Electronics Recycling Schedule for 2020?

Does anyone know where to find this?  They still have 2019 dates on the Maplewood Township website.  I know that this is usually shared between the two towns, so I put it here, rather than Maplewood (or South Orange) Specific.

sac said:

Does anyone know where to find this?  They still have 2019 dates on the Maplewood Township website.  I know that this is usually shared between the two towns, so I put it here, rather than Maplewood (or South Orange) Specific.

South Orange site lists May 2nd for electronics.

Just bring your electronics recycling to the recycling center Any time it's open. Drive about three-quarters of the way around to where the shredding truck parked when it is there. In that lot, you'll see a big metal shipping container. You can just drop off your electronics recycling inside that.

According to what I was reading the South Orange residents are entitled to do so as well. I hope that's true, because I have dropped some stuff off there myself.

Now I just need someone to teach me how to take out my old hard drives from laptops and desktops so I can safely drop off the remaining hardware.

nakaille said:

Now I just need someone to teach me how to take out my old hard drives from laptops and desktops so I can safely drop off the remaining hardware.

Honestly it's probably on YouTube. Search for your computer model online. 

So ... is it still any day that the public works yard is open?  (Is it even open now?)

If you are willing to make a longer drive, I have heard good things about this organization

https://gvinc.org

I have used Staples for recycling for years:  https://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/sustainability-center/recycling-services/electronics/

You can bring over 7 items a day, and when I was cleaning out my old house, I brought over 7 items several times.  Lots of stuff in closets and the basement.  They are very friendly.  No cost to you.  I just found it far easier than waiting for a recycling day in a town.  I checked and they are taking items.

I believe Best Buy has a similar service.

The Essex County Utilities Authority will be holding hazardous waste collection on Friday, October 16, 2020 from 9 AM to 1 PM.

Questions can be directed to Naomi at 973-792-9060 Ext. 631

So is that a NO for the DPW yard on Boyden Ave?

sac said:

I think they stopped doing electronic recycling at the DPW yard.  I have a feeling at one point it was too overwhelming.  Or maybe it's because people were dropping stuff off and they had no way to monitor it.  Like dropping off old TVs.

I used it for a bunch of stuff - then it was just gone.  I didn't investigate further.  They also have updated the electronic recycling days schedule for 2020:

https://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/public-works-department/faq/when-next-electronic-recycling-day

Maybe I'll follow up on this on Monday.

I dropped off some electronic recycling at the DPW a couple of weeks ago, during normal business hours. 

Cool, I stand corrected.  Did they have a bin?  It was on the right side as you exit. Maybe they had moved it temporarily last time I was there.

jamie said:

sac said:

I think they stopped doing electronic recycling at the DPW yard.  I have a feeling at one point it was too overwhelming.  Or maybe it's because people were dropping stuff off and they had no way to monitor it.  Like dropping off old TVs.

I used it for a bunch of stuff - then it was just gone.  I didn't investigate further.  They also have updated the electronic recycling days schedule for 2020:

https://www.twp.maplewood.nj.us/public-works-department/faq/when-next-electronic-recycling-day

Maybe I'll follow up on this on Monday.

When I click on that link I see reference to 2019, not 2020.  LOL

jamie said:

Cool, I stand corrected.  Did they have a bin?  It was on the right side as you exit. Maybe they had moved it temporarily last time I was there.

Yup, right side as you head down the exit lane.  

sac said:

When I click on that link I see reference to 2019, not 2020.
LOL

Sorry I meant they have not updated. 
sounds like we don’t need a date if the bin is back.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.