Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Peterson has nothing tonight.  These guys need to do some more hitting.  

DanDietrich said:

Peterson has nothing tonight.  These guys need to do some more hitting.  

Looks like they read your post around 10:15 or so. 

Another series win. Marlins next. Is it too much to ask for a sweep?

One win at a time.  The Braves have to lose sometimes.  They aren't the Yankees, after all.

I know I know. One win at a time. 

I do think it’s odd that the Mets haven’t had any kind of significant win streak and here they are in first, 20 games over .500. They’re certainly capable of winning any game they play (except against Houston). But I’ll take the series wins!

mrincredible said:

I know I know. One win at a time. 

I do think it’s odd that the Mets haven’t had any kind of significant win streak and here they are in first, 20 games over .500. They’re certainly capable of winning any game they play (except against Houston). But I’ll take the series wins!

I think they're also capable of beating Houston as long as Carrasco isn't the starter. Holy cow they had his number. Almost like he was tipping against them.

I'm so tired of the Mets Give Me Agita fanbase. Why are we incapable of just enjoying the ride? Why can't we see that this ain't the Wilpons' Mets? Why? I get at least a couple of texts a day from friends that need to be talked off the ledge and it's maddening. We're 20 games over .5000 without deGrom and without Scherzer for seven weeks. 

Rant over. 

Soul_29 said:

I'm so tired of the Mets Give Me Agita fanbase. Why are we incapable of just enjoying the ride? Why can't we see that this ain't the Wilpons' Mets? Why? I get at least a couple of texts a day from friends that need to be talked off the ledge and it's maddening. We're 20 games over .5000 without deGrom and without Scherzer for seven weeks. 

Rant over. 

just getting Scherzer back is a big deal. If his first start back is an indication of what he's going to bring, he'll take some pressure off the 'pen, and take some pressure off the hitters.

anything that deGrom adds will be a bonus.

Soul_29 said:

Rant over. 

We’ve all been on this ride so many times though. Give us a little compassion here. A little empathy. How many times have we gotten our hopes up and then *poof* the bats go silent and *poof* they go on a losing skid against lousy teams. I can’t take it again, man!!

Losing 1-0 to the Reds activated my DMSD (Disappointing Mets Season Disorder) and then last night was getting close to putting it into overdrive. 

I’m super excited the Mets are 20 games over .500 and leading the division. A division race would be exciting, but my adrenal glands wouldn’t mind if they just ran away with the NL East. 

Glad Matt Reynolds found a home.  My recollection is, he would come to spring training, hit really well, but never make the team.

Good start to a 4 game set.

I drives me a bit crazy when they say a guy could be breaking out of his slump if he has a couple of hits in one game. How about he gets a hit in 3 or 4 games first. 

Nice game to watch.  That catch by Nimmo was a dandy, even got a hat-tip from the batter.  Williams was locating well all night.  Davis had the game of a lifetime, which may help increase his trade visibility.

Crazy game tonight at the end.  I really thought that the Mets had lost it.  Wrong again.

I wonder what it will cost to keep Diaz?  He's back to elite form.  

Good win tonight. 

But watching SNY Sports Night now and wondering if John Jastremski is the worst sports commentator in history. I don't get too annoyed by any broadcaster. But JJ gets under my skin. Loud, stupid, and clownish. He adds absolutely nothing of value with his "insights." When he comes on, I cringe. 

I want to start a new game called Three Things. 

After every Mets win, post three things we should still be upset about. 

I'll go first. 

1. Scherzer gave up a run. He's done. It's a terrible signing. 

2. Cano was 3-3. It was stupid to release him and the GM should be fired. 

3. The exit velocity on Guillorme's home run wasn't great. Meh. 

Scherzer has looked awesome since returning.

Good win.  

Soull, please, I beg of you, dont do that.  This is the only reasonably sane Mets thread on the entire internet.  They aren't perfect, but there is plenty to be happy about.  

Cano was 2 for 3 (not 3 for 3), so the GM should only be suspended for a month.

