Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

annielou said:
Do you think Roberts Flack was 90% responsible for the greatness of that song?

nope. While I love her version, and have listened to it for decades now, that song happens to be all about the lyrics.

Hmmm. Something like “Nothing Compares 2 U”, then. ( Sorry, bad running joke).

annielou said:
Hmmm. Something like “Nothing Compares 2 U”, then. ( Sorry, bad running joke).

um, actually not close to that other controversy.

2018 joined its brothers and sisters.  Got mixed reviews at best but it had a good beat and you could dance to it.

Nancy Grace Roman, 'Mother Of Hubble' Space Telescope, Has Died, At Age 93

Slashdot

Russell Lewis, writing for NPR: When Nancy Grace Roman was a child, her favorite object to draw was the moon. Her mother used to take her on walks under the nighttime sky and show her constellations, or point out the colorful swirls of the aurora. Roman loved to look up at the stars and imagine. Eventually, her passion for stargazing blossomed into a career as a renowned astronomer. Roman was one of the first female executives at NASA, where she served as the agency's first chief of astronomy. Known as the "Mother of Hubble," for her role in making the Hubble Space Telescope a reality, Roman worked at NASA for nearly two decades. She died on Dec. 25 at the age of 93. Roman fought to earn her place in a field dominated by men, paving the path for future female scientists. She was born in Nashville, Tenn. in 1925 and organized an astronomy club in fifth grade. She attended high school in Baltimore, where she requested to take a second year of algebra instead of a fifth year of Latin. When she made the appeal, she recounted in a 2017 interview with NPR that the guidance counselor wasn't supportive of her dream to become a scientist. Her efforts helped lead to the creation of the Hubble Space Telescope. In her role at NASA, Roman developed and planned the Hubble Space Telescope, which is famous for its stunning images of space. Because of the Hubble Space Telescope, scientists have been able to collect data and gain insight into even the most remote galaxies of the universe. The success of the project led to future space telescopes. Roman's work, however, reached far beyond just the Hubble Space Telescope. In an interview with NASA, Roman once stated that one of the highlights of her career was when she discovered the first indication that common stars were not all the same age.

Super Dave Osborne (Bob Einstein) first came to fame as Officer Judy on Smothers Brothers.

Aww bummer - he was great on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I used to watch Bizarre! just for Super Dave.

I truly thought Super Dave had passed away about 10 years ago.  Explains why a friend posted his photo on FB today.

Loved Super Dave. His brother is pretty funny, too.

Daryl Dragon The Captain of The Captain and Tennille. 76, of renal failure.

Love did not keep them together, but they stayed connected and I read she was with him when he died.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Super Dave Osborne (Bob Einstein) first came to fame as Officer Judy on Smothers Brothers.

Learned from his obituary that his younger brother is Albert Brooks, who changed his name from Albert Einstein.

In the late 50s, their father Harry collapsed next to Milton Berle during a Friar's roast gathering honoring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in Los Angeles and died shortly afterwards.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
Daryl Dragon The Captain of The Captain and Tennille. 76, of renal failure.

nan said:
Love did not keep them together, but they stayed connected and I read she was with him when he died.

It's not that the music is 'dying', it just seems that our beloved music-makers seem to be leaving us all at once...so many in the past year or so. LOL 

I suspect a lot of playlists will feature nostalgic hits for the next few weeks. 

Dean Ford of the Marmalade, a pet favorite of mine, with an official Nugget in "I See the Rain" but plenty more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/obituaries/dean-ford-dead.html 

One before my time:

And one that takes me back:

That's sad.  He was really talented. 

Thanks for the reminder about Marmalade. Reflections is a great song, which somehow I had forgotten to add to my Forever Playlist. Fixed.

LOL Our late friend Sam was head of the fan club, here. 

It’s sad news, indeed.

joanne said:
LOL Our late friend Sam was head of the fan club, here. 
It’s sad news, indeed.

His character of Blank Reg in the short-lived and thoroughly under-rated Max Headroom TV series was a hero of mine. In a world where not carrying government issued ID is illegal, and everyone works for and trades in credit sticks, Blank Reg and the other Blanks lived off the grid, utilizing cash only and refusing to be identified in any way. 

He was great in other shows like Star Trek TNG and Babylon 5 and movies like The Keep and Wild At Heart. Just a dependable, likeable actor, no matter how bad the film was, he shone in it.

we think that the early Shakespearean acting showed (and was often overlooked) - he had such subtle expression changes, and wonderful voice projection. Mark, too, has inherited the talent for projecting the inner turmoil of his characters. 

Sam and I used to spend hours talking about various performances, especially if they’d done a double-act. She loved it when either came to a Convention here (Mark used to correspond with her, and was saddened when she died suddenly, wrote to her mum).

I was sad to read about Professor Sir Michael Atiyah’s death

https://www.ias.edu/news/2019/sir-michael-atiyah-celebrated-mathematician-dies-89

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46850763

Not that I understand his work, but the impact of it and his passion for learning and sharing knowledge have left such a huge legacy from which we all benefit. 

Carol Channing, omnipresent on early sixties TV and theater. 97.

annielou said:
Carol Channing, omnipresent on early sixties TV and theater. 97.

Plus Ryan Stiles' impressions of her on Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Wouldn’t have thought she was so old, she seemed timeless.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46878018

Mel Stottlemyre, January 13, age 77.  Pitcher for the Yankees in late 60s, early 70s. Later pitching coach for Mets and Yankees (5 World Series, including 1986 Mets). 

John Bogle, January 16, age 89. Founder of The Vanguard Group, credited with revolutionizing the mutual fund industry. 

In praise of Jack Bogle,  he not only made it possible for the investor to do so efficiently.......he

lowered fees to allow them to keep more of their gains.

Aged 113years and with a sweet tooth, Masazo Nonaka has passed away.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/20/worlds-oldest-man-masazo-nonaka-dies-in-japan-at-113

In his lifetime, not only did the world change enormously, Japan’s culture changed, too. Even sumo wrestling, one of his favourite things, has undergone massive changes in the last decade. 

May we all go peacefully, and loved by our families. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.