Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

jfinnegan said:

I could be wrong, but I think we did spend a decent amount of the thread discussing how great of a season Judge has had. I apologize for not congratulating him on his 62nd homer. If only I knew he had been reading this thread. Congratulations Mr. Judge! 

And congrats to Gerrit Cole for setting the Yanks' single season strikeout record. 

Now that is a righteous response regardless of which team one is rooting for. 

wendy said:

Now that is a righteous response regardless of which team one is rooting for. 

Agreed. He started it grin 

And congrats to the Phillies for, um, 

Amazing World series game:  Oct. 12, 1929.  Philadelphia Athletics vs Chicago Cubs.   The Athletics score 10 runs in the seventh inning to win and won the series.   

DanDietrich said:

And congrats to the Phillies for, um,

From your keyboard to Rob Thomson’s locker room.

It’s not in play this season, but a fun piece of trivia from a recent Athletic article:

Who was the last switch-hitting AL MVP?

DaveSchmidt said:

It’s not in play this season, but a fun piece of trivia from a recent Athletic article:

I had to look it up, and I was a little frustrated, because I KNEW the answer at one time. I just forgot.

DaveSchmidt said:

Eddie Murray?

^^^ That would have been my guess. 

Answer.

DaveSchmidt said:

Answer.

I had a feeling it couldn't be Murray. That was some season he had.

Jose Quintana is the Cards' ace? I would have figured Mikolas or Wainwright. Maybe they're taking the lefties in the Phillies' lineup into account. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Answer.

in the back of my mind I was pretty sure it was a pitcher. 

Michael Kay just said on the telecast that, since August 14th, Albert Pujols has the same number of home runs (16) as Aaron Judge. That's kinda crazy.

Train_of_Thought said:

Michael Kay just said on the telecast that, since August 14th, Albert Pujols has the same number of home runs (16) as Aaron Judge. That's kinda crazy.

is it necessary for him to mention Judge every inning? So and so had 10 homeruns this year, which is 52 homeruns less than Aaron Judge.

At the very least he could say fewer.

cheese

Wow. Never expected to see the Cards cough one up like this. 

jfinnegan said:

Train_of_Thought said:

is it necessary for him to mention Judge every inning? So and so had 10 homeruns this year, which is 52 homeruns less than Aaron Judge.

Sounds like a reasonable comment to make (the Pujols one). Exactly when did he say the other one? Seems you may have an anti-Judge bias.

I have great timing.  I had to go to a meeting with one out in the 9th.  Quite a comeback.  

There is no question that Keith, Gary and Ron bring so much to calling Met games.They are missed. The game Is just less fun without them. 

ETA: ESPN’s coverage blows. Absolutely charmless. 

DanDietrich said:

I have great timing. I had to go to a meeting with one out in the 9th. Quite a comeback.

I was at work, taking intermittent peeks at ESPN.com through the top of the 8th, when I decided that my job made a convenient distraction and so gave work my full focus. Thankfully, jimmurphy sent me an encouraging text about the 9th, so back to ESPN.com I went. (I only wish that karma had rewarded Jim’s good turn in the nightcap.)

From what I read in the play-by-play, that must have been one of the lowest-voltage 6-run innings ever.

Only home team that has a shot in this round imho are the Indians. 

BarneyGumble said:

Only home team that has a shot in this round imho are the Indians.

Given all the weight it appears to place on the opening game, I think it’s wise for that opinion to maintain its humility.

In the Mets thread, you’ll see a comment saying Blake Snell’s ERA is half a run better on the road and a run and a half better at night. (In fact, it’s just shy of 2 runs better at night.) Well, Mets fans, good news for tonight’s game at Citi: Snell’s ERA is more than 2 runs worse on grass this season than it is on turf!

The explosion of baseball data is both a blessing and a curse, the latter when it’s thrown around to suggest conclusions without scrutiny. The problem with all three data points above is the limited sample size. For example, take away one especially bad home start against the Guardians and one especially good road start against the Nationals — the mighty Nats! — and Snell’s split flips: His ERA becomes a half run worse on the road than at home. Similarly, he has started only 7 day games (and only 2 on turf; my bad), so guess what happens to that ERA split if just one of them was a bust.*

And we haven’t even begun to account for how the quality of competition may have affected those splits, nor the flaws of relying on ERA rather than a league- and ballpark-adjusted stat like ERA-.

Anyway, that’s my stats rant for the morning.

* Turns out the aforementioned Guardians start (3.1 IP, 6 ER) was a day game.

My favorite thing about baseball statistics is that they are usually pretty good measures but you still have to play the game.  One pitch, one bad bounce, one career day and it's all different.

I have a ticket for the Sunday Mets game. A few days ago I was hoping I would not be able to use it (if the Mets won the first two) and now I truly, deeply, sincerely without a shadow of doubt hope beyond hope that I will be able to use said ticket. 

The Rays-Guardians 1-0 marathon was my kind of game to watch. It helped that my only rooting interest was a good friend who lives in St. Pete (and who was texting his frustration). And that I didn’t tune in until the 6th.

Phillies are looking good. Judge got the HR record.

Woo-hoo. You’re welcome, Baseball Heaven, for sending Pujols and Molina off with base hits. Remember this favor by the Phillies when you’re listening to their induction speeches at Judgestown.

Today's interesting tidbit:. If the Mets, Padres, or Braves win the world series Robinson Cano gets a ring.  Also, Aaron Judge hit 62 home runs

DanDietrich said:

Today's interesting tidbit:. If the Mets, Padres, or Braves win the world series Robinson Cano gets a ring.  Also, Aaron Judge hit 62 home runs

do they really give a ring to anyone who was on the roster?

Cano certainly didn't earn one. He hit 61 fewer HRs than Aaron Judge this year. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.