Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

Guillorme looks ten years younger. 

does he think he's going to be traded to the Yanks?

Three-game suspension. Hit the showers, ml1. 

I'd like to appeal.  That comment is a slam on the Yankees' ludicrous no-beards policy.

ml1 said:

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

I'd like to appeal.  That comment is a slam on the Yankees' ludicrous no-beards policy.

I think it's only fair that Train of Thought adjudicates this matter. 

Nice win!  They lost these games last year.

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

Soul_29 said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

I think it's only fair that Train of Thought adjudicates this matter. 

There is long standing precedent that what you meant carries little weight. After review, the call stands.

Train_of_Thought said:

There is long standing precedent that what you meant carries little weight. After review, the call stands.

Swept the doubleheader. Nice. 

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Doing time has hardened me.

For one night at least the Mets are the best team in baseball.

Took the afternoon off and went to the game solo today. Carrasco shoved, as the kids say! 

3 outta 4 ain’t bad!

I may make these weekday getaway games a habit. Game day decision, tix from the box office, so no fees or worries about weather. 

Next one is Star Wars day (5/4).

If anyone is inclined to join, let me know.

Most of the players with the massive beards look like crazed rednecks.  I thought Guillorme looked distinguished.  Like a Civil War general.  Now he's just kind of a pudge face.

bub said:

Most of the players with the massive beards look like crazed rednecks.  I thought Guillorme looked distinguished.  Like a Civil War general.  Now he's just kind of a pudge face.

At first I thought it was a good call to make him appear younger, but I think the opposite is true - now he looks pudgy and out-of-shape. 

Nice hit-and-run execution today, though. We’re lucky to have him. Nice using Lindor in the DH spot and playing Guillorme at Short today - totally OK with that on occasion.

I agree he looks better with the beard, but if he thinks shaving is going to get him a few hits I'm all for it. 

I was thinking the Mets 11-4 record is due a little bit to luck, with two extra inning victories coming by the slimmest of margins on overturned calls.  But with their run differential, their "expected" W-L record is -- you guessed it -- 11-4.

Megill looked good again today. 

Guillorme looks like the leading plumber in Caracas and I am over the moon about the team this year. 

Further communiques as warranted.

I do like this group.  There are some interesting decisions to be made, though.  Cano is getting a solid chance to show that he can still play, but I think he is blocking Smith from at bats.  I have no issues with the pitching anywhere, but I'm sure they will be blasted when they come back to earth a little bit.  

I also must add that when I look at the stats and standings I see how good they are, and then see that the Dodgers are even better.  That's something.

I appreciated Buck ripping the reporter apart in the post game when he asked if he'll miss not getting to play the Dbacks anymore. What a dumb question. I'm hoping he gives Cano a couple more weeks. He hasn't shown anything and it looks he can't fully bend over on grounders. He shouldn't be playing ahead of Dom or JD. 

it's not my money, so easy for me to say Cohen should just set fire to ~$45 million and release Cano.  But I don't see what he brings to this team, and when they cut down to 26 players, I'd hate to see him taking up a spot that a younger player could fill.

ml1 said:

it's not my money, so easy for me to say Cohen should just set fire to ~$45 million and release Cano.  But I don't see what he brings to this team, and when they cut down to 26 players, I'd hate to see him taking up a spot that a younger player could fill.

Heard Assistant GM Ira Levin on the Manager's show and he was naturally evasive when asked about who stays and who goes when they cut down to 26 players.  He of course said that they need to give Cano a lot of chances given his long and successful career, but the hopeful part of me sort of kind of maybe heard him possibly hint at the Mets being the type of team that lets the expensive but underperforming sympathetic old guy go in favor of the exciting and upcoming and cheaper new kids.

mfpark said:

ml1 said:

Heard Assistant GM Ira Levin on the Manager's show and he was naturally evasive when asked about who stays and who goes when they cut down to 26 players.  He of course said that they need to give Cano a lot of chances given his long and successful career, but the hopeful part of me sort of kind of maybe heard him possibly hint at the Mets being the type of team that lets the expensive but underperforming sympathetic old guy go in favor of the exciting and upcoming and cheaper new kids.

there's certainly the risk that they cut Canno and goes somewhere else and has a good season as DH. But on this Mets team, I don't see what he brings them over and above the Davis/Smith/Alonso/McNeil combo as IF/DHs.

ml1 said:

there's certainly the risk that they cut Canno and goes somewhere else and has a good season as DH. But on this Mets team, I don't see what he brings them over and above the Davis/Smith/Alonso/McNeil combo as IF/DHs.

There really is no risk there unless he plays well against the Mets.  He doesn't have to fail completely elsewhere.  He just isn't performing here, and is blocking better players from ABs.  

DanDietrich said:

ml1 said:

There really is no risk there unless he plays well against the Mets.  He doesn't have to fail completely elsewhere.  He just isn't performing here, and is blocking better players from ABs.  

the risk is that he helps some other NL team win lots of games.  if he ends up playing well for some mediocre AL team, you're right.  It would be no skin off our apple grin

There is no NL team with any hope of contending who would consider Cano an upgrade.  

What a joy to listen to the Mets announcers calling the Cards game. The Cardinal announcers are almost as bad as the Yankees’. 

Eat Cano's contract.   Shake hands and say goodbye to him.

And I would be happy to see Trevor May go as well.  I never have any confidence in him.

I do believe Dom just proved why he should be on the field and not Cano. 

Let me just say: Dom. DOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Moammar said:

I do believe Dom just proved why he should be on the field and not Cano. 

Let me just say: Dom. DOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

He hit a bullet, then ran faster than he ever has in his life.  The Statcast said that his footspeed was one foot per second faster than his average sprint down the line this year.  And McNeil also was heads up with a great slide at the end.  Little things like this are what get teams into the playoffs.

sbenois said:

Eat Cano's contract.   Shake hands and say goodbye to him.

And I would be happy to see Trevor May go as well.  I never have any confidence in him.

I disagree about May.  I think he will be an important cog in the machine this year.  I'm glad Buck let him pitch his way out of his mess.  That's a long term investment in confidence.

Who are the two players that come off the roster when they have to reduce? I would think Cano and Reid-Foley? I actually think at this point that Dom could play a better 2nd base than Cano as well. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.