Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

That's about the best off day you can get.  Pick up a half game while resting.

DanDietrich said:

That's about the best off day you can get.  Pick up a half game while resting.

I guess Syndergaard is afraid to face the Braves also. 

Added to the IL: Keith Hernandez out for the season.

Was watching my son lose a bummer of a hockey game while checking in on the Mets losing a bummer of a game. No fun.  Maybe tomorrow will be better for both.

strider gone for the year with a ribcage.  congrats mets fans.  

Hate to see anyone hurt.  

I appreciate Buck's patience, but it's time to move on from Ruf. Maybe Eppler doesn't want to admit he made a horrible trade. 

Yesterday was a fun game to watch otherwise. I thought Pete had better numbers as a DH, but I looked it up and he's better at first. .  

Seven to play, still our division to win.

Just saw pitching matchups for Braves series: Bassitt vs. Fried, deGrom vs. Wright, Scherzer vs. Morton.

Buckle up!!

Buck didn't seem to grasp the importance of last night's game. The bullpen was all rested and they have another off day tomorrow. It was clear pretty quickly that Carrasco had nothing.

A few observations.  First, lots of pitchers have rough first innings and then adjust.  Carrasco didn't adjust at all.  I think he may have pitched himself out of a playoff start.  Second, why was Guillorme resting?  I'd rather have McNeil in right and him at second to get better hitters on the field.  Third, why did McCann start over Nido?  Plenty of rest days right now, and Nido is a better hitter and equal defensively.  Finally, the team is forgetting what got them here.  Deep at bats early in the game to get to a soft bullpen.  Their starter had a 9 pitch first inning.  I'm not giving up, and I'm enjoying this exciting finish, but last night really looked mismanaged.

jfinnegan said:

Buck didn't seem to grasp the importance of last night's game. The bullpen was all rested and they have another off day tomorrow. It was clear pretty quickly that Carrasco had nothing.

we were at the game last night, and Carrasco wasn't getting swings and misses. But in the first inning there were no hard hit balls, and only a few in the innings afterward.

It was just one of those nights. A couple of bloops, a hit batter and a passed ball and next thing you know, down 2-0.  And that HR was about as short a fly ball as you can hit out of Citi. 

DanDietrich said:

A few observations.  First, lots of pitchers have rough first innings and then adjust.  Carrasco didn't adjust at all.  I think he may have pitched himself out of a playoff start.  Second, why was Guillorme resting?  I'd rather have McNeil in right and him at second to get better hitters on the field.  Third, why did McCann start over Nido?  Plenty of rest days right now, and Nido is a better hitter and equal defensively.  Finally, the team is forgetting what got them here.  Deep at bats early in the game to get to a soft bullpen.  Their starter had a 9 pitch first inning.  I'm not giving up, and I'm enjoying this exciting finish, but last night really looked mismanaged.

they didn't have deep ABs because Lopez was throwing first pitch strikes. It's hard to go deep in a count when you're down 0-1 and 0-2 every batter.

Earlier in the year they fouled off first pitch strikes.

7 games left, 3 of those against the Braves....... all tied up.

Any predictions?

ml1 said:

we were at the game last night, and Carrasco wasn't getting swings and misses. But in the first inning there were no hard hit balls, and only a few in the innings afterward.

It was just one of those nights. A couple of bloops, a hit batter and a passed ball and next thing you know, down 2-0.  And that HR was about as short a fly ball as you can hit out of Citi. 

He should have been pulled after the line drive to De La Cruz. He should not have been left in to face the lefty. As questionable as his decisions were I don't know why Mattingly would have Lopez face Alonso when automatic DP Vogelbach was due up next. 

Carrasco isn't going to get a playoff start and I'm not sure if he'll even get a roster spot.

DanDietrich said:

There is no reason to have an under .200 hitting catcher play if he's going to let balls go between his legs. That should have been a passed ball. I feel like McCann and Ruf get to play since Sandy made those moves. If either of those guys were picked up by BVW they would be off the team by now. Ruf is worse than Cano. 

DanDietrich said:

I don't know that for a fact.  But if it's true I'm not sure how 0-1 from a foul leads to a longer AB than 0-1 from a take. 

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

He should have been pulled after the line drive to De La Cruz. He should not have been left in to face the lefty. As questionable as his decisions were I don't know why Mattingly would have Lopez face Alonso when automatic DP Vogelbach was due up next. 

Carrasco isn't going to get a playoff start and I'm not sure if he'll even get a roster spot.

At the time I didn't think leaving Carrasco in was a bad decision, so I'm not going to second guess it now. Maybe it looked worse on TV, but in the ballpark it didn't look like he was getting lit up. The first inning looked like bad luck. Those hits had exit velos in the 60s and 70s.

yahooyahoo said:

7 games left, 3 of those against the Braves....... all tied up.

Any predictions?

Braves win division, Mets lose in wildcard round to Padres.  

ml1 said:

DanDietrich said:

I don't know that for a fact.  But if it's true I'm not sure how 0-1 from a foul leads to a longer AB than 0-1 from a take. 

You are correct.  It is just as irrelevant as your statement that they can't have a 10 pitch at bat because pitchers are throwing strikes.

DanDietrich said:

You are correct.  It is just as irrelevant as your statement that they can't have a 10 pitch at bat because pitchers are throwing strikes.

I said it's hard, not that they can't. And some games they still do work long counts. But pitchers in the league have adjusted to the Mets' hitters' patience. And I'm not the only one to notice that or say it. Watch how they pitch Nimmo, Canha, and Vogelbach. Last night Lopez threw at least a half dozen first pitch four-seamers right down the middle that a hitter didn't swing at.

It's easy for fans to say hitters should keep doing what they've been doing all year long. But every team has tons of video on every player and team's tendencies. They know everything you and I know, times ten. And by this point in the season they can make it harder for players to do what they've been doing the past five months.

For the Mets to go back to working long ABs, the answer is probably not to preach being even more patient. It's probably for them to attack a few fat first pitches to keep pitchers honest.

They really need Marte back. I'm hoping he comes back and they can put Guillorme at 3rd and Escobar at DH. I just looked at JD's stats. I never understood that trade.

I would have been okay with Davis for Ruf, only because Davis is a good guy who needed a fresh start.  I don't understand adding three pitchers to the deal, though .

DanDietrich said:

I would have been okay with Davis for Ruf, only because Davis is a good guy who needed a fresh start.  I don't understand adding three pitchers to the deal, though .

Just my opinion, but I suspect they gave up on the pitchers. 

ml1 said:

Just my opinion, but I suspect they gave up on the pitchers. 

Then their scouting is horrible. Szapucki has pitched in 8 games with a 2.53 ERA. And he's a lefty. They have one good lefty. I hope they didn't go based on his one major league appearance with the Mets when they decided to unload him. 

jfinnegan said:

Then their scouting is horrible. Szapucki has pitched in 8 games with a 2.53 ERA. And he's a lefty. They have one good lefty. I hope they didn't go based on his one major league appearance with the Mets when they decided to unload him. 

when management changes, people get sent packing. It happens in every business. As a person who's been on the short end in those circumstances I sympathize. 

DanDietrich said:

BTW, I want to apologize. We've had a few exchanges this season when I've been arrogant and jerky. I meant no offense. I'm sorry. 

LGM!!

grin

ml1 said:

DanDietrich said:

BTW, I want to apologize. We've had a few exchanges this season when I've been arrogant and jerky. I meant no offense. I'm sorry. 

LGM!!

grin

I try to remember it's just baseball and fail as well.  I enjoy this thread because we are all on the same overall page (except that one putz who just complains). 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.