Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Mets announcers suggesting Kelly Shoppach is the reason for the turn-around of the Mets bullpen ...

Not to take anything away from the Mets announcers (who I love, both radio and TV) but the following article was posted on nymets.com at about 3 PM today by steve overbey:

ST LOUIS -- Kelly Shoppach is just what the doctor ordered for the young Mets pitching staff.

Shoppach, acquired from the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named on Aug. 14, has not only provided some key hits, but he has also brought some veteran insight to the Mets' young hurlers.

The 32-year-old catcher was hitting .353 with two homers and five RBIs in nine games with the Mets entering Monday. Shoppach triggered a ninth-inning rally with a two-run single in a 5-3 win at Miami on Saturday. He also tied a season high with three hits on Aug. 28.

But according to manager Terry Collins, Shoppach's most important contribution comes in his ability to handle young pitchers. "I like the way he calls a game," Collins said. "He's done a good job."

Collins says Shoppach has a great track record with youthful hurlers from his days in Cleveland and Tampa Bay.

"Anybody who played in Tampa Bay, with all of those young pitchers coming up there, you've got to know how to work them, you have to know their strengths and weaknesses," he said. "He's continued that over here with our guys."

Shoppach threw out 15 of 41 attempted basestealers last year in Tampa Bay, the second-best total in the Majors.

Today, Shoppach hit his third home run since coming to the Mets what, three weeks ago? All other Mets catchers have combined this season to hit TWO.

BTW, yet another classic Mets way to lose today -- Torres called out in the 9th for missing first base on a leadoff double down 1 run. Ryan Church anyone???

Soul_29 said:

R.A. Dickey should get the Cy Young ... 17 wins (tied for the lead). 3rd in ERA (2.63) ... 2nd in K's with 190 ... Best WHIP in the NL! 2nd in innings pitched ...

Let's see what he does against the Cards....

I'm not talking to you right now, jeffl ... I am very angry about the Torres call and I am taking it out on you ...

jeffl said:

Soul_29 said:

R.A. Dickey should get the Cy Young ... 17 wins (tied for the lead). 3rd in ERA (2.63) ... 2nd in K's with 190 ... Best WHIP in the NL! 2nd in innings pitched ...

I'm not talking to you right now, jeffl ... I am very angry about the Torres call and I am taking it out on you ...

Mets announcers suggested that if the Mets could go 22 - 5 the rest of the way, they'd have a shot at the Wild Card ... I predict that if Wright can get to 101 RBI (79 now), they will clinch a Wild Card ...

I don't think there is any question we are going to get the job done.

sbenois said:

I don't think there is any question we are going to get the job done.

This is the best baseball team in New York, my friend. Remember that ...

Train_of_Thought said:

BTW, yet another classic Mets way to lose today -- Torres called out in the 9th for missing first base on a leadoff double down 1 run. Ryan Church anyone???

Not Ryan Church on this one T of T.

Just watched the replay and Collins's remarks after. His heel clearly touched first base and if the ump had just bothered to look at the base after he called the ball fair maybe he would have gotten the call right.

Collins: "I got 10 guys saying he touched the bag; I don't need to see any replay."

But that's baseball. Looking forward to Harvey's start today.

Cards have to face Dickey after facing Harvey--even with Wainwright on the mound, Dickey's slow stuff could give them fits.

wendy said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Not Ryan Church on this one T of T.

Just watched the replay and Collins's remarks after. His heel clearly touched first base and if the ump had just bothered to look at the base after he called the ball fair maybe he would have gotten the call right.

Collins: "I got 10 guys saying he touched the bag; I don't need to see any replay."

Kinda glad to hear that. I still haven't seen the play. Heard it on the radio and just assumed it was a bonehead play by Torres. All Howie said at the time was that replays he saw were inconclusive.

Who were the 10 guys who said he touched the bag? 10 Mets who were in the dugout? I do agree, though, that it was a crazy call to make unless it was obvious that there was space between his foot and the bag.

to me, it looks like the foot is on the bag. certainly doesn't appear to be so blatant that an ump should make that call in a potentially game-changing situation.

I have to be 100% honest ... When I saw the VERY first reply, I said to myself, "He missed the freaking bag ..." When Gary said St. Louis was going to appeal, I knew we were screwed ... BUT I'm still not talking to jeffl ...

It was just a make up call for the no hitter hit.

jeffl said:

It was just a make up call for the no hitter hit.

{Crickets chirping}

Justice. Mets win on an appeal. Dickey continues to rock.

what are you doing on MOL? shouldn't you be tailgating by now?

Not tonight, I'm afraid. Late start b/c of junior's football practice. Hoping to make kickoff.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

LET'S GO METS!!!!

18th win for our organic Mr. Dickey. LGM!

wendy said:

18th win for our organic Mr. Dickey. LGM!

CY YOUNG!! CY YOUNG!! CY YOUNG!!

If he gets to 20 wins he will be as close to a lock as one can get. Not sure the voters will respect the floater enough, but I sure hope they do. He is not only having a great year (after a darn good one last year--he is no fluke), but he also a genuinely nice guy it seems. Baseball needs great stories like this, and winning the Cy will guarantee Dickey gets a prominent place in history.

And how about Ike Davis for Comeback Kid of the Year?

mfpark said:

And how about Ike Davis for Comeback Kid of the Year?

Post All-Star game stats: .260 average. .340 OBP. 14 HR and 28 RBI ... 50 games.

Oy, she said.

Cue the sound of crickets........

Why did Terry take Dickey out? Why?? The only thing that Mets fan care about is Dickey winning the Cy Young ... And that's all the Mets have to play for. Hell, they're using it to sell tickets!! Bad move ...

Terry is losing the fan base.

Soul_29 said:

Why did Terry take Dickey out? Why?? The only thing that Mets fan care about is Dickey winning the Cy Young ... And that's all the Mets have to play for. Hell, they're using it to sell tickets!! Bad move ...

Agreed. Dumb move. The comparisons to the 1979 Mets, in the press, are spot on.
In fact, given a choice between the 1979 outfield-Steve Henderson, Lee Mazzilli and Joel Youngblood and this one, well.......

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!