2020 Democratic Presidential Debate #1

Nan already calling Bernie’s win tomorrow lol

I hate making predictions but here is a safe one. Beto will be gone before the Summer is over, maybe even before the 4th of July.

nan said:
 You said he was good with the gun policy, right?  Is this it?  He's talking about that and Supreme court too.  
Supreme Court nominees (dumb question)
DeBlasio: Getting back to guns since he wants to give HIS personal story.  Now on to Mitch McC - sounding Progressive . . .
Warren:  They are trying to get Warrren some time.  Mitch McC.  Do you have a plan to deal with Mitch McConnell.  Crowd goes wild (cause they are Warren supporters probably)
She is giving back ground. . . the fight still goes on.  Everyone we energize on the front lines. . .she's going on and on. . . 
Delaney:  (bipartisan manner--why do you think McC will work that way?)  He stands up for  bipartisan - He needs to drop out like yesterday.  He's awful.  Just get him off. . they are trying but he won't shut up.
Booker:  The Mitch question?  He's trying to out African American DeBlasio.  Liberation.  

Its a 14 point plan so how much could he say. Licensing. OK. He's reminding inner city folks he lives in Newark so marketing.. Could have been better. Agreed.

Tough question for Tulsi but she is handling it well.

Beto - farmers getting flooded.  Miami, coastal cities.  Fund resiliency for communities on front lines of climate change.  $5 trillion over 10 years.

Castro - Puerto Rico, everyone counts.  Getting things done in San Antonio.  HUD Secretary - rebuilding from natural disasters in a sustainable way.  Recommit to Paris Climate Accords.

Tim Ryan - looks like a deer in headlights.  Blows off question about carbon tax to talk about how D-party has lost touch with the people.Need to be working class party.  Blue collar party.  All I'm saying here......

Delaney - Carbon pricing works.  Put a price on carbon, give money back to American people.

Tulsi Gabbard - I think she's a robot.

Climate Change - start with Inslee

Inslee:  Goes back to McConnell.  He says climate crisis.  Our last chance to do something about it.  We need to do what I've done in my state.  We have a vision statement.  Gold standard.  Who is going to make this the first priority.  ME!!!!!!!!!!  

Beto:  What if people don't like what you have?   You have to bring everyone in . That is why we are travelling everywhere.  Pacific junction. . .bad situation.  We are going to fund and mobalize them and give them lots of money. . . Farmers and ranchers in the drivers seat.  . . Beto talk. . . Beto talk. . .He's going to stop the planet from warming-personally.

Castro:  (people who live in places they should not for climate):  Not the vast majority of the issue.  Mentions PR.  I have executive experience!!!!  Don't like him but he is doing well in this debate.  

Ryan: (how to we pay for it?)  Going back to previous question - perception problem not connecting to working class people (Ryan as Bernie--not working).  This guy needs to drop out.  He's awful.  Did I say that already or was it another guy--there is a bunch of them that need to go.

Delaney:  The other guy that needs to drop out.  Price on carbon. . .can't stand this guy. they are trying to get him off.  They need a hook.

Tulsi (attcking her on LGBQ views - GOTCHA as predicted).  She has to defend herself.  Good for her.  She turns it around.  Gives great answer.  

Booker: will fight for trans individuals. 

Not that she's my candidate but no one is commenting on Klobuchar. She's smart but not grabbing anyone on this forum's attention.

By the way Rachel is doing a respectable job.

If any of them said, "If Mitch pulls that crap I'll get him over to the White House and hand his *** to him", that person would be the Nominee.

STANV said:
If any of them said, "If Mitch pulls that crap I'll get him over to the White House and hand his *** to him", that person would be the Nominee.

Are you sure you haven't had even a teensy glass of wine?

I’m actually impressed with Klobuchar. She’s more impressive than I expected. She’s not going to win but she’s really quite smart. Ryan, O’Rourke, Inslee, and Delaney should drop out now. 

I am impressed and relieved at the civility of this. No one’s going after another person or dragging them down. This is the only tone that’ll unite this party at the end of this presidential run. If they start tearing each other down, we’re doomed. 

conandrob240 said:
I’m actually impressed with Klobuchar. She’s more impressive than I expected. She’s not going to win but she’s really quite smart. Ryan, O’Rourke, Inslee, and Delaney should drop out now. 
I am impressed and relieved at the civility of this. No one’s going after another person or dragging them down. This is the only tone that’ll unite this party at the end of this presidential run. If they start tearing each other down, we’re doomed. 

Agreed there is no Chris Christie on the stage.

Again, go Tulsi Aloha!

Tulsi is making her point very strongly.

Insley:: "The greatest threat is Trump: 

They keep asking Beto questions and he keeps flubbing.

How to get black and Latino votes:

Klobuchar:  platitudes. . . Stem jobs.  go home Amy.  Make sure everyone can vote.  

Castro:  Only Latino Dem.  Is Amy enough?  Also think we need to recogn racial and social justice.  He talks about black victims.  Reform police.  

Lester with viewer quetion:  Does US have a respon to protect people threatened by their -- regime change question. . tough question.

Beto:  says yes, but with allies parternes friends. . . Beto. word salad.  attack Trump.  Nonsensical answer.  Go home Beto. 

