Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Wheeler getting lit up in the first. Doesn’t know to throw breaking stuff to Davis.

Ha ha. Dylan.

Avila and Familia looking sharp.

Dom Smith just jacked a 3-run job to make it 9-7, top 9.  Guy is lean and looks like a ballplayer. I think he and Alonso will both break camp on the ML roster.

ml1 said:
and that Baltimore lineup is pretty dreadful.  Gonna be a long season in Charm City.

Yeah, but they've got some GREAT young kids in the system. (wink, wink)

Train_of_Thought said:

maybe one

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
 maybe one

Not maybe. At least.  grin 

At least one.

Good number - 86 - eh? ;-)

Good omen: It's the year I graduated from the home of the 2019 NCAA men's basketball tournament champions.

if anyone thinks the deGrom contract is a bad idea, the time to say it is now.  No second-guessing two years from now if it goes south.

I'll be on the record right now saying I am highly in favor of it grin

I love it.  Then again, I loved when they signed Cespedes  LOL 

It's hard for me to say how much I like or don't like this contract. I've lost all sense of perspective of what's the going rate for pitchers these days.

I want deGrom to stay, for sure, so I'm happy about that. I think the Mets got a huge bargain for the first few years of his major league career so I'm okay with them paying up.

It’s a bad idea.

— Phillies fan, Maplewood, N.J.

And depending on what a millilon ends up being worth, the signing bonus could be huuuuuge.

Also the Mets owe him for the 20 career wins he's missing on account of their offensive offense.

DaveSchmidt said:
And depending on what a millilon ends up being worth, the signing bonus could be huuuuuge.

I think it's more than a million, but less than a gazillion.

mfpark said:
I love it.  Then again, I loved when they signed Cespedes  LOL 

The deal is pending a physical, and unless they see some irregularity with his UCL, we keep our fingers crossed.  I like the deal because if he stays healthy, I think there's a lot of reason to believe his performance won't decline much in the next five years (he's not likely to match last season, but realistically how can he do that again?).  He works hard, he's a student of pitching, and he's shown himself willing and able to adapt his style to be more successful.  As he starts to lose a little off his fastball, I expect him to figure out ways to compensate.

So let's hope for once the Mets luck on health of their stars is good instead of tragic.

It’s a no brainer.  Great move. 

Sometimes you've just gotta do whatever is necessary to keep Syndergaard happy.   cheese 

I like it.  It's well structured and shows understanding on the part of DeGrom.  Big paydays are after Cespedes comes off of the books.  Nice hometown discount, and he has security in case of injury.

Train_of_Thought said:
Sometimes you've just gotta do whatever is necessary to keep Syndergaard happy.   cheese 

So this is payback for making him go to Syracuse?

mfpark said:

Train_of_Thought said:
 So this is payback for making him go to Syracuse?

Thor apparently was down (and vocal) about both the Syracuse trip and deGrom not getting his money. I think they still owe him for the 'Cuse debacle. Maybe some Dinosaur BBQ.  grin 

Maybe some Dinosaur BBQ.

Indeed

The team plane also sat on the tarmac for 3 hours, which just had to go over really well with the God of Thunder.

Can someone please explain why the Mets are forcing Mesoraco into retirement rather than releasing him?  

He refused an assignment to AAA and I understand this ticked off the front office since they now cannot stockpile him as a catching backup should d'Arnaud not return or get injured again.

But they then signed Rivera to a contract, making Mesoraco dispensable anyway.  Most teams at this point would let Mesoraco go free to sign with another team if he can.  The Mets put him on the Restricted List, meaning he is stuck in limbo with nowhere to go but to retire.

Seems kind of mean-spirited to do to a guy with solid MLB tenure and perhaps a few more years left in him.  But perhaps I am missing something here?  

mfpark said:
Can someone please explain why the Mets are forcing Mesoraco into retirement rather than releasing him?  
He refused an assignment to AAA and I understand this ticked off the front office since they now cannot stockpile him as a catching backup should d'Arnaud not return or get injured again.

But they then signed Rivera to a contract, making Mesoraco dispensable anyway.  Most teams at this point would let Mesoraco go free to sign with another team if he can.  The Mets put him on the Restricted List, meaning he is stuck in limbo with nowhere to go but to retire.
Seems kind of mean-spirited to do to a guy with solid MLB tenure and perhaps a few more years left in him.  But perhaps I am missing something here?  

I guess they were annoyed that he signed a minor league deal with apparently no intention of ever reporting to the minor leagues if that's where he was assigned.  I agree it's a crappy thing for them to do however.

They could have been using spring to check out other catchers if they knew he would refuse the assignment.  He wasted their time, for what that's worth.

Great deal. Potential to be $170m. Next up: signing Wheeler to an extension.

Alonso made the Big Team.  Hell of a spring the kid had, but so did Dom Smith for once.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!