Cowboys Nation 2014 - Romo Denied MVP - Lawsuit pending?

I mean, that was just embarrassing. Not just the whiny little hissy fit on the sidelines but the whole meltdown... would anyone be surprised to learn that the entire Cowboys organization was involved with some kind of huge Vegas betting scandal?

This presumes that anyone in the US is dumb enough to bet on the Cowboys to win, of course - but wow!

This article really makes me happy:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/27/dez-bryant-tantrum-tony-romo-dallas-cowboys/

Giant fan that I am, I have this on a t-shirt...

I think the Cowboys are playing a 1-5 team next week.... so I suspect the die-hard fans will be back beating their chests talking about Cowboys Supremacy again soon.

I'm just glad that Dez Bryant has managed to stay out of jail for so long - otherwise we'd have to rely on Tony Womo for these widdle biddy outbursts...

Geez.... this guy DESERVES to play for the Cowboys - something that I never thought I'd say about anyone. Of course, this comes off the Cowboys page so you have to expect a certain amount of whitewash... for example, there's nothing in this article about the star Cowboy punching his mother in the face (now THAT sounds like 'positive passion'!).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000270969/article/cowboys-dez-bryant-unapologetic-after-outbursts

Dez Bryant got a lot of attention on Sunday for his sideline tantrums directed at Tony Romo, tight end Jason Witten and wide receivers coach Derek Dooley. Probably too much attention, considering all the amazing moments in Detroit's last-second win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Bryant was unapologetic after the game. He sees his emotion as a strength.

"My passion is always positive," Bryant said, via ESPN.com. "It's always positive. It's going to remain the same way. I'm not saying anything wrong. I'm not saying anything bad. It's all positive. That's just what it is. I'm the nicest person off the field. When I'm on the field, even when I look angry, it's still all good passion. It's all good passion. I feel like that's what we need. I'm going to remain the same way. I feel like I love this game. I love it. In order to win, you've got to be passionate about this game. You have to be. You've got to let that dog come out and just put it all out there on the line."

We essentially agree. Bryant might learn over time that being so demonstrative puts his teammates in a bad spot in the locker room answering questions, but ultimately his passion is part of what makes him great. This is football. A lot is said on Sundays that is immediately forgotten afterward, except by those of us writing and talking about it.

"That's [the media's] problem, because everybody knows up in this locker room who I am," Bryant said. "It's been that way since Day 1. The day that I got drafted, like I told y'all, don't get it twisted: I love this game. I love my teammates. That's what it is."

The outbursts will get a lot of attention, especially because the Cowboys lost. Jason Garrett has lost too many excruciating games late in the fourth quarter as the team's head coach. Dallas' defense gave up a brutal last-minute drive and more than 600 yards of offense on Sunday. Yet Bryant will be the focus.

"He is the only guy on that team that plays with that kind of passion. The only guy," Deion Sanders said on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Highlights. " ... At certain times he shows immaturity. (However), you can't want the passion, mental toughness and aggressiveness on the field but not want it off the field."

Bryant was one of the main reasons the Cowboys were ahead in the first place. Sideline rants might be fun to watch, but they don't decide games.

What did the drainage grate do to you?

ligeti said:

How about this?

Ummm... how about it? Is that where they're putting the Cowboys playoff hopes this year? oh oh

The grandiose self-important explanation is the best part of these kinds of episodes. And no, the "passion" is not what makes him great. Talent - speed, coordination, size, etc, - is what makes him and other great athletes great. There are plenty of marginal journeymen pro athletes who have passion.

DaveSchmidt said:

What did the drainage grate do to you?

I suspect that Ligeti is not upset at the grate... if he were, he'd simply rip the metal out of the concrete (let's just say he's extremely strong and leave it at that), bend it into the shape of a Cowboys star (though the words "star" and "Cowboys" don't really seem to go together, do they?) and then walk away. I suspect there would be an admiring throng of women gathered around him as he waited for the Penn Station elevator (since there are too many stairs to actually climb, after all).

I'm not sure what would happen next.

bub said:

The grandiose self-important explanation is the best part of these kinds of episodes. And no, the "passion" is not what makes him great. Talent - speed, coordination, size, etc, - is what makes him and other great athletes great. There are plenty of marginal journeymen pro athletes who have passion.

Speaking of marginal journeymen pro athletes... I was impressed with the way that Tony Romo swallowed his own self-pitying whines during the postgame interview and gave a credible defense of Dez "almost a felon" Bryant yesterday. I mean, Tony's not much of a football player but he gives a heck of an interview.

Here's my dad's impression of this thread:

In all fairness, though, it must be hard to be a Cowboys fan. It's not that they're almost pathetically unable to perform under pressure... though that's true... but they have such a strong hype machine running you almost get sucked into thinking that they're a real football team. THEN the disappointment of mistake after mistake gets really soul-crushing.

I sometimes read the semi-literate postings on cowboys.com after a good beating (like the one last night) and man... it's some funny, funny stuff.

