenly starts to hit consistently. But he looks pretty lost at the plate most of the time right now.

Train_of_Thought said:

On this date in 2015 - “The best argument for having no DH is not the fact that Madison Bumgarner sometimes gets hits, it’s the fact that we can all see Bartolo Colon go to the plate and try to hit a baseball. THAT is why the DH should never exist in the National League.” - Pablo S. Torre

when the Mets had deGrom, Wheeler, and Matz hitting I always figured that was an advantage over most teams. Last year deGrom would have almost certainly outhit the Mets' DHs.

jfinnegan said:

I'll take Alvarez. There's the potential he might hit something hard and his defense is improving. We already know what Nido is capable of. 

I would like to see Mauricio up and put McNeil in left. 

I agree, except for timing.  We have to assume that Mauricio is going to hit 100 for a month.  I'd like Baty a little more settled first.  If Alvarez stays up and hits that's a bonus, but I agree that Canha and Escobar are going to have to sit or be dumped

Train_of_Thought said:

Bit surprised that after 2 days off they didn't have a starting pitcher available for their biggest competition in the division. They just sacrificed the first game. 

Still surprised the Mets didn’t offer more at last year’s deadline for Robertson.

I'm more surprised they went into this season without addressing DH or leftfield. You can't be getting a combo of 3 homers from your DH and leftfielder. 

jfinnegan said:

I'm more surprised they went into this season without addressing DH or leftfield. You can't be getting a combo of 3 homers from your DH and leftfielder. 

I think there's a plan afoot.  Signing more guys would have blocked more young players.  Now that Baty and Alvarez are getting comfortable I'll bet we see Mauricio at 2nd and McNeil in left.  Give him a little time to get worked in and Vientos can start DHing.  Escobar, Canha, Vogelbach and Pham are end of contract cuts by the all star break.

I like that plan. I'm ok with Escobar and Canha on the roster. They can play some D and hit lefties a bit. The others don't add much value. I still won't be surprised if Daniel Murphy is the DH by June.

I hope not. I want young players.  Here's an idea to think about; which of those end of contract guys could be flipped to other teams at the deadline for even mediocre minor league pitchers?   That's what we need.  Lots of young pitching for the future

I'm getting a little sick of Buck managing for 5 games in the future. Try to win the game they're playing. 

Scherzer is officially in a slump.  Is it temporary or is age finally catching up with him?

I think it's age.  Pitching in the majors is fundamentally different now.  No one has enough.  Good young pitchers are given long term deals before free agency, so rich teams can't poach them as easily.  Teams are forced to pay guys for what they did, not what they can do.  I think the Mets need to hire more staff in the international department and somehow sign a ton of young pitchers from everywhere for the minors.  If just a few make it it's money well spent.  I also think the Mets made a huge mistake that the fans loved when they didn't re sign Stroman.  A durable above average pitcher is a rarity.  

Who is out there pitching well that A) the Mets could have gotten and B) people expected to pitch well.  Not many guys, I think.

That's a long answer to a short question, isn't it?

Agreed.  I always felt he was mishandled.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!