Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

wendy said:

I really, really like him. And I understand his teammates feel the same. Based on size and demeanor, he reminds me of Bartolo Colon. Oh and I too am spending more time watching as opposed to listening. And I can't get enough Buck. What a direct cool guy who I am sure is very responsible for the Mets this year working the count more than they ever did. LGM!

Me too.  He always seems to be yucking it up with different players in the dugout, and everyone seems to be loose and laughing when they are talking with him.  At the plate he looks like a guy who has seen far too many plates recently, and yet he goes about his business professionally, picking out a good pitch, working the counts.  I was not a fan of them acquiring him, so it goes to show how little I know.  Someone realized that he would be a great piece to fit into this team.

As for Buck, I am eating my words on him as well.  I was decidedly down on hiring him--too old school, would not relate to the style of the younger players, blah, blah, blah.  Was I ever wrong.  He is doing a masterful job of keeping folks dialed in on every at bat and yet loose and comfortable at the same time.  He has done a good job of working with a sometimes suspect bullpen and spreading the work around judiciously.  Hey, he even has had some good luck or ESP or something because most of the time when he seems to play a hunch it works out and we see he has put the right guy in the right spot at the right time even when the odds would be against it.

Thanks for the response mfpark. I didn't follow stuff enough to be for or against the above until it was all a done deal.

As to my feelings about Buck, I agree. I am not so naïve to think a manager is statistically responsible for too many wins/losses but it's the gestalt and the fact that these guys want to play for him for all the reasons you mentioned above. That intangible counts even in this age of metrics. 

Walker is going to likely need to be very good tonight. With Escobar and Nido out, there are two guys in the lineup who are nearly automatic outs.

But the rumor has it that we'll see Baty make his debut tomorrow at 3B.  

I'm fine with the first seven hitters tonight.  I don't know much about eight or nine.  I ve never seen them play.

DanDietrich said:

I'm fine with the first seven hitters tonight.  I don't know much about eight or nine.  I ve never seen them play.

no one has. They're both below the Mendoza line. 

The last season RJ Alvarez pitched in the big leagues, the Mets were headed to the World Series. 

Give Alvarez credit though. He didn't let the game get totally out of hand. 

ml1 said:

With more than a little help from Perez and McNeil!  That wild pitch that wound up with Acuna getting tagged at 2nd was, well, wild.  Perez got the lucky bounce and threw a BB, and McNeil made a dandy grab and tag.  And then McNeil chasing down that pop up in right field.  It would have been a very different outcome had Acuna been on second and that pop fly dropped in for a single.  As it was the game was pretty dismal in general. 

mfpark said:

ml1 said:

With more than a little help from Perez and McNeil!  That wild pitch that wound up with Acuna getting tagged at 2nd was, well, wild.  Perez got the lucky bounce and threw a BB, and McNeil made a dandy grab and tag.  And then McNeil chasing down that pop up in right field.  It would have been a very different outcome had Acuna been on second and that pop fly dropped in for a single.  As it was the game was pretty dismal in general. 

I'd be more concerned if we didn't have our aces going out the next two nights. If the Mets win only one game in this series, it won't be a disaster. That would leave them up 4 games in the loss column, with another two games run off the schedule. The team has to weather the next two weeks when they play the Phils, Yanks and Dodgers. Then the rosters expand to 28, Megill should be off the IL, and they will have plenty of fresh arms to pitch a bullpen game every now and then if necessary. After September 1 until they play the Braves again in the 2nd-to-last series of the season, they only play 3 games against a winning team (Milwaukee). 

Mets have scored 1 run or less in 4 of their last 5 games. The bats need to wake up.  We can't depend on Scherzer and DeGrom to do all the work in every start.

yahooyahoo said:

Mets have scored 1 run or less in 4 of their last 5 games. The bats need to wake up.  We can't depend on Scherzer and DeGrom to do all the work in every start.

They've faced 5 really good starters in a row. 

Baty getting the call up with both Escobar and Guillorme hurting.

ml1 said:

True, but that's the class of pitching they'll see in the postseason.

It is a bit worrisome.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

True, but that's the class of pitching they'll see in the postseason.

It is a bit worrisome.

they won 2 of the first 3. And they lost their own starters to injury early in the last 2. I'm not concerned about the lack of runs in the past few games. Are the Phillies worried they only scored 1 earned run in an entire series agains the Mets?

ml1 said:

they thanked him by DFA ing him.  Ouch.

Baty. How can you not be romantic about baseball?

ml1 said:

they won 2 of the first 3. And they lost their own starters to injury early in the last 2. I'm not concerned about the lack of runs in the past few games. Are the Phillies worried they only scored 1 earned run in an entire series agains the Mets?

If the Phillies aren’t, they should be, but I’ll let the previous point stand.

Enjoying tonight!

I'm glad that game is over. 

Train_of_Thought said:

Baty. How can you not be romantic about baseball?

Word.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

If the Phillies aren’t, they should be, but I’ll let the previous point stand.

Enjoying tonight!

I'll let my previous point stand too grin

Well, the Reddit Mets fans have already tucked Baty neatly into the hall of fame.  I mean, how could he miss?

DanDietrich said:

Well, the Reddit Mets fans have already tucked Baty neatly into the hall of fame.  I mean, how could he miss?

ah yes, I still fondly recall Benny Ayala's HOF induction speech. 

Well, good night for deGrom.  Let's see if we can win.

The Mets should be winning this game.  Too many RISP with no or 1 out who couldn't score.

Well, that was a crapulous series. Onward. 

On a related note, I have had urinary tract infections I prefer to the Braves. 

That was a frustrating game. Give Nimmo a day off. He looked like he was playing with a brick in his backpocket all game.

Tought series for the Mets.  I think it's the first series they have lost all season to an NL East opponent.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!