Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

They just added a reliever off of waivers from Arizona, I think.  I'll bet he goes.  Cano is the question mark.  But no, Dom is not a second baseman.  Not at all.  

I would argue that Cano is no longer a second baseman either. I was joking regarding Dom at 2nd. I would like to see him in the lineup more regularly though. I would even prefer Guillorme over Cano. 

Guillorme is a quality player.  Not a superstar, but I love his long at bats and his defense is good 

DanDietrich said:

Guillorme is a quality player.  Not a superstar, but I love his long at bats and his defense is good 

Agreed. Could be a Justin Turner in the rough. Hard to know what guys could do with more at-bats.

Loved the Cahna discussion comments from Gary.

Edited to add, happy for him, but Wilmer is another who got away. I feel like Dom could be the same.

Would love to hear others’ thoughts on the Giants’ approach to lineups and the platoon. 

There are a lot of Mets on the bubble this week.

Reid-Foley almost certainly will be DFA'd (he is out of options).  He has gotten almost no time on the mound, and is not needed given the other right handed arms ahead of him.

It would be controversial, but given that Jankowski has been hitting well they might cut Smith or Davis.  When you think about it, neither really has a great place other than DH these days.  Smith can spell Alonso at first, so perhaps it would be Davis who gets cut.  Neither is a very good option in left field.  The Mets tried to trade both in the off-season but did not get a good offer, I guess.

But they could also DFA Jankowski simply because he is the new guy on the team.  Baseball can be like that.  He has no options, so they either would lose him or have to re-sign him.

Guillorme has the benefit of being able to play an acceptable shortstop to back up Lindor.

Joeley Rodriguez is a lefty reliever, which is why they traded for him.  But he has not been effective.  Can the brass admit it was a bad trade and move on?

Chasen Shreve is also a lefty and might be better to hold onto than Rodriguez.  He has done okay in limited action this year.

Drew Smith has been sharp and is young, but he also has the misfortune of having options available so he can be sent down at no risk.  PS, Seth Lugo also has options, but he ain't a-goin' nowhere, as the song goes.

For my money (which is certainly not Cohen's money) they should part ways with Cano now.   Show that they are thinking like a modern-style team and not the old style of taking on an aging superstar for name value and then being stuck with failing production and a huge salary.  But my best guess is that this is not going to happen, and instead they will DFA Reid-Foley and send Drew Smith down to AAA.

mfpark said:

There are a lot of Mets on the bubble this week.

Reid-Foley almost certainly will be DFA'd (he is out of options).  He has gotten almost no time on the mound, and is not needed given the other right handed arms ahead of him.

It would be controversial, but given that Jankowski has been hitting well they might cut Smith or Davis.  When you think about it, neither really has a great place other than DH these days.  Smith can spell Alonso at first, so perhaps it would be Davis who gets cut.  Neither is a very good option in left field.  The Mets tried to trade both in the off-season but did not get a good offer, I guess.

But they could also DFA Jankowski simply because he is the new guy on the team.  Baseball can be like that.  He has no options, so they either would lose him or have to re-sign him.

Guillorme has the benefit of being able to play an acceptable shortstop to back up Lindor.

Joeley Rodriguez is a lefty reliever, which is why they traded for him.  But he has not been effective.  Can the brass admit it was a bad trade and move on?

Chasen Shreve is also a lefty and might be better to hold onto than Rodriguez.  He has done okay in limited action this year.

Drew Smith has been sharp and is young, but he also has the misfortune of having options available so he can be sent down at no risk.  PS, Seth Lugo also has options, but he ain't a-goin' nowhere, as the song goes.

For my money (which is certainly not Cohen's money) they should part ways with Cano now.   Show that they are thinking like a modern-style team and not the old style of taking on an aging superstar for name value and then being stuck with failing production and a huge salary.  But my best guess is that this is not going to happen, and instead they will DFA Reid-Foley and send Drew Smith down to AAA.

Drew Smith is not going down and Rodriguez has been much better this week.  

My hope is Reid-Foley and Cano.

Train_of_Thought said:

Hahaha!

https://twitter.com/EvanRobertsWFAN/status/1519439359908491269?t=fnVI4-dv5nMFza_oaEbWvw&s=19

Loved that! 

Maybe I’m a curmudgeon but I find myself turning to ESPN radio more and more. So little sports talk with Carton in the afternoons and not much more in the morning, although I like Boomer’s football stuff and Gio’s impressions.

Evan Roberts is great on his own, minus all the Nets talk. 

Can't stand either one of them.

sbenois said:

Can't stand either one of them.

Evan too? Guilt by association?

All sports radio has turned into nothing but sports betting shilling. Sunday morning is the only stuff I listen to anymore.  They are least discuss sports issues.

Push Steve Somers out for those hacks. I don't get it. Carton brings ratings though. 

sbenois said:

Evan too.   

To each his own.  

I found that when he was good with Joe B. and I enjoy his solo Saturday shows. 

sbenois said:

A NO HITTER!

just got back. Lot of fun at Citi tonight grin 

I was there. Insanity. 

Okay, who’s your Mets player of the month? Megill went 4-0 for April. Jeff McNeil is hitting .344. Alonso is knocking in runs. 

I feel like Lindor has had a bigger impact this spring than last year. He’s getting on base and making things happen. He’s also tied for club lead in HR right now. 

I want to say McNeil/Lindor.  They seem to have figured out how to support each other, and cheer for each other.  I also feel like the games that either or both of them miss are harder games for the team.  I'm probably wrong about that, really.

I'll also buy a beer for whoever convinced McNeil to abandon the uppercut swing that gave him warning track power.

I can't name one player.  Megill and Scherzer have been great.  McNeil, Lindor, and Escobar have been hitting, Alonso hitting HRs, Nimmo getting on base.  The bullpen has been pretty tight, especially Smith.

It's been a good month for most of the team.

sbenois said:

McNeil 

Hard to argue. 

Let’s see what happens today!

No fun to lose, but Walker pitched well.  I'm happy with that.

and Familia came in last night and Familiaed.  

Geez, it isn't easy for Scherzer tonight.

DanDietrich said:

Geez, it isn't easy for Scherzer tonight.

it was lights out aside from 3 pitches. 

I think any left fielder other than Schwarber may have been able to grab that hit by McNeil.   Good night for the Mets.

DanDietrich said:

I think any left fielder other than Schwarber may have been able to grab that hit by McNeil.   Good night for the Mets.

Why is Schwarber playing outfield over Harper?

Mets win.

Take series with the Phillies and extend their streak to seven series wins in a row. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.