Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I'm optimistic that the Nets rebuilding is going to yield a playoff-bound team next year. If they can crack 30 wins this season and with all the cap room they have saved AND finally their own draft pick next year, they may be able to attract major talent to a max contract. I have no illusions they'll get Durant or Irving who will be available, but maybe they can lure Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler. One can dream!

mfpark said:

bub said:
New York sports are in the toilet right now.  Really need good Mets news.
 All the NY teams suck these days.  Except the Devils (and Islanders) sort of.  Sad to see for such a great sports area.

The Yankees are looking like they're going to continue to be good for years to come.  And that's about it.  The problem as I see it is twofold.  First, the metro area has so many people, and so many fans that the Rangers, Knicks, Jets and Giants are always sold out, and pretty much always will be, regardless of whether the teams are good or bad.  It does remove some of the urgency.  And the other is that some of the owners seem to be incredibly egotistical and arrogant, believing themselves to be a lot smarter and more capable in building a team than they really are.  I'd put the Wilpons, Dolan and Johnson in that category.  As long as the Wilpons and Dolan are around, their teams are going to struggle for consistent success.

The Yankees?  Feh!  A bunch of overpriced steroid-pumping strikeout artists.**   

**This message sponsored by Sbenois Industries

bub said:
DEGROM!!!!

There is some justice in the universe after all.

I think we can say that deGrom's award is one of the first that was significantly influenced by advanced stats.  In the past "wins" was far and away the main factor correlating with the Cy Young Award, with ERA being a strong but secondary factor (and a few times, "saves").  But when you look at all the advanced stats that deGrom led in, it showed what an utterly dominant season he had.  One for the ages.

BTW, Snell also was extremely deserving of the Cy Young even with his restricted innings.  His wins and ERA were classic Cy Young numbers, and his advanced stats were also really strong.

mfpark said:
The Yankees?  Feh!  A bunch of overpriced steroid-pumping strikeout artists.**   

**This message sponsored by Sbenois Industries

Bryce Harper? Really? There's no way we're in play for him. And please, dear God, no to Robinson Cano! 

NotoriousEAM said:
Bryce Harper? Really? There's no way we're in play for him. And please, dear God, no to Robinson Cano! 

I hated the idea of Cano when I first heard it, but the parameters of the deal that's rumored aren't bad.  The Mariners take one of the Mets bad contracts (e.g., Jay Bruce), pay part of Cano's salary, and the Mets get a good young player in addition to Cano.  The Mariners get about $50MM in salary off their books, and the Mets get a young relief pitcher or outfielder for Bruce and a big bat in the lineup for the next year or two (before the inevitable decline).

Perfect for the Mets because it means shifting McNeil around, and whenever the Mets get their hands on a hot prospect they move him around enough to screw up his bat. Just let the kid play.

I'd love for the Mets to land Zach Britton and Andrew Miller and get a bat somewhere. I'd be happy with McNeil at second and wouldn't be surprised if Alonso is at first by May. 

NotoriousEAM said:
I'd love for the Mets to land Zach Britton and Andrew Miller and get a bat somewhere. I'd be happy with McNeil at second and wouldn't be surprised if Alonso is at first by May. 

I like and agree with this approach, although I'm worried about the mileage on Miller. Wanted him badly for the Mets a few years ago. And no Kimbrel, please. He's constantly getting out of the messes of his own making. Even coming off a title, I think he's well on his way to done. Cano is old and lazy and hints of Robbie Alomar to me, even if it brings Diaz. We didn't give up much for Alomar, as I recall, but he sucked for us and that's what matters.

I bet they do it.  They will take cano and Diaz, and they will give up McNeil and Bruce .

Saw in today's NYT that Mets organization is parting ways with Wilmer Flores. LOL 

Well, not offering him arbitration.  If no one else signs him they can.  I'll miss him, too, but I don't think they need him.  Hoping for an infield of Alonso, Cano, Rosario, and McNeil with Frazier backing first and third, McNeil backing second, and I don't know at short.

I'm not sure how to feel about this trade.  I like losing bruce, swarzak, and Vargas, but not the prospects.  I like getting Diaz, and don't mind Cano, but I'm not sure where McNeil fits now.

I hate losing prospects as well, but the Mets only have a few years with this pitching staff.  Now is the time.  Unfortunately  there are a lot of very good teams right now to get past.

lots of closers and second baseman available on the free agent market.

If you are going to trade prospects why not go for Arizona D’backs first baseman? He’s available.

Sorry for discussion zag, but has anyone sat in the Hyundai Club seats at Citi Field?  If so, thoughts?  Specifically, thoughts about the Club itself and the food options there?  How's the value proposition (benefits vs. cost)?  View seems pretty good...

lanky said:
Sorry for discussion zag, but has anyone sat in the Hyundai Club seats at Citi Field?  If so, thoughts?  Specifically, thoughts about the Club itself and the food options there?  How's the value proposition (benefits vs. cost)?  View seems pretty good...

No zag if the focus is benefits vs. cost oh oh

wharfrat said:
lots of closers and second baseman available on the free agent market.

If you are going to trade prospects why not go for Arizona D’backs first baseman? He’s available.

all true. But I think a prime motivation for this deal was also getting rid of Bruce and Swarzak. They can still sign another bullpen arm and another hitter. 

Why trade prospects for a first baseman with Alonso in the wings?  What's the point of a minor league system if a player who is ready is blocked?  Bad enough that McNeil has to move around.  I agree that unloading Swarzak and Bruce helps.

