Four years ago, I debated between buying an ipad or kindle. I had never owned one of either. I feared that with the ipad, I might not read in a focused way and would be distracted on the ipad. I got the ipad, and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. (It's now dying.) But I think my concern for distraction was well founded. I can see leaving an ipad at home and taking a kindle when you just want to read. Sometimes less is more, or at least more better.

the OP already has an iPad and is asking for advice.

shh said:

He doesn't have an iPad. He only has his phone and a kindle fire. 

He needs something new. 
ml1 said:

I'm not sure what someone who already owns iPad gets in a Kindle that would make it worthwhile to shell out another $150 instead of just downloading the free Kindle app. (Not to mention require carrying a 2nd device).

mtierney said:

In my case, the weight and size of my iPad discourages my schelping it around in my purse — or even rest comfortably in my hands. The paperwhite I saw in Target was on sale for $79. I know, that price is most likely a lowball one.

I do have the kindle app on the iPad and the temptations of the internet are distracting. I think I answered my own questions thanks to all the comments! A new Kindle dedicated reader  seems to be my direction. surprised 
ml1 said:

I'm not sure what someone who already owns iPad gets in a Kindle that would make it worthwhile to shell out another $150 instead of just downloading the free Kindle app. (Not to mention require carrying a 2nd device).

and here's the answer to my question grin

oh, little did I know how complicated selecting a new kindle. The 4 or 5 various choices run from $59 to $255! It is almost as bad as car shopping. For some reason, known only by Amazon, the cheapest one includes audio as does the most expensive. 

so, I have given up on the audio aspect. The Paper white seems to have the other upgrades I like. The fact that it weighs the most is an issue, but it is slightly larger. Now, how can I be sure I don’t get commercials!

23 grams is less than an ounce. It's a very small difference.

Forgetaboutit! Decided to make the first purchase using a gift certificate today and flunked redeeming the card — Amazon has a 21 page book, free for prime, with instructions on adding a gift card on your account. Tried to follow the steps several times, no luck. You have to recognize the floating box of letters and numbers which also have strikeouts through them. Rejected each attempt.

My old kindle is looking good right now. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.