Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Seems the only reliever on the roster who can be trusted to go multiple innings is Lugo. 

For Rojas to claim a short bullpen after the game is BS when the starter isn't even given a chance to show he's getting in trouble.  

FilmCarp said:

For Rojas to claim a short bullpen after the game is BS when the starter isn't even given a chance to show he's getting in trouble.  

They seem to have a philosophical objection to allowing Luchessi to go a third time through, for the reason I posted. Seems they really consider him a long man, not a starter, which explains the usage. Short pen is based on prior games.

jimmurphy said:

FilmCarp said:

They seem to have a philosophical objection to allowing Luchessi to go a third time through, for the reason I posted. Seems they really consider him a long man, not a starter, which explains the usage. Short pen is based on prior games.

Right.  I think they are wrong.  And if the pen is short, and you are facing many consecutive days of games, maybe that's the time to see if your starter can get one or two more outs, especially when he's cruising along.    If he's getting knocked around, I get it.

Watching MLB Tonight. Tatis has the highest OPS against fastballs in the NL. Much worse against benders. Barnes doesn’t have any benders. Move shoulda been to May. Guess the trust isn’t there right now.

41 pitches was most for Familia since 2014. 

Pulling Luchessi was bad, but let's not ignore the runners left on base. There were chances to avoid this situation, but the wood must contact the horsehide on a more regular basis. One for 10 with runners in scoring position.

As I recall, last time Familia imploded against the Padres it ignited a run to the National League pennant. Let's go Mets!!

Moammar said:

Pulling Luchessi was bad, but let's not ignore the runners left on base. There were chances to avoid this situation, but the wood must contact the horsehide on a more regular basis. One for 10 with runners in scoring position.

I agree.  Dom Smith, who I like, has been a single handed rally killer lately.  

It was one game. Against some pretty good pitchers who were on yesterday. If this is the start of a trend that's one thing. But they took 2 of 3 from a pretty good team and they're in first place. It was a really bad loss for sure. But it was only one. 

ml1 said:

It was one game. Against some pretty good pitchers who were on yesterday. If this is the start of a trend that's one thing. But they took 2 of 3 from a pretty good team and they're in first place. It was a really bad loss for sure. But it was only one. 

I don’t know if you can even call it a really bad loss. The Mets only had a one-run lead. A bit mismanaged, sure, but as you say they took the series from a really good team.

The other guys are trying too.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

I don’t know if you can even call it a really bad loss. The Mets only had a one-run lead. A bit mismanaged, sure, but as you say they took the series from a really good team.

The other guys are trying too.

it's a pretty excruciating loss when the team's got 2 outs and can't get out of the inning because a reliever keeps walking guys.

but I get what you're saying.  Paddack had a good day, and it's not easy on the bullpen to ask them to protect a one-run lead for four innings.

Yesterday I bought three tickets to the June 25 double header, through the team.  Today they went on sale 25% off.  I sent them an email, but I sense I'm out of luck.  

ml1 said:

it's a pretty excruciating loss when the team's got 2 outs and can't get out of the inning because a reliever keeps walking guys.

but I get what you're saying.  Paddack had a good day, and it's not easy on the bullpen to ask them to protect a one-run lead for four innings.

Don't get me wrong. I let out a very loud expletive when that Slam was hit, so it was excrutiating in the moment. Just less so in hindsight.

I don't know if this has been posted before but I just read that deGrom has had more RBIs (5) than earned runs (4).  This could be the greatest single season for a pitcher ever.  But I'm sure all of you Mets fans already knew that.  Heck, how many ERs would he need to climb up to Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA?

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Don't get me wrong. I let out a very loud expletive when that Slam was hit, so it was excrutiating in the moment. Just less so in hindsight.

I'm glad I wasn't watching yesterday.

Trevor May was a great interview from the bullpen!

jeffl said:

…Heck, how many ERs would he need to climb up to Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA?

Very few. Rarified air.

jimmurphy said:

Yep.  Less great on the mound, but it was a good interview.

FilmCarp said:

Yep.  Less great on the mound, but it was a good interview.

True. Must not have been trying tonight.

Somehow Peterson did a good job.

Somehow…

(Edited to add, seems somehow I’m turning this thread into Mets:All Politics!

I don’t mean to do that, but I feel like this team is pretty damn impressive!

Look at the stats, look at the results and consider that it is a 162-game season. I am actually concerned that the regulars may not perform as well as the Bench Mob!

Going for Jake Day on Wednesday. Hoping for a Happy Recap!)

jimmurphy said:

They should have stretched it out for, oh, seven more innings. 

It's early, and I wish the kid the well, but note that in sizing up the Cano/Diaz deal, the lost annointed phenom in the trade, Kelenic, was sent down to the minors after batting 96 for the Mariners.  You never know.  Diaz, meanwhile, looks solid.  

bub said:

It's early, and I wish the kid the well, but note that in sizing up the Cano/Diaz deal, the lost annointed phenom in the trade, Kelenic, was sent down to the minors after batting 96 for the Mariners.  You never know.  Diaz, meanwhile, looks solid.  

reminds me a little of what happened to Conforto early in his career.  He looked good when he came up in '15, and started '16 well.  But by the middle of the season he was in a terrible slump and got sent down.  After a month at AAA, he came up and never looked back.  Kelenic is like Conforto in that he spent very little time at AAA.  Conforto had no AAA experience when he first came up, but he had played in college and Kelenic didn't.  Kelenic had only spent a couple of weeks at AAA.  He didn't even have much AA experience, playing only a couple dozen games at that level in '19.

It's been hard after the minor leagues got wiped out last year for teams to figure out who's ready and who isn't ready to be in the big leagues.

If we could figure out a way to get rid of Cano without bleeding too much money, I'll be happy.

bub said:

If we could figure out a way to get rid of Cano without bleeding too much money, I'll be happy.

It's gonna happen. 

After a great play by Villar, Keith was verrrr-y effusive about how well he’s been playing. Gotta say that I like Villar’s overall skill set more than Davis’. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

If you’re a fan of pitching, as I am, you have to be loving this Mets staff!

Not buying the sticky stuff argument. It’s the ball, yet again.

jimmurphy said:

After a great play by Villar, Keith was verrrr-y effusive about how well he’s been playing. Gotta say that I like Villar’s overall skill set more than Davis’. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I think as people return they should need to earn their jobs back.

FilmCarp said:

I think as people return they should need to earn their jobs back.

I’m OK with that!

Harder call than Davis on Conforto, Nimmo, and McNeill. Not sure how you manage it. Ease them in and see how it goes?

Oh wow. That was a battle for Lugo but he did it. Did anyone else feel like the ninth inning lasted 40 minutes? I swear it was like 9:40 when the 8th was ending.

Big baserunning error by the Cubs saved the Mets' bacon. 

jimmurphy said:

I’m OK with that!

Harder call than Davis on Conforto, Nimmo, and McNeill. Not sure how you manage it. Ease them in and see how it goes?

they are in the midst of 33 games in 31 days. Everyone is going to get a chance to play. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.