Watching Scherzer work is a thing of rare beauty.  Not to mention that he is an awesome leader who shows everyone what it takes to get to the World Series.  Most of the Mets have not been in a pennant race before.  Scherzer lives for them.

Agreed.  He clearly decided that he was going to win every pitch.  That was playoff energy on the mound.

Such a shame to waste the effort by Peterson.  The Mets have 5 non hitters in the lineup tonight.

I know Dom, Kankowski, Escobar and Mazeika. Who's the 5th? Why are they waiting on Alvarez and Vientos? They can't possibly be worse than the catchers and DHs they're using. 

Last night's 5th non hitter was Alonso.  He's great, but if he doesn't hit they lose.  Because he doesn't have enough help.

I hate the idea of promoting Alvarez.  I want the Mets to be consistent winners for twenty years.  To do that, there has to be talent in the system.  Rushing guys up before they are ready to help right now is a short term bandaid with a long term cost.  They need to trade Smith and Davis somewhere where they can play, even for very little return.  Then find a solid DH.  Escobar has a two year deal and plays good defense.  Hopefully he will get better.  He can't really get worse.  But I don't see any quick fix with the catchers.  The starters like these guys, and that matters.

Contreras from the Cubs seems like the perfect fit. Put him at catcher 4 games and DH the others. When McNeil and Marte are back I think Guillorme and Escobar platoon. Guillorme is one of the couple of guys in the lineup consistently putting together good at bats.

P.S. I wouldn't throw anything close to the plate at the moment with the guys Alonso has protecting him. Maybe move Lindor to 5th and McNeil to 3rd. Lindor is only hitting .240 with Alonso protecting him. 

I'm not sure that Guillorme has the arm for third.  Contreras, a good available catcher, will be very expensive.  They won't take our leftover parts.  And he will be a rental.  McCann has two years left on his deal and has minimal trade value.

Nice series win.  Maybe the long hot streak Atlanta was on really was due to the fact that they hadn't been playing any good teams. Mets pitchers made their hitters look pretty ordinary across three games.

I think the secret is that these are two very good but not perfect teams.  Almost identical numbers of runs scored and given up despite their different approaches.

Now we need to beat Chicago tomorrow night 

So 10 Royals can't go to Toronto because they are unvaccinated.  They lose pay and service time, but the team "respects that it's their choice". One of the players, Whit Merrifield, said that it was his choice after much thought, etc, to remain unvaccinated, but if they were a playoff team he would have gotten the vaccine and gone to Canada.  So it's not some deep seated anti vax thing then, just that this team isn't worth it to him

DanDietrich said:

So 10 Royals can't go to Toronto because they are unvaccinated.  They lose pay and service time, but the team "respects that it's their choice". One of the players, Whit Merrifield, said that it was his choice after much thought, etc, to remain unvaccinated, but if they were a playoff team he would have gotten the vaccine and gone to Canada.  So it's not some deep seated anti vax thing then, just that this team isn't worth it to him

it's really idiotic, given how many people have willingly submitted to other vaccine requirements to go to school, or travel, or go to work. JT Realmuto didn't go to Toronto with the Phillies this week because he's unvaxxed. I looked up where he's from -- Oklahoma, a state that has a whole slew of vaccine requirements he had to fulfill to go to school. So his parents and he were ok with him putting an MMR vaccine in his arm, but he's not ok with a vaccine that's been given safely to more than a billion people over the past year.

DanDietrich said:

I think the secret is that these are two very good but not perfect teams.  Almost identical numbers of runs scored and given up despite their different approaches.

Now we need to beat Chicago tomorrow night 

I took a look at the schedule before the next matchup with the Braves. It’s pretty evenly matched between the two teams in terms of weaker and stronger opponents. The slight edge I might give the Mets is they have two games against the Yanks while the Braves get three against the Angels. 

It’s been a great season so far and I want it to continue. I hope the Mets can open up a slightly bigger lead before they meet the Braves again. Like I said before a tight division race is fun but I’m not sure my frail constitution can take it. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!