Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Too early to tell about Alonso.  They need another x ray after the swelling goes down.

DanDietrich said:

Too early to tell about Alonso.  They need another x ray after the swelling goes down.

Apparently it's just swollen and Marte is day to day. 

Kids sad about the kitten sacrifice, but they'll understand in time.

Moammar said:

DanDietrich said:

Apparently it's just swollen and Marte is day to day. 

Kids sad about the kitten sacrifice, but they'll understand in time.

"We are all day to day."

Nice to see Megill back last night.  Let's get them tonight!

Not sure how many of you knew Gerry Auriemma, a longtime baseball  coach of many teams and his son Chris in the South Orange Rec and Summer baseball programs. He passed a few months ago after a long battle with cancer. Coached with him many summers.

Anyway, Joey Cora just sent Marte around third to score on a play that if the throw was good, Marte’d been a dead duck. Marte scored.

Gerry sent everybody. Many were thrown out. But, can’t score if you don’t try. Good lesson.

ml1 said:

Good to see the Mets banking wins early against the NL East. The month of June is going to be brutal, so it's nice to have a little cushion. I'm concerned that without deGrom and Scherzer the west coast road trip has potential to be a disaster.

not a disaster grin

jimmurphy said:

Not sure how many of you knew Gerry Auriemma, a longtime baseball  coach of many teams and his son Chris in the South Orange Rec and Summer baseball programs. He passed a few months ago after a long battle with cancer. Coached with him many summers.

Anyway, Joey Cora just sent Marte around third to score on a play that if the throw was good, Marte’d been a dead duck. Marte scored.

Gerry sent everybody. Many were thrown out. But, can’t score if you don’t try. Good lesson.

This brought about a warm smile to my face. Thanks Jim. ❤

Can’t complain about the West Coast trip. It was as good an outcome as you could reasonably expect. 

The next couple of weeks concern me based on my quick glance at the Mets and Braves schedules. It seems like the Mets definitely have the tougher schedule. I don’t want them to rush Scherzer and deGrom back but I think they’re going to need them the back half of the year. If the offense keeps doing what they’re doing, their two aces just need to come back and have normal stats for the rest of the season. 

mrincredible said:

Can’t complain about the West Coast trip. It was as good an outcome as you could reasonably expect. 

The next couple of weeks concern me based on my quick glance at the Mets and Braves schedules. It seems like the Mets definitely have the tougher schedule. I don’t want them to rush Scherzer and deGrom back but I think they’re going to need them the back half of the year. If the offense keeps doing what they’re doing, their two aces just need to come back and have normal stats for the rest of the season. 

there are 4 games against Houston. And Milwaukee and Miami have really good pitching, but neither of them have been scoring a lot of runs. So the next two weeks might be tough, but probably not as bad as the last two, especially with eight of the next thirteen games at home.  After that, the schedule gets a lot easier. And even though Atlanta has what should be an easy week with the Nats and Cubs, next week they have seven agains SF and LA.

It's probably going to come down to the seventeen games left between the Mets and Atlanta (especially that five games in four days series at Citi in August).

For some reason I get lots of FB posts from Mets groups pushed at me.  It's stunning how idiotic they are.  The sky is falling, trade for Nelson Cruz(!), Bring up Alvarez and make him a DH.  It's just nuts.  The team is pretty good.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  I really like that they don't rely on the long ball.  And they have scored the most runs in baseball.  ( Just barely more than the yanks with two more games played, but still...)

DanDietrich said:

For some reason I get lots of FB posts from Mets groups pushed at me.  It's stunning how idiotic they are.  The sky is falling, trade for Nelson Cruz(!), Bring up Alvarez and make him a DH.  It's just nuts.  The team is pretty good.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  I really like that they don't rely on the long ball.  And they have scored the most runs in baseball.  ( Just barely more than the yanks with two more games played, but still...)

Yeah.  I always wonder whether the internet made sports fans crazy or just reveals that they are.

bub said:

DanDietrich said:

Yeah.  I always wonder whether the internet made sports fans crazy or just reveals that they are.

Leave Alvarez where he be. It seems as if he's developing ahead of schedule. He's a next-year thing. We're getting Jake and Max back sooner rather than later. Look, we don't have to do anything. It's a very good team. Atlanta's been beating up on the weaker teams the last couple of weeks. We're gonna be fine. 

bub said:

Mets have always had a substantial segment of knucklehead fans. 

ml1 said:

bub said:

Agreed. But the internet magnifies it. Used to be you could hear from those knuckleheads on a train or in a bar but now those same fans have a megaphone. I have learned to not listen and instead come here to sanity and intelligence. grin

ml1 said:

bub said:

ml1: A "friend of ours" used to try to get me to join the Mets Give Me Agita page. I would have not part of it. Full of knuckleheads. 

Mets help build character (that is needed to overcome the agita). grin

wendy said:

Agreed. But the internet magnifies it. Used to be you could hear from those knuckleheads on a train or in a bar but now those same fans have a megaphone. I have learned to not listen and instead come here to sanity and intelligence.
grin

They have been all over the FAN for 35 years. 

ml1 said:

wendy said:

Agreed. But the internet magnifies it. Used to be you could hear from those knuckleheads on a train or in a bar but now those same fans have a megaphone. I have learned to not listen and instead come here to sanity and intelligence.
grin

They have been all over the FAN for 35 years. 

Agreed. The only sane voice there was this chick wendy from Maplewood. 

Gutsy performance by Bassitt. He looked sick (ill) to me.

I find myself wanting a Murph happy recap or “Keith’s Korner” post-game. (Surprised they haven’t picked up on the Kiner-Keith alliteration) Could be a fun schtick!

Bet it would take more than a 6-pack of Schlitz to secure guests… 

Fun fact. Braves haven't played a team with a winning record since Milwaukee on May 18. And they don't play another until SF on June 20. Credit for going out and beating the bad teams. But the schedule gets tougher for them and easier for the Mets after the next week or so. 

I hope Escobar's ok. And Megill. That didn't look good.

I do hope they beat up the Marlins and at least split the four games with the Astros. 

It’s ironic that the team which has always been successful with solid pitching is actually having an excellent offensive year and their pitchers keep getting hurt. 

Okay, it's time for GKR to stop with the baseball cards and call the game.  Three runs and a pitching change.  Showalter looked pissed in the dugout and the guys in the booth were not paying attention.

Three nice wins in a row.  Two losses for the Braves.  And the Phillies still have Familia.  Looking good.

Happy for the win, but I'm worried about McNeil.  

Sounding pretty positive on McNeil.

So odd that many of the lefty hitters don’t hit RHers. 3 lefties sitting.

And also many of the righty hitters have trouble hitting LHers.

With all of the ups and downs, the Mets, Braves, and Phillies are all 6-4 over the last 10.  It's pretty funny reading fan trade proposals.  All of our overpaid non performing guys bundled together for the ace of someone else's staff.  But seriously, how about how badly Juan Soto is playing?  I feel for him.  He does have Bell with him, so there is some protection in the lineup.  Can he recover his swing?

Soto would look very nice in a Met uniform.   

As long as that 220 isn't permanent.

Bummer losing today.  This team really needs McNeil.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.