My guess that to be a true Cowboys fan today you need to have an almost unlimited capacity for self-delusion; ignore reality at all costs and instead invent a "Walter Mitty-esque" fantasy world for yourself to live in.

I only hope that no one takes it to the extreme of fantasizing that they're an actual Dallas Cowboy player - because when you start acting like that and you don't have Jerry Jones behind you.... you just go to jail.

case said:

My guess that to be a true Cowboys fan today you need to have an almost unlimited capacity for self-delusion; ignore reality at all costs and instead invent a "Walter Mitty-esque" fantasy world for yourself to live in.

America's Team.

(Just a joke, folks.)

Maybe Jerry needs to build a bigger stadium...

Someone just sent me a great article on The Cowboys from deadspin.com... classic:

My favorite quote from this one - "The only bright young spot on this team is Dez Bryant, who is always one step away from being arrested in a botched jewelry heist".

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2013-dallas-cowboys-1263538485

Your quarterback: Tony Romo. Offensive genius Tony Romo! And I love that Jerry Jones is the only person on Earth who places Romo's football intellect on the level of, say, Peyton Manning. Jones treats Romo as if he's already won six Super Bowls, and is not the fumbling mess he's always been.

Keep in mind that the Cowboys gave Romo $55 million in guaranteed money this offseason. Not three seasons ago. This offseason. You're talking about at least three more seasons of the Cowboys pretending that Romo is one of the best quarterbacks in football and NO ONE in Dallas believing it. He's a Cowboy forever. Maybe they'll make him part owner! I wonder if Jerry owns a pair of magic glasses that turn Romo into Tom Brady whenever he looks at him. Some sort of QB beer goggles. I bet Jaws also owns a pair.

They're still waiting for Tony Romo to develop into an elite passer. At age 33, it's probably not going to happen.

Tony is understandably annoyed at all the negativity that surrounds him. Apparently he was giving a phone interview after the last debacle... sorry, after the last game... and the reporter pissed off Tony so much that he lost his temper and hurled his cell phone against the wall. Needless to say the phone was intercepted and run back for a touchdown.

I'm not sure why its so hard to be a Cowboys fan. Did you see the score of the Jets game or the Jacksonville game? That's tough stuff for a fan. Whatever the shortcomings of the Romo era, Dallas is overall one of the more succesfull franchises in NFL history. Nothing to whine about.

case said:

Tony is understandably annoyed at all the negativity that surrounds him. Apparently he was giving a phone interview after the last debacle... sorry, after the last game... and the reporter pissed off Tony so much that he lost his temper and hurled his cell phone against the wall. Needless to say the phone was intercepted and run back for a touchdown.

grin)

I'm loving this thread.

bub said:

I'm not sure why its so hard to be a Cowboys fan. Did you see the score of the Jets game or the Jacksonville game? That's tough stuff for a fan. Whatever the shortcomings of the Romo era, Dallas is overall one of the more succesfull franchises in NFL history. Nothing to whine about.

That's true. They have won the NFC East twice in the last 10 years.

ridski said:

case said:

grin)

I'm loving this thread.

Me too! :-D

Glad you guys liked that joke... did you hear the one that Tony Romo told to his receivers?

It went over their heads.

case said:

In all fairness, though, it must be hard to be a Cowboys fan. It's not that they're almost pathetically unable to perform under pressure... though that's true... but they have such a strong hype machine running you almost get sucked into thinking that they're a real football team. THEN the disappointment of mistake after mistake gets really soul-crushing.

I sometimes read the semi-literate postings on cowboys.com after a good beating (like the one last night) and man... it's some funny, funny stuff.

I only hope that no one takes it to the extreme of fantasizing that they're an actual Dallas Cowboy player - because when you start acting like that and you don't have Jerry Jones behind you.... you just go to jail.

We'll, these ARE the people who elected Rick Perry, Ted Cruz, and Lou Gohmert.

And speaking of geniuses... I wonder if Ligeti is looking for another use for that finger? grin)

Can you say...."double dog"?

"New play from Callahan. Dez, you go this way. Jason, you go that way. I'll hit whoever's open."

looks like Mrs. Ligeti has control of the MOL account this morning

What a strange coincidence. Dez has rage issues also.

Why can't we all learn to use our words?

Well guys, I think we need to let this thread die... much like the Cowboys dynasty from last century. I'd love to continue (and God knows there's enough material) but someone has pointed out that further posts could be viewed as discriminatory. While I contend that being a Cowboys fan shouldn't qualify you for protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act, I concede that there IS a gray area. Also, I'm afraid that Ligeti has used up both fingers in his defense of his beloved team and I would hate to think what photo might come next! grrr I don't blame Ligeti for his less-than-literate postings... I mean, what can you say about the Dallas Cowboys lately? Its humiliating.

I'm sure that "America's Team" will demonstrate just how great they are when they play the 1-6 Vikings this week. Maybe Dez Bryant can avoid another whiny bitchfest (sorry, "display of passion") on the sidelines.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.