FilmCarp said:
Why trade prospects for a first baseman with Alonso in the wings?  What's the point of a minor league system if a player who is ready is blocked?  Bad enough that McNeil has to move around.  I agree that unloading Swarzak and Bruce helps.

Goldschmidt hits and fields in MLB. At this point we know Alonso hits home runs in the minors. If you want to win now with elite starters, trade for an elite player.

wharfrat said:

FilmCarp said:
 Goldschmidt hits and fields in MLB. At this point we know Alonso hits home runs in the minors. If you want to win now with elite starters, trade for an elite player.

I always look back to the braves in the 90's or Cards basically forever to see how good teams are sustained. It's always a mix, and kids are rotated in every year as they are ready to replace an older or more expensive player.  Free agents fill other needs.  If I'm the mets, I would trade for a catcher before I'd trade for a first baseman. Cano doesn't excite me, but the rest of the trade i think is good. Dumping bad contracts helps.

It sure seems like a done deal for Cano and Diaz. Moving Bruce will create real competition at first where Smith and Alonso will be given a chance to duke it out. I like that. Not crazy about giving up the pitcher and outfielder but am happy the Mariners will eat some of Cano's crazy contract. The thing I'm bothered about is how McNeil fits in all this. His Murphy-like approach to the plate is virtually slump-proof and he strikes me as the kind of player who can drive the ball based on the circumstance. He needs at bats to improve in that area. I imagine they're going to rotate McNeil at 2nd and 3rd base, spelling the two middle-age veterans. I was looking at Cano's stats at Seattle. He really had only one Yankees-like year in 2016. On the plus side, until last season's PED mess, he basically plays 150+ games each year. Sturdy player.

From MLB.com

NEW YORK -- After the Mets completed their trade for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz this week, one common refrain was that they no longer had enough prospects in their system to tempt Miami in a deal for All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto.

Whether that's true may not actually matter. The Mets are maintaining dialogue with the Marlins on Realmuto, according to multiple sources, using big league talent as a lure. No trade appeared imminent as of Tuesday night, and one source called the speculation "just talk." But the New York Post reported that the Mets are "seriously considering" trading outfielder Brandon Nimmo to acquire Realmuto.

For a team with uncertainty at multiple positions, such a deal would force them to make other moves to compensate, either in free agency or via trades. General manager Brodie Van Wagenen has also been vocal in saying he wants to keep the Mets' core of young, controllable players -- most notably Nimmo, Michael Conforto and Amed Rosario, as well as most of the rotation -- intact.

"But if we had a chance to get another guy that can impact the middle of our lineup," Van Wagenen said Tuesday night on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM, "whatever position he plays, we'd be foolish not to explore it."

Realmuto is widely considered that type of player. After his agent -- Jeff Berry, a former Van Wagenen colleague at CAA -- expressed his desire for Realmuto to be traded last February, the catcher responded with a career year in Miami. Over 125 games, he hit .277 with 21 homers and an .825 OPS. Realmuto is also widely considered a strong thrower and pitch framer.

Also relevant, Realmuto is right-handed, unlike top-of-the-order hitters Nimmo, Conforto and Cano. Realmuto would add both balance and stability behind the plate for the Mets, who have not received the latter from oft-injured Travis d'Arnaud.

Late last week, the Mets tendered d'Arnaud a contract despite uncertainty that he will recover from Tommy John surgery in time for Opening Day. Although d'Arnaud was a key contributor to New York's National League pennant run in 2015, he has hit just .244/.297/.690 in 191 games since that time.

"We like both of our catchers," Van Wagenen said Tuesday. "We went into this saying if we could improve our defense behind the plate, then we would look to do that, but we're not going to do that at the expense of making our team better. Travis, we're assuming he's going to come back healthy, and when his bat is behind the plate, it's a competitive advantage for us.

"If we have to be open-minded or if we have an opportunity to be productive in our pursuits, then we'll do so."

The GM went on to say d'Arnaud would be capable of playing left field, first base or third base if the Mets acquire another catcher -- and they might need him to if Realmuto is the choice. Should the Mets trade Nimmo, they would have just one outfielder on their 40-man roster (Conforto) who ended last season healthy. Plenty of replacement options exist on the free-agent market, from superstar Bryce Harper to standout center fielder A.J. Pollock, and on down the list. But only a few boast as much upside as Nimmo, a 25-year-old who broke out with a .263/.404/.483 slash line, 17 home runs, eight triples, 28 doubles and nine stolen bases in 2018.

Following Cano's press conference on Tuesday, Van Wagenen quipped that Nimmo will have ample opportunities to score runs in 2019, hitting ahead of Cano and Conforto. As he spoke those words, Nimmo was in a different part of Citi Field, preparing to play Santa for the Mets' annual holiday party. He laughed off the idea that the Santa suit is "cursed," despite the fact that many who have worn it have either suffered major injuries or been traded away the following season.

"We'll knock on wood," Nimmo said. "We won't say anything yet because next year's important. But I just believe there's other things that go into [my future], rather than being Santa."

Anthony DiComo has covered the Mets for MLB.com since 2007. @AnthonyDiComo

mfpark said:
But the New York Post reported that the Mets are "seriously considering" trading outfielder Brandon Nimmo to acquire Realmuto.

Makes perfect sense -- they suited Nimmo up as Santa at their 2018 holiday party.

Mets' Santa suit curse rivals Madden

The Santa Suit curse! OMG. I didn't think of that. Nimmo's toast.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.