Deblasio :  jumps in about cogressional authorization:  His father killed himelf from PTSD. 

Ryan:  (Taliban killed 2 Americans--out of Afganhastan?).  17 years in Congress on arms services committee.  You have to stay engaged in these situations.  Yuck hope Gabbard chimes in soon.  Thee flare ups distract us. Trump is the problem.  Get him off.

Gabbard:  YEAH!!!!  Unacceptable answer.  She says we are no better off in Afghanstan than we were before.  I am ready!!!!!!  Yeah Tulsi!!!!

Ryan responds:  This is the realiy - the TAliban.  Tulsi - nails him.  She makes mincemean out of Ryan.  

Biggest threat (China, climate change, nuclear war, Russia)

STANV said:
They keep asking Beto questions and he keeps flubbing.

Beto is toast.  How do you say that in Spanish?

Impeachment.  

Beto: Word salad and save this democracy.  Impeach yes.

Delaney: (Accountability - prosecute Trump after office?)  Always a first - no one is above the law.  I support Nancy P.  She knows what to do.  Did I mention I think he needs to drop out?  He does rightly say this is not an important issue for average Americans.  Ok, he gets a few points but he still needs to leave.  Won't stop talking. . .

Amy K. Russian interference. . . time for a break.  

nan said:

Well usually I just say Salud as I raise my glass.

Convo couch:  They don't think it is fair debate.  Only giving some candidates time to speak.  

Thought they would all say Russia was the biggest problem but only DeBlasio who was doing well until then bombed on that.

They predicted someone would say "Donald Trump was biggest threat" and they were right.

Surprisingly, they thought Ryan made some good points until the foreign affairs question when he said Taliban attacked us.  Gabbard got in good statments. 

A solid candidate who doesn't make any mistakes might be what the doctor ordered.

mrincredible said:
A solid candidate who doesn't make any mistakes might be what the doctor ordered.

So who do you nominate.

nan said:

desayuno  cheese 

if a Democrat wins, Jay Inslee is the next head of EPA  

Closing statements:

Delaney:  I'm great vote for me.  With real solutions, not impossible promises.  Don't expect too much.  I will fix everything but no M4A.  

DeBlasio:  It matters for the heart and soul of our party -- that we nominate Bernie (except he thinks it is him while describing Bernie).  Pre-K.  and putting working people first.  We need to be that again.

Inslee:  I have grandchildren.  I love them.  So I am trying to save them.  Moral servitude.  I am only candidate who has this as the biggest thing.

Ryan: Nothing worse than not being heard or seen.  Cause I represent these people. I'm ready to play some offense.  Tent city in LA.  Get back on track.  lots of examples.  Lift everyone up.  You will not be forgotten.  

Gababrd:  our nation was founded on backs of -- of by and for the people but that is not what we have.  Now we have the rich running things and that is going to change.  Also clean air, water and green economy.  Justice for All.

Castro:  Spanish.  Very proud shows progress.  My grandmother came here from Mexico.  American dream is alive and I will work to get it for you. Adios to Trump

Klobuchr- I listen to people and that is how I get things done.  Got 100 bills passed.  I can beat Trump.  I am not the establishment party candidate (yes you are).  I will govern with inteqrity.

Cory B. I live in Newark vote for me.  I taken on tough fights.  Trump.  I will beat him by calling this country to have a sense of purpose. . platitudes.  showing the best of who we are. . 

Beto: I"m here for the childen.  I'll be there for them.  Can't return to the same old approch.  word salad.  platitudes. . .that's how we beat Trump.  . . . 

Warren:  Great to be here. Did not think I'd be here.  My brothers joined the military.  I wanted to be a teacher.  My family did not have the money for me to go to college.  . . it opened my life.  I believe we can make our cournty work for eveyrone.  I promise I will fight for you as hard as I fight for my own family. 

END>. . 

PVW said:
 desayuno  cheese 

That's more than toast. It's breakfast.

The "pundits" are picking on DeBlasio and surprised that the candidates didn't talk more about Trump.

Too hard on the candidates. They are trying to represent us. Let's just be grateful that they are a pretty smart diverse group with decent intentions.

Convo couch:   Who won and lost?

Don't see it like that.  Everyone sounded like Bernie!!!! (that's what I said!!! - they agree with me).

Did they have to speak Spanish?  Pandering.  Beto, Ryan did bad.

No clear winner.  Thought warren did a good job but too many people on stage to show a clear winner. ONly a little going back and forth. Most answered the question.

Tulsi and Hezbullah - that was disgusting -- that they framed the question like that--a direct attack on that and the LGBTQ community--gotcha.  When did you last beat your wife?

Tim Ryan, Delaney, DeBlasio (some good points), over.

No winners and losers - Best closing statement "your 45 seconds is over"

DeBlasio - passion stood out but he's not a winner. 

This was a slanted debate for Warren, but this field needs to be condensed.  

One person thought Cory Booker won--we know he is full of crap but his pasion showed.  He did well on stage.

Also thought Julian Castro did well.

There was no question on racial justice:  But they could have brought that up. 

They are talking about Booker and charter schools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auV5ndye18s

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.