Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

mrincredible said:
Sad news. We say goodbye to Mel Stottlemyre:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiYlYCBr-7fAhUKm-AKHX3CBNsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fsports%2Fbaseball%2Fyankees%2Fny-sports-mel-stottlemyre-mets-yankees-obit-20190114-story.html&psig=AOvVaw0JnTpfkigL3sNR_HUH96iH&ust=1547592915193767

The obit today in the S-L didn't even mention in the body of the article that Mel was pitching coach for the best team in Mets history.  The caption on the photo said he had coached the Yanks and Mets.

He certainly battled that illness for a very long time.  He always seemed like a guy of strong character.  

How very gutsy of them.

Shouldn't this break the "Like" counter?

Train_of_Thought said:
How very gutsy of them.

what on earth can a team get in return for a catcher who is coming off TJ surgery?

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
How very gutsy of them.
what on earth can a team get in return for a catcher who is coming off TJ surgery?

About 3 million in salary relief and two boxes of baseballs.

I remember when they acquired him, along with that slacker Syndegaard.  The rap on d'Arnaud even then was that he was injury-prone (he was only 23 years old at the time and had no MLB at bats yet).

d'Arnaud Games played per year:

2013:     31

2014:   108

2015:     67

2016:     75

2017:   112

2018:       4

And he is a free agent in 2020.  I seriously doubt the Mets would be able to trade him without picking up most of his salary.  But they should NOT let Nido go because there is a really good chance d'Arnaud is injured again in 2019. 

FilmCarp said:

ml1 said:

About 3 million in salary relief and two boxes of baseballs.

Used to be one-third of Roy Halladay.

jimmurphy said:
Situational Hitting Coach.  

Loving this:  
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/why-mets-making-cubs-castoff-chili-davis-hitting-coach-shouldnt-cause-alarm/302818552?yptr=yahoo

that article is spot on. That was one of the reasons deGrom was so good last year. He went after all those launch angle guys and dominated them up and in. He adjusted after giving up a lot of HRs in '17.  

Dumbledore for Lagares.  Straight up.

wharfrat said:
deGrom?

Is this for real?! Wow. The Mets are on Rowling's radar! (For better or for worse.)

The tweet (and whole thread following it) is the most bizarre shade throwing I've seen in the history if throwing shade. She goes into great detail, and describes the students' reactions when thus sorted.

I wonder if she's having a bit of a tit-for-tat with a friend who is a Mets fan. I'll be interested to see if someone like Syndergaard picks up on this. He goofs around on Twitter. 

One possible clue. J.K.’s cousin:

Another possible clue: When I go to J.K.’s Twitter feed, I can’t find that tweet, or any at all since Jan. 12. Am I missing something?

There are going to be suspensions. 

The Commissioner

During the Hot Stove time is when you see articles like this one from Will Leitch.  He lists the next Hall of Famer from every team:

https://www.mlb.com/news/each-mlb-teams-most-likely-next-hall-of-famer/c-302930638

He cites Beltran from the Mets, which I agree with.  If he makes the Hall, it certainly has to be as a Met.  He played more games for the Mets than any other team, and he hit more HRs there, had a higher slugging pct, higher OBP, won his Gold Gloves there, and made most of his All-Star teams as a Met.

A lot of Mets fans will probably dispute that he belongs in the Hall at all, but to me he's a no-brainer.  The combination of power and defense at CF that Beltran brought is pretty rare.  And now that BA is being reevaluated somewhat in terms of importance compared to OBP, it seems even more obvious to me that he belongs.  His lifetime .350 OBP compensates for his less than stellar .279 lifetime BA IMHO, which would have been the most prominent knock that some voters would cite.

Soul_29 said:
There are going to be suspensions. 
The Commissioner

I've been behaving. You know, for the most part.

That Enter Sandman walk-up song.  Turns out it was all a lie.

As much as I loved Beltran as a Mets player, I rate Beltran's chances as very low. Carlos Delgado got booted off after one year on the ballot and his numbers are similar to Beltran's. Beltran's HR = 435. Delgado's = 473. Beltran's RBI's = 1,587. Delgado's = 1,512. Beltran's OBP = .350. Delgado's = .383. Beltran's BA = .279. Delgado's = .280. No Gold Glove for Delgado. Not by a long shot!

NotoriousEAM said:
As much as I loved Beltran as a Mets player, I rate Beltran's chances as very low. Carlos Delgado got booted off after one year on the ballot and his numbers are similar to Beltran's. Beltran's HR = 435. Delgado's = 473. Beltran's RBI's = 1,587. Delgado's = 1,512. Beltran's OBP = .350. Delgado's = .383. Beltran's BA = .279. Delgado's = .280. No Gold Glove for Delgado. Not by a long shot!

the vast majority of voters are going to take into consideration the position he played.  Delgado was a 1B, and his numbers were good, but not as good compared to peers at the same position as Beltran.  Beltran was fifth in HR and RBI and third in doubles all-time among players who primarily played CF.

Good point. I had not considered comparing him to other players of the same position. 

NotoriousEAM said:
Good point. I had not considered comparing him to other players of the same position. 

that's my primary criterion for the Hall -- are you among the best ever at your position.  IMHO it's not fair to compare a CF, 2B or a SS to corner outfielders or 1B on HRs or RBIs for example.

Why doesn't Kent get more consideration? I couldn't stand the guy, but he is up there among the leaders for 2nd base. 

He has pretty solid stats. Kind of Craig Biggio-lite.

The Post is reporting that the Mets are unwilling to spend for Harper or Machado.  To me this isn't news, and I'm not actually sure it bothers me.  I think a 7 or 8 year deal is a mistake for anyone these days.  Is it dumb of me to think prudently about the wilpons' money?

I think they'd be insane to sign Harper. I don't like the past three year trend. I think there is a good chance he'll be an expensive bust. 

ml1 said:
I don't like the past three year trend. I think there is a good chance he'll be an expensive bust. 

You know, for the most part.

Wilpon said that Cespedes has made it impossible for them to sign a Harper or a Machado.  

He should have been thinking this when he signed an aging Cespedes to a whopper contract in the first place.

The Mets are not in a position to add a 7 or 8 year contract in the $30MM per year level, even for a 26 year old proven slugger.  There are too many moving parts they need to address, including deGrom.

Meanwhile, Pollack just signed with the Dodgers, which is a far better career move for him than had he signed with the Mets (not that they were seriously chasing him, I think).  Pollack immediately makes the Dodgers much better by adding a decent right handed bat to an overwhelmingly lefty lineup--and they were already a playoff-caliber team before they added him.  The Mets are....well, they may be playoff bound, they may not, it is very much up in the air in an unsettled